Insimenator.org
April 23, 2024, 05:52:48 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation Problem! Registry Key help maybe?  (Read 1946 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Charley

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2008, 05:17:42 pm »

Hi, well... my external hard drive case thing is broken, one of the wires has come lose and needs soldering back on. I had to buy an external drive case because my motherboard despite having spaces for connections to IDE drives, doesn't seem to recognise them and will only recognise SATA drives and plug my external hard drive into the USB slot.

Anyways my Sims was installed on the external drive and now as my thing is broke i can't play my sims. When i tried to install my sims to my C: drive, it fails to update and says the installation will be terminated.

I think this has something to do with the Sims already having registry keys so the computer thinks its already installed, but obviously can't find the files to play because the drive is not connected.

I was wondering if anyone knew where i could access these registry keys so i can delete them and install my Sims on my C: drive, or if this is dodgy and i should just wait and get my external hard drive case fixed as i don't want to ruin it completely!

Thanks

Char
xxx

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:32:33 pm »

Start - Run - regedit

Browse in the Registry Editor to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EA GAMES
Anything installed from CD/DVD will be listed here.
Export the settings before deleting.  Once you get your hard drive back, and assuming everything is still loaded there, you'll be able to import the settings back in and not have to reinstall to get things working.

Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Electronic Arts\EA Core\Staging
Anything installed from a digital download from will be listed here.
Again, export before deleting.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 07:47:41 pm »

Thanks for the info! I have done what you said and i have just played my sims for the first time in like 2 weeks!

Char
xxx

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:19:09 pm »

Fantastic!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: