Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 08:51:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game won't start. Help please [resolved]  (Read 2088 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
atiyatia

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2008, 02:38:24 pm »

Hello,

I have a little problem. I have been trying to get my game to start for the past twenty minutes and for some odd reason [for the second time in the past two weeks] - it won't.

The first time this happened I ended up uninstalling all of the expansion packs - stuff packs - along with the base game and re-installing everything. I have the same downloads due to cutting and pasting the folder onto my desktop and cutting and pasting it back into my sims folder once I re-installed. Could it be something in my downloads folder that causes my game to not start?

Is there something that I can do without redoing everything?
Any response on this will be appreciated.

=)

-Atiya
Jelly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 02:45:02 pm »

This has happened to me.  This is when we download somethings and take things out and it gets the files all stretched apart and it has a hard time finding them all.

Go to My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 and when you are in there you will see a bunch of files you should have two that are cache files you can delete them do NOT delete anything else but the cache files and then start your game as normal and it should work, hope that helps.

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 02:49:09 pm »

It absolutely could be something (or even some things) in your Downloads folder that are either incompatible or in conflict.

Temporarily move the contents of youir Downloads folder to someplace else on your computer, then see if the game starts okay.

If it does, then it is something in your Downloads folder which is causing the problem.

The only sure way to pinpoint which item(s) are involved are to add back a portion of the Downloads folder at a time, each time starting up the game to see if it is okay.

If it is, then add in some more items and start up again.

If it is not, then you can further whittle down the most recent items you added to Downloads to hone in on the culprit(s) and remove them altogether.

Hint: Sometimes included in custom content are Collection files, and often having these in the Downloads folder instead of the Collections folder can glork game start-up. Using Clean Installer to find items lised under Type as Collection, then moving just those items from the Downloads folder to the Collections folder may also help.

Also, in your My Documents--EA Games--The Sims 2 folder, delete the groups.cache file - the game will generate a new one when it starts.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:51:44 pm by rwills » Logged
atiyatia

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 02:55:13 pm »

Thank you for the quick responses you two!

=)

I will try both your suggestions.
Thanks again.

-Atiya

*edit - you both were right! I deleted the .cache files and it's working fine now.

=)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:59:11 pm by atiyatia » Logged
faiithx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 01:54:03 am »

This is what is happening to my game. It does the song thing at the begginging then it loads up to the last box on the loady-thing then it says something like aplication terminated and then i press ok and it closes.

I'm almost certain that it's something i downloaded yesterday which narrows it down a bit. The only thing is that i downloaded ALOT yesterday and i have no idea what item is causing it let alone where to find it and what it's called.

Is there anyway i can find out what item it is without individualy putting 1 download in the folder at a time? (This would take ages because i have over 10,000 downloads)

I would really appreciate any help, i miss my simmies Sad
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:57:02 am by faiithx » Logged
kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:11:46 am »

atiyatia: Rwills has some great suggestions.
http://nene.modthesims2.com/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Finding_Problem_Custom_Content

In fact, using this guide from the link below will really help. It may take awhile (it took me a few days because I have thousands of downloads) but it is worth it in the long run to go ahead and do the subfolder organization:

http://nene.modthesims2.com/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Organizing_Custom_Content

The link above is a life saver. A few days organizing once and sacrificing game play is better than having to go through every single download to find one culprit all the time because after this, you know where everything is. Because of this, I can go through them by groups. I usually start with removing my Hacks / Mods (because they are usually the culprit). But this way, I can go through them by groups, too (Ex: Hacks / Mods: Careers, then Hacks / Mods: Items, etc.). At least they are all in one place as opposed to going through thousands of downloads to try to weed out all my Hacks and Mods individually. This is just way too time consuming and you are more susceptible to headaches / destroying your computer this way. Plus, not all Hacks / Mods are easy to find.

Helpful hint for faiithx: Use the organizing custom content link above (the second one). Downloading hint: When I download, I download more than one or two CC items at a time. Usually, I'll do like 9 or 10 items. So, what I do, is NOT download them into their sub-folders right away, but I make a new folder with either the date, or labeled "new downloads" so I immediately know where the culprit is if my game won't start.

Hope that's helpful for you guys.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 11:23:08 am by kinnika » Logged

"[T]here's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing[.]"; Hence: There are a lot of great Sims stuff out there for free that are just as good as name brands you pay for!

So please, take note: http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/
faiithx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 05:35:46 pm »

Thank you soo much kinnika it worked.
& That's a great idea (putting them in folders with the date)
Thank you! Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: