Insimenator.org
April 25, 2024, 11:40:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: That's right... stupid questions from the village idiot (that would be me...)  (Read 3178 times)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic.
danceswithwands

[= *DAZZLED* =]

View Profile WWW
« on: October 17, 2008, 12:05:39 am »

Get out the wet noodles and prepare to beat me with them for I am back with yet more stupid questions.  Heheehee! :shh:

I am going to update my simpe for the new EP but that made me wonder...

1.  If I have things like download organizers or compressorizers... do those have to be updated or do they work the same no matter what ep you have?

2.  I also downloaded the patch for EP8 but now I am unsure if I need to only install that one... or also return any old patches for previous EP's with my download folder (once I purge it of all the incompatible crap of course).

EGADS- I had forgotten how HUGE my download folder really is! :smt120

Anyhoo that is all- only TWO ridiculous questions this time.

I openly admit that my search for the answer skills suck.  I apparently ask things no one else ponders... or just don't type the right "words" in for a good return on my searches.

So- if it's below your superior brains to answer me that is cool- but if you know the answers- and feel like sharing- I'd be quite appreciative! Cheesy

In the mean time let me go try to search under "you must be kidding" and "who let the dufus out" maybe I'll get lucky! :worship:

~*~ Donna ~*~
I DO NOT ANSWER ANY PM REQUESTS! PLEASE READ POST#26 AT MY THREAD! *HERE'S THE LINK: http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,85501.0.html
downunder2006

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 02:22:40 am »

The download organizers and the compressorizers work fine with EP8 :smile:

I have tested them,and have not come across any problems so far.
The new Simpe is great,you don't have to worry there.

But as for the EP8 patch I totally advise you not to install it, as it corrupted my whole game Including my downloads folder, then I had to do a full Clean reinstall of all EP'S and run registry mechanic to clean the registry entries prior to reinstalling.

Just leave all your patches the way they are with the previous EP'S you have,

just don't install EP8'S one yet!

So I don't care if other people say the patch for EP8 is working fine No it's not!
so if you want problems I advise you not to install the patch until EAXIS yet again gets it right.:tongue8:

You can ether take my advice or suffer the consequences,(but don't say I didn't warn you,ha ha ha ha.) lol :angel:
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:38:26 am »

Quote from: danceswithwands;1421908

"who let the dufus out"

When exactly did they let you out?!!? :laugh:

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
Krystylfalls

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 08:10:02 pm »

HELP! The PATCH ate my neighbourhood! I cant believe it. Wish I had your post a few days ago downunder2006.

I installed the AL Patch, loaded and played my game for a couple of hours, and quit it. Everything seemed fine. Today I loaded my game clicked on the university button in my own village window in the Neighbourhood Selector Screen and it started to load. When I came back the screen had returned to the villiage selector screen and my villiage was gone, disappeared, no longer there. No village No university.
I have all EPs & have installed all patches. I did not have any sims in my neighbourhood I was starting them in uni. My sims are in an apartment (a dorm which I remodelled & made into an aparment). My game played fine until I installed the patch.
Can anyone help please?
Squinge
Spamming Dork
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 09:28:16 pm »

Did you backup your hood prior to installing the patch?

If you have a question about my mods post it here
downunder2006

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 11:14:47 pm »

Quote from: Squinge;1423017
Did you backup your hood prior to installing the patch?

Squinge,it is always a good idea to back up your hoods :smile: as we should all know!

But even when I had a backed up hood with the patch installed in the game,you eventually will end up with the same problems!!

So I ended up having to do a complete uninstall,reinstall without the AL patch.
As stated above.

Krystylfalls,So if you backed up your game prior the patch,as Squinge mentioned try it out :happy8:

But if all fails ,you will have to do a complete Clean uninstall, Then you run registry mechanic, Then complete reinstall.
Then it would be wise to check your downloads as they could be corrupted like mine ended up,mind you they were fine before the AL patch was installed:tongue8:

It took me over 20 hrs to sought this problem out,so It is your choice on wich ever way you choose to go.

But I know I won't be installing the patch for a while!!
Krystylfalls

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 07:37:32 am »

Thanks Squinge & downunder2006 for replying.
I know, rather dumb - I always back up my games etc. before I install new eps & patches etc. but for some crazy reason I didn't do it this time. So I guess my neighbourhood is gone.
I appreciate the suggestions. One of my major concerns was if I started again would the same thing happen again. I guess from your experience, downunder2006, I can expect it will. So I will do as you suggest & try again with an older backup & see what happens. I hope my downloads are not corrupt, its such a pain sorting out problems with them. Anyway I may have to do an uninstall, reistall etc. One thing I am not sure of is 'run registry mechanic'. Does that mean check the registry to see if any of Sims is not removed with the uninstall?
Thanks again. When will we be able to trust the work of EA? Why release a patch if it not only doesn't work but does damage to our game? Hopefully a new one will be available soon.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 12:47:12 pm »

Ok, something I'm not quite seeing.

If you install the patch and then play the game without problems, how is the patch the problem after you quit, then decide to play again?  The patch is a set of static files, not a program that runs on the sly and eats your game files.

The patch works as intended.  If you lost your neighborhood, it's because of something you did.  It's not the work of some mysterious malicious force attacking your computer.  It's user error.  

When you install a new EP, and then fail to update mods, it's not EA's fault your game doesn't work right.  It's user error.

If you don't back up your files before installing or uninstalling content and you lose something, guess what.  EA has warned us constantly to backup before doing that.  The possibility of losing your saved games is something they weren't smart enough to program around, so they issue this warning to protect you against their stupidity and laziness.  But, if you install or uninstall without making that backup, in light of that warning, it's user error again.

All of that being said, I've installed the patch without backing up my neighborhood and custom content.  My neighborhood still plays fine.  My CC is all there.  My sims world didn't come to an end after X number of game restarts.
danceswithwands

[= *DAZZLED* =]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 02:04:10 pm »

Thanks for all the replies.... can you say dufus?  I forgot where this post was - LOL

I actually had issues and that was why I was wondering about the programs like compressorizer- etc.

I don't know if it was or wasn't patch related but yes- the install of EP 8 did lots of nice things- it also ate my other neighborhoods- made my mods/hacks go berserk (yes even the new compatible ones) and some other scary things that I tried to fix- and had the game "working" for about two days before it began to crash...

Anyhoo--- found that the best thing to do was to uninstall/reinstall then place my mods/hacks/cc etc in folder by folder bit by bit... followed by lots of copy/paste from backup files for missing people/lots...

I only ended up losing two houses that were in the bin...

AND I managed to get ALL neighborhoods back in the process...

So it was a good and bad experience.

I hadn't seen many of the original neighborhoods since EP2 LMAO!

It is all working ok for now (fingers crossed) and if I can just find the light house I'm missing I will be pretty happy.  Cheesy

~*~ Donna ~*~
I DO NOT ANSWER ANY PM REQUESTS! PLEASE READ POST#26 AT MY THREAD! *HERE'S THE LINK: http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,85501.0.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: