Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 02:59:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Neighborhood disappeared...  (Read 3297 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Zggs
T.M. Riddle supporter

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2008, 09:28:00 pm »

Ok...right now I want to cry.

I went to the menu where you can choose the neighborhood to play.  I had a custom neighborhood that has completely disappeared.  I didn't back up the neighborhood and under neighborhoods the file for it is still there.  Is there anyway I can get it back?  Please help!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:34:44 pm by Zggs » Logged

*Ahem*
Yes I'm obsessed with Harry Potter.
No I don't care what you think.
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 09:52:14 pm »

How many custom neighborhoods do you have? Also, what are their names? (for example, N002)

And do you have two copies of your neighborhood (like a backup) in the Sims 2 folder?

(3rd) Ae Young Kim Mother of the Year
Zggs
T.M. Riddle supporter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 09:56:39 pm »

The one that disappeared was the only custome one I had.

It's under N002 in the folder but when going into SimPE it isn't in the neighborhood browser.  There's only one copy of it though.  I really hope you can help.

*Ahem*
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 09:58:54 pm »

Do you have a neighborhood manager file? It should be under N002.

Zggs
T.M. Riddle supporter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:02:52 pm »

Yeah but nothing shows up...in SimPE it says unknown and there's no files.  But in My Documents the files are there...just not in SimPE or in-game.

*Ahem*
adreyn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 10:10:21 pm »

I just had a similar problem, because I had to transfer my hoods over. I had one hood show up, but not the other. So, I recopied it, deleted the one in the neighborhoods file and then put the copied hood in it's place, started the game, and it worked. Be careful, that you don't lose that hood.
Maybe, instead of deleting it, you should move it to the desktop and wait and see if the copy works. I think that is what I would do.
If that doesn't work, then hopefully, someone more experienced can help you. I just thought I'd put my 1 cent worth here.
Smiley
Zggs
T.M. Riddle supporter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 10:12:29 pm »

Hmm I'll try it.

*Ahem*
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 10:45:41 pm »

I recommend Adreyn's solution.

You should create a new custom neighborhood. Then transfer all files from N002 into N003. N003 will replace the old neighborhood.

If N003 does not show up after your re-start the game, then you may have a few corrupt files.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:48:04 pm by Jasumi » Logged

Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 12:21:50 am »

Quote from: Jasumi;1438777
You should create a new custom neighborhood. Then transfer all files from N002 into N003. N003 will replace the old neighborhood.

This will only work if you rename ALL the files from N002 to N003. I use a program called CKRename to do that sort of thing. http://www.musicsucks.com/CKSoft/CKRename/

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
miros1

In Miros We Trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:22:38 am »

I'd do a slightly different variant.  The thought of having files with N002 files in an N003 folder is really scary to me, especially if you eventually make another 'hood that takes the n002 slot.

I'd drag the damaged hood out to the desktop or other safe place or zip it up.  You don't want more damage.  

Check to see if there's an N001 in the Neighborhoods folder.

Run the game.

If there's no N001,  create a custom 'hood with a "throwaway" name.

Create a new hood.  This will be your new N002, so give it the name of the lost hood.  If you remember (or recognize) which terrain is used, use it again.

If you created an N001 'hood and don't need it, you can delete it now.

Quit the game.

Zip up your new N002!  Very important, you don't want to have to recreate it!

Delete the N002 you just made. Drag or unzip the original N002.

Try the game.  If it shows up, only the Neighborhood Manager was damaged, and you're back in business.  If it doesn't work, you've got corrupt/damaged files and you've got one heck of a picky job ahead of you.  It goes something like this:

Quit the game.
Delete or drag out the corrupt N002.
Unzip the new N002.

Repeat this part until you can't remember your name or the 'hood looks normal:

With both N002 folders open in front of you, Delete one folder from the new N002 folder and drag the same folder from the old N002.  

Use the right mouse button so you can Copy, not Move.

Try the game.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'd do the files and folders in this order: Thumbnails, Storytelling, Characters, Lots, N002_Neighborhood.package, N002_Neighborhood.png and other files for the sub-hoods.

Good luck!

Rose/Miros
Webmaster of the Wooden Simolean
Jasumi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 02:58:31 am »

Quote from: miros1;1438842
I'd do a slightly different variant.  The thought of having files with N002 files in an N003 folder is really scary to me, especially if you eventually make another 'hood that takes the n002 slot.

Not necessarily. The game will overwrite all the neighborhood manager files as it is starting up. Though I like the level of detail in your post.

Zggs
T.M. Riddle supporter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 08:45:41 am »

Hmm...well N002 disappeared just now on my desktop when I tried replacing back but I'll remember this advice if it happens again.

*Ahem*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: