Insimenator.org
April 20, 2024, 08:54:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Help, Writers BLOCK!  (Read 8792 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Devomuffins

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2008, 04:30:28 pm »

I've run out of ideas for Fae miller :smt120 and I wondered if anyone wanted to suggest something. I'm writing another story (which I promise not to post until I have at least ten chapter ready to be posted one by one) and its a simalar style but I could really use a new idea for this one. Thanks to anyone who helps.
Devilfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 05:25:06 pm »

Well I can't tell you what to do obviously, but in my experience if you're stuck it's best to go and do something completely different for a couple of days. Read a book, watch a movie, anything that's not related to writing.

As for the sims, I always get inspired browsing for custom content. There's so many magnificent creations out there that are just begging to be used in a story. That's where I get most of my inspiration.

It's a bit vague but I hope it helps. Just don't stress out over it and something will pop up. Something always does. Good luck!

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 05:49:32 pm »

The thing about making a good story, is to know what is going to happen before you post it. I always write my stories before I post them - though, I might add chapters in between the finished ones while I'm still taking pictures for them. Also, it's a good thing to lay a little ahead with the chapters. I actually lie ahead with two chapters this time with LFB (but that's because I may not have time to do a new chapter next weekend, due to my schoolwork...).

what ^ says is good advice. Also, I've noticed that when I go through what I've already written, and correct spelling mistakes and such, I often come up with new things to write (I've added several new chapters to my own story that way). And it's also a good idea to always have something to write on nearby. You never know when inspiration might hit you (sadly, paper get wet in the shower... and being late for school when inspiration pops up doesn't help either... Sad)

If I've got a really bad writer's block, it sometimes helps me if I read through the other 30-40 unfinished stories I've got... they reach all from one or two lines to 20-30 pages, but I never seem to get the inspiration to finish them... Sad But I sometimes get inspiration for other stories by reading through them, and sometimes I even manage to write some more on them.

I've also noticed that when I'm taking pictures for my stories, I come up with new things to write. Inspiration comes when you least expect it to... Smiley
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:51:40 pm by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Devomuffins

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 12:05:54 pm »

I think I'll go take more pics like you said raven, thats what inspired the second chapter of my unposted story.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:37:04 pm »

If I'm ever writing and I get stuck I just pull out a piece of paper and start jotting down ideas I can use to get past the point I'm stuck at, not matter how stupid it is. For example, if I've gotten my characters locked into a basement and need to get them out, but there are armed guards upstairs, I'll maybe write down "someone fakes sick and they get their hands on a weapon...nah, to cliche. There's a small window high up, but it's too high to reach. They need to get one of the smaller people up there...hm...this person gets caught, and they get separated, ooooh...what if..." And so on.

Sometimes just rattling off everything you can think of can get the ball rolling and start you going again. One idea sparks another....which sparks another...until you have something you can work with.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 04:47:55 pm »

ooooh - great idea, joy Cheesy I think I'll use that one the next time I'm stuck... Cheesy

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Astral Faery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 11:12:05 pm »

I've used that strategy a few times when I was stuck.  I try to turn the story over in my mind and look at it from a different angle.  Like, if the part I'm stuck on is from one particular character's point of view, I try to look at it from another character's viewpoint, even if I don't intend to write it out - because it can help me clear a block.  I also ask myself lots of questions - how did the characters get there, what are their options, who can do what to move things along, etc.  Sometimes it takes days, but some really hard thinking helps me out sometimes.

Visit me on my blog - Astral Faery's Magical Tales
-For some awesome reading try SimTales:  http://simtalesblog.blogspot.com/
-Need high quality downloads?  Shop Sugah's Place.  A wall to suit your every need, plus much more.  Stop in today!
Devomuffins

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 12:30:08 pm »

Thanks tons for the help guys! Cheesy
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »

I do something similar Astral Faery. I have my own Q&A session.

Sometimes, even just writing down things in point form works. It can get you to a point where you can continue writing, and then you can go back to the section you just jotted out in point form and flesh it out later.  I've done that a number of times.

Oh, and something else I do. It's not really related, but I find it helps in writing. Everyone has the thing they need to work on. With me it's immersing my characters in their surroundings. I'll be writing along and then realize that my characters are well developed and dynamic but, as far as anyone reading it would be concerned, everyone is in a big empty white room. So I keep a notebook on my desk and have "See" "Touch" "Hear" "Smell" written across the top. Under each word I'll write down what my POV character will see, the textures they might feel, sounds they would hear and so on. Also, the mood they're in will have an effect on what they perceive. For example someone in a good mood will look at a pond and see the lily pads dotting the surface, notice the light dappling the water or hear the playful ripple and splash of water as a frog jumps in. Someone in a darker mood might notice the stale smell of rotting vegetation or the way the dead leaves and surface algae swirl close to the shore.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 11:40:37 am »

oh my. i love the discussion you guys have going on here. I haven't written in a while and all your techniques are really cool. I might just steal them Smiley

The Price of Redemption ~My Sim Story! Check it out!
Devilfish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 10:12:22 am »

Another thing I do when I get stuck is get out some paper and write down some thoughts from several characters' POV. If a situation arises that multiple characters are involved in and you let all of them have a say about it, in character, it really helps to give you ideas about how to resolve the conflict and what your characters are all about. It's not easy, it's almost like acting really, but you can get some amazing results.

Stelio Kontos
Resident Reptilian
Loot Looker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:37:44 pm »

Rock Justice's Conquering Writers Block 101: A Basic Course Overview:

-List several possible plotlines from after where you're stuck.
-Run them through your head.
-Did that? Good. Now run them through your head again, evaluating what you see as their overall effect on the reader.
-And again.
-And again.
-And so on and so forth.
-Keep on doing it, but not for too long, alright? Or else you'll end up like me, running several-year-old ideas through your head like they were just created a few moments ago.
-Run you ideas by other people.
-Use their reactions to effectively eliminate some plotlines from usage. (But file them away for possible future use.)
-Log onto here.
-Check thread for other ideas.
-Combine all previous ideas with mine.
Zorom

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 05:12:37 pm »

Is there any element of fantasy in the story?
Maybe Ophelia could get replaced by a fairy changeling?
Does Freya come back as a ghost and...warn them of something? Bless Autumn?
Maybe there's some sort of family curse, or a deep secret handed down for generations...
In every legacy I've read, there's always a perfect marriage. Life doesn't always work out that way, though, I think someone should have a generation where realistically something goes wrong, you know?

Devomuffins

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 10:46:44 am »

It's funny you would suggest that Zorom, because in the oringinal story Fae is a changling baby. I ended up cutting it out and leaveing the explaination for her elfish looks up to the reader's imagination.

As for the imperfect marrige suggestion, that applies to Esme and Jason, who really don't have the same dreams in life. But yes, it would be a good twist.
Zorom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 02:09:07 pm »

xD We all know Esme wants children, but what does Jason want?   Evil
Is Freya a ghost? Does Jacob know that Fae is a changeling? You could have some interesting dialog there. Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: