Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 06:19:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: This is strange  (Read 4306 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
mynxtres

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2008, 07:22:45 pm »

Ok, I just decided to get Bon Voyage and now I'm starting to regret it. I have Seasons installed but it won't show up now that Bon Voyage is installed. When I start the game it dosen't show on the Launcher screen as one of the expansion packs and when the game is at the neighborhoods I get a message saying that I unistalled seasons and to continue will get rid of all its components. What's going on? I can play Seasons when Bon Voyage is not installed. I would uninstall Seasons but the disc was ruined. Can I save all the program files for seasons and reinstall it that way or am I just going to have to get a new disc?:smt120

"Put Your Big Girl Panties On and Deal With It!"
:glasses7:
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 07:54:29 pm »

Have you installed all patches relevant to what you have installed?

http://thesims2.ea.com/update/

If not, do so.
mynxtres

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:04:52 pm »

I thought I did. I just downloaded the patch for Bon Voyage. Now here's a question that may be just a bit dumb, but... Doses the little icon.exe have to stay in the file after it's ran or can I delete it?

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:06:23 pm »

After you've clicked on it and installed it, you can delete the .exe file.
mynxtres

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 08:22:02 pm »

ok, that's done and it still isn't working.

Jenna
Queen of Spamming
Admin

Who farted?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:28:04 pm »

Fun, isn't it? I had a similar problem a long while ago; when I installed Nightlife, it then proceeded to uninstall University on me. As to why, I never figured out. Reinstalling University, however, solved that problem.

Moral of the story? Reinstall Bon Voyage to see if that fixes your problem.

Quote from: Engram
Jenna and I make cute babbiez! LOL
Quote from: Isadora
Great, another night of chicken chair typing.
mynxtres

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 08:33:34 pm »

Too much fun :sad3: Thanks. oohkaay, I'll try again.

mynxtres

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 08:49:42 pm »

Nope. That didn't help. My question now is, can I just copy the Seasons exp program from my computer to disc, uninstall Seasons and then reinstall it from the copied disc?

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 09:17:09 pm »

Before you uninstall or reinstall anything -- always make a back-up of your My Documents--EA Games--The Sims 2 folder first.

Always.

Before doing anything that, drastic you might check that your launch icon is pointing to where it should be.

Right-click on it and choose Properties.

See if the location it is showing is the correct one (it should be pointing to the newest released, not the newest installed, expansion).

Also, look in the same folder (My Documents--EA Games--The Sims 2) and if there are any of the following there:

groups.cache
cigen.package
accessory.cache
Content Registry

delete them. This is absolutely safe, and the game will auto-generate new ones. Those files can become glitchy with use, and may be having their own headaches with the new EP you installed, so fresh versions might clear things up.

If some of the files listed aren't there to be deleted at all, that's okay, too.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:23:46 pm by rwills » Logged
mynxtres

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 10:40:55 pm »

I'm not really sure what your talking about when you say "make sure the location is correct" The only "location" I see says documents and settings/allusers/desktop. There is something that says Target location and that's in TSBin.

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 11:00:23 pm »

Yeah, Target Location. Don't try to change it, but just confirm that included in the location address is included the newest-released (not necessarily the newest-installed) expansion which you have installed.
mynxtres

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 11:20:25 pm »

Ok. Got what your saying; they are the same. Bon Voyage is the latest or newest installed expansion that I have.

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:53:51 pm »

O.K. -- then go ahead and try deleting the files I mentioned above and see if it launches for you.

Again, deleting those files does no harm and can actually improve game performance afterwards when playing with the new ones the game auto-generates for you.

If that doesn't do it there is another thing to try, but fingers are crossed for you.
mynxtres

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 12:47:56 am »

K. Tried all of that. The thing is when I went in to My Documents/EA Games... the The Sims2 folder is GONE! I guess uninstalling and reinstalling Bon Voyage got rid of it?? or put it in another place that I have no idea where. The install paper said that it would automaticaly install the program into a different place than the The Sims2 program, but maybe it didn't and wrote over the other file. In which case I think I may have to reinstall EVERYTHING.

So Thanks for all of your help rwills. :notworth: If that is the case, are those saved Seasons' files gonna work?

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 01:24:51 am »

There is no other place the game would install that file, as far  as I'm aware.

But just to be on the safe side,  do a search for files on your computer and look for a file named SC4Terrains -- if the search finds such a file any place other than in Program Files (there is also a file named that there, but that one isn't the one you're loking for), it should be inside your The Sims 2 folder.

If The Sims 2 folder is gone, and you do not have a back-up, you will have to begin from scratch, I'm afraid, so far as I know.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: