Insimenator.org
April 29, 2024, 10:04:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: what are those packages that are just numbers and letters do i need them?  (Read 1307 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
PrincessTalli

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2008, 11:25:26 am »

i just downloaded about 12 custom sims and i put them all in the same folder so they're all jumbled together but now when my games loading it shuts itself down which usually means its something i've downloaded i dont see what could be causing it usually sims are fine theres a lot of files though that are just a long line of numbers and letters do i need these or can i try and delete them all? because i really dont want 2 have to take out all my new sims x

* sims pack.doc (118 KB - downloaded 85 times.)
jamesabrown1
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 12:09:02 pm »

They are certainly suspect. Usually, they are not needed and can be scrapped, especially if they are empty. They have a formidable reputation for causing problems. You have my sympathy, I spent 5 hours last night laboriously tracking down a bug that came in via a download, something someone forgot to remove, no doubt. Anyway, you should be able to just delete those and then see if they were the cause of the problem. I do have several that are legit. If you have clean installer, run it against the downloads folder and it will identify duplicates (pink), hacks (red), and empty packages. If you don't have it you can find it at http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/ . The ones that were causing me grief were test_engines and test_game_edition_flags. It was not serious in my case, it just went into a loop showing owner name on any sink the cursor happened to pass over. Good luck. Also, go the the EA\SIMS2 folder in my documents and delete the groups.cache and accessories.cache files, they get corrupted sometimes causing the game to crash or not load. The game will rebuild them when you restart it. It is a good idea to do this after every download session, just to keep them clean.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 01:35:16 pm by jamesabrown1 » Logged
DecoraChroi
Frigid Witch
Super Mod

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 03:15:18 pm »

Chances are you downloaded a sim that either is corrupted, contains a borked mesh or the sim was packaged with content from an expansion pack you may not have. The sims exchange for one, is not a good site I recommend downloading sims because of the unexperienced upload things without properly knowing what they are doing. If you want to remove any of the sims you imported, and you dont know who's the culprit, you will need to delete them from your Saved Sims folder. Located in "EA Games\The Sims2\Saved Sims"

Also, a common file from Bon Voyage can and often gets attached in sims and lots. It will look like a jumble of letter and numbers.

"The power to question is the basis of all human progress."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: