Insimenator.org
April 19, 2024, 07:59:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Downloads Organizing...  (Read 2699 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
kinnika

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2008, 01:30:50 pm »

Okay, so I'm working on only my second day of trudging through my hellishly disorganized Downloads and looking forward to the next few days of doing the same thing until I am completely satisfied.

My question is... what in the heck are those long numbered downloads in my folder? They're just a long strand of numbers and a few letters in between.

Example: 0b27df818a344d34a9bc98bf7778 0001, and these: 0191506a, 0191506b, etc.

I don't like these things, lol. I'm sure I can get away with throwing them in a sub-folder. It's never affected my downloads before, I don't think. Are they important or can I get away with trashing them? I have tons of them!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:37:09 pm by kinnika » Logged

"[T]here's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing[.]"; Hence: There are a lot of great Sims stuff out there for free that are just as good as name brands you pay for!

So please, take note: http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 01:42:54 pm »

They can be objects.

Every now and then, I run my folder through the Download Organizer. It gives me a description of what those downloads are.

You might want to take a look at the size of those. Sometimes if you download Sims, they come with this 6MB file that's totally useless and you can delete it.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:46:52 pm »

Thanks, EK. This may sound like a silly question, but, how do I know if it's useless? Can I tell if it is through Download Organizer (which I seem to be having problems with) or Clean Installer?

Well, I just looked them up in Clean Installer, and it's telling me its an object recolour. So, is it just extra baggage that came with those recolour downloads?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:49:25 pm by kinnika » Logged

"[T]here's a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market that are just as tasty as the real thing[.]"; Hence: There are a lot of great Sims stuff out there for free that are just as good as name brands you pay for!

EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 02:49:02 pm »

What you'll want to do is, scan for duplicates. If you can do that with Clean Installer. I think you can. Dump/delete the duplicates.

I've got a ton of those files with numbers and letters. That's the only way I can tell what they are.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 03:57:08 pm »

Yeah, I went ahead and deleted all the duplicates and nada - they're still there. They say they're object recolours. So, who knows. I just didn't want to dump them with the risk of screwing something up. I guess I could just put them in a sub-folder so they aren't crowding in with my Insimenator and Inteen downloads, right?

hardwaretoad

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 04:12:20 pm »

It's a numbering system created within the game's perameters. Many object creators don't bother renaming their respective creations to something more recognizable. I wouldn't just start deleting things willy-nilly for lack of names. To make it easier to scan in CI for duplicates click once on the MD5 button at the top and wait for it to load all of your CC. It'll line all of your CC up in numerical order by the coding the game uses to recognize things. Duplicates will then be stacked next to each other making it very easy for you to see just how many there are (in pink) and then you can delete them or make them innactive.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:16:03 pm by hardwaretoad » Logged

\"Jeux sans Frontieres\"...
kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 04:55:46 pm »

Yeah, I deleted all my copies already. I really don't like deleting things out of my game, in case I used it already and if I liked it. So, I have a tendency to not delete something if I don't know what it is. But thanks for the tips, anyway.

EK - Okay, I figured it how to find out which item goes with what using the Clean Installer. Its all good.

Thanks for your guys' help. I think this way, I'm going to try to just rename them - or add a more legible title for each numbered item.

Whew! That's another months work! My Simmies are killing me - they're killing me...

One more question: I asked this before but never really got a response, so I'll try again. I know that I'm supposed to download my Collection files directly into my Collections folder. But, with a lot of time gone by and me trying to mess with it and organize it, it kinda got screwed up. So, when I put my Collection files back into my folder, are all those items from one collection supposed to be with that Collection file, or do they stay in the Downloads folder? And if they are supposed to be in the Collections, can they be sub-folder (the actual items of the Collection, not the Collection file itself)?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 05:29:00 pm by kinnika » Logged

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 06:26:31 pm »

Generally speaking, what goes in the Collections folder are the Collection packages, plus any accompanying image file. The image file is the icon that shows on each individual collection folder in game.

There are probably some rare exceptions, when custom content might better be in the Collections folder, but those are very few and very far between, and noted as such by the creator offering the download.

If you scan your Downloads in Clean Installer, then click the Type tab to re-organize the list after it has fully loaded, you can scroll down and see if there are any files labeled as Collection currently in your Downloads folder. If so, right-click on each of those files and Move them to your Collections folder.

You can also do a separate CI scan of only the Collections folder. Choose Browse in CI and navigate to the Collections folder to have CI scan only that folder. That makes it a bit easier to check if there are things there which should be moved to Downloads instead.

As for sub-folders, so far as I'm aware there is no problem with having those in the Collections folder, but wouldn't recommend having too many sub-folders within sub-folders. Mostly it's personal organizational preference.

My own set-up just has one sub-folder, into which I throw all the collection  icon images.
kinnika

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 07:07:57 pm »

All right, rwills. Thanks.

By the way: Where in the world do Lots go after that short stay in the Teleport folder?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:27:12 pm by kinnika » Logged

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:07:39 pm »

Quote from: kinnika;1463377
All right, rwills. Thanks.

By the way: Where in the world do Lots go after that short stay in the Teleport folder?

They go automatically to the LotCatalog file when the game is launched and run (presuming everything is A-OK - once in a blue moon a file can get stuck in Teleport).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: