Insimenator.org
May 11, 2024, 11:40:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: elau's default skins  (Read 7662 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
rockChick

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:32:44 pm »

im new as to how this works, so please bear with me. i downloaded elau's default skins from MTS2 and i loved them for a while. But now I removed them from my downloads folder just yesterday and i loaded up my game and I went to CAS and I clicked on the skitone next to dark and it didn't show up as the Maxis default skin. I have mostly skins from MST2 and here as well. if anyone can help me, it's much appreciated! Smiley
ladymiriam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 04:02:57 am »

I'm a little confused as to what you mean, I understand you had default skins then you took them out.  What is the problem with the skin you're trying to use now?  I have default skins and there are 4 skin packages and one override package, have you taken all the default skin packages out including the override/default one?  If you have you should be left with whatever was there before you put them in, but you probably know that.   Sorry I can't be of any more helpjust now.

rockChick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 11:29:43 am »

The skins are showing up as elau's default skins. I want them to be the original Maxis ones. I have taken out the default skin packages, but I don't know what you mean by the override/default one. do you know what it might be named? I didn't put these in my downloads folder, I put them in another folder I have called Teleport. I just removed 4 files with the same name so I'll check that and see what happens.
ladymiriam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 12:24:31 pm »

In my case I have Hysterical Paroxsym's default replacements, when I downloaded them there were skins files for each of the skins to be replaced and another which made the default, if you see what I mean.  Without that default package, the skins just show up as normal skins that are selectable in CAS but do not replace the maxis ones.  It sounds as if you still have the packages in your game somewhere, if they are still over riding the maxis skins.  If you don't know what the files are called, then go back to where you got them and redownload them, then you'll know what they're called and you can search that way.  Good luck with it.

rockChick

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:39:24 pm »

I went back to MTS2 and looked on where i got the skins from. I only saw the 4 files to be downloaded and nothing else. I may be overlooking something. Do you know how to look for the default package?
ladymiriam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 03:47:20 am »

Maybe your skins files don't work the same way as mine do, different creators and all that.  I'm really not an expert on these things but if your maxis skins are not showing up then you must have them overwritten by something and I don't think the game would work very well with 2 different sets of defaults in there.  I think I'm at a loss as to what could help you.  I only ever use the download folder myself, unless something installs itself somewhere else. 
If you've removed the skins files from the place you put them, and they still show up then they must still be in your folders somewhere.  To test this, rename your Sims 2 folder (the one where all your user files are kept) so that the game will ignore the folder and generate  new ones.  When I've done it, I renamed it to The Sims 2backup.  As I said this will have the game create a new set of folders when you load it the next time, and of course anything you had in your game won't be there.  Now you'll be able to check your skins in CAS, they should be as you expect them because it's essentally a new game.  If the maxis ones are as you want them then your default skins are still in your original files.  Once you have tested you can delete the new Sims 2 folder and rename your original by deleting the 'backup' part.  Your game should work as normal.  If you feel uncomfortable with renaming the folder, you can move the folder to another destination on your computer and the game will still generate a new folder in its place.  Sometimes it's better to rename just because of the speed of your computer, size of files and stuff.
Do you have Delphy's Download Organiser?  It can help with finding files quickly, duplicates  and things.  You'll find it at Mod the Sims.
Sorry but I don't know how else to help you, as I said I'm not an expert.  Good luck anyway.

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 06:16:42 pm »

A couple of quick points:

1) Those files don't belong in the Teleport folder. The Teleport folder is a repository for Sims2tmp files used by the game to then properly install lots in the LotCatalog folder and the Lot Bin.

2) Open up your Teleport folder. If there are any files at all inside of it, delete them.

3) Delphy's Download Organizer will (almost always) list default replacement files as 'Replacement.'

4) Clean Installer will (almost always) list default replacements as files having no Type (blank entry in that column). If you click on the Type tab in CI after the files list has finished generating, that will re-sort the listing, and the blank Type items should be at the top. Every file listed by CI with no Type is not necessarily a default replacement, however (for example, the creator of some custom content may have neglected to encode a Type with the file).

5) If your Teleport folder is empty and your skintone situation still exists, then it is almost surely due to a file (or to multiple files) in your Downloads folder.

6) A remote possibility is also that a stray file might have accidentally been installed in your Saved SIms folder, so would check that out as well via DDO and/or CI, just in case a default replacement got placed there inadvertantly.

Not all that familiar with the ins and outs of DDO, but remember that your can Move files using CI rather than permanently and ineradicably delete them, if you are unsure of what a file is and might possibly want to put it back into your game.
rockChick

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 06:21:14 pm »

Thank you. I emptied my Teleport folder. I am going to boot up my game and see what happens and I found the files in my downloads folder. Thank you for all your help.
ladymiriam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 03:38:59 am »

See, people here show me to be the amateur I am!  I was hoping someone else would step in with some advice.  I'm pleased you've tracked the files down, good luck with the reboot.

rockChick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 03:58:38 pm »

okay. I rebooted my game and I went to CAS all happy and excited that I finally fixed my problem. but I was wrong. I clicked on a skin and it showed up as Enayla's default replacement instead of the Maxis Default ones. I have a picture to show you what I mean. If anyone can help, please do. here's the link: Thank you
ladymiriam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 05:22:28 pm »

Oh no, I feel for you, it's rubbish when you think you've done it and bam! it's still there.  Again, I would suggest generating new folders, if the maxis ones are there, the problem is in your user files but then you know that.  Also, you may have done this but many of us don't, go back to the download page at MTS and read every page and especially every comment there, someone may have had the same issue with these skins.  Sorry, don't know what else to suggest but hope you get there.

rwills

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 06:09:09 pm »

If it is showing up in the game, then it is a file in your Downloads folder (or, though a thin possibility, Saved Sims or Collections folders).

If you haven't already, temporariuly move the Dwonloads folder to your desktop and see if the problem goes away (just Quit, don't Save the game). If it doesn't, then the problem file is in a different folder.

Also, in My Documents--EA GAmes--The Sims 2 folder, delete the following if any of them are ethere:

groups.cache
accessory.cache
cigen.package

Perfectly safe to delete those; the game will generate fresh ones if it needs them.

Though time-consuming, the old reliable 50% method may be of help:

http://www.simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Finding_Problem_Custom_Content#The_50.25_Method

Just remember not to Save the game when you have temporarily removed content.
rockChick

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 08:41:27 pm »

i have a lot of files in my SavedSims folder that start with ebbfd947_ and have random numbers and or letters after that. ive tried and im at my wits end. i dont want to delete all my CC because it has taken me a long time to find it all. i dont know what else could be the problem. wait, searched my downloads folder and i found one of the files for Enayla's skintone called Early Spring and I scrolled to the right and it said File Folder next to it. any ideas?
rwills

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 09:07:16 pm »

Temporarily move that folder out and see if the prob goes away.
Engram

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 08:49:26 pm »

i have a lot of files in my SavedSims folder that start with ebbfd947_ and have random numbers and or letters after that. ive tried and im at my wits end.
Those are things that were created by the same creator. Most probably they are sims and probably made by you since they all have the same filename start sequence of characters.

Delete all the cache files, plus cigen.package. From the sounds of it, you either had more than one set of skintone default files in your folder or you're clicking on icons for custom skintones and thinking they are defaults. Also, "I clicked on the one next to S4" is not very descriptive. You could be clicking on S3 or on a custom skintone. So what are you actually clicking on? I can understand your frustration but "I clicked on the one next to it" does not actually tell us what you clicked on. You say "I clicked on a skin and it showed up as Enayla's ..." - did you click on a default or on a custom skintone? How many icons are there in the skintones section? Are there just 4 or are there more? Because I genuinely have no idea what you are clicking on.

Ell-jay: lots, sims, defaults and other downloads<br />The Thunder God went for a ride upon his favourite filly.<br />\"I\'m Thor!\" he cried, the horse replied<br />\"You forgot your thaddle, thilly!\"
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: