Insimenator.org
May 04, 2024, 01:52:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Romeo + Juliet: The truth. Need help!  (Read 5286 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Punk Rocker

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2007, 07:59:19 am »

I doing A Romeo and juliet theme story and i need an idea of some sort what will happen! Please help!:sad4:

Cheesy May all your bacon burn! Cheesy
All hail me! I am the o-mighty Punk Rocker, rocking ruler of Wonderland. Guitar Please *A hand passes Punk Rocker a guitar* YAY! *Plays the guitar*
The Mule

Beast of Burden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 12:21:22 am »

Romeo, thinking Juliette is dead, kills himself....

Yes...its the same Mule as before
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 02:48:58 am »

LOL mule. Smiley

the play itself should be inspiration enough methinks.

The Price of Redemption ~My Sim Story! Check it out!
simcat06

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 04:21:53 am »

Well all I know is that Juliette takes something and she falls asleep or is unconscious and when Romeo is arrives he thinks she is dead so he takes poison and dies. But then Juletee wakes up and sees he is dead so she ends up killing herself. And I know they were teenagers. Only 14!!! Is that what you wanted to know?Huh?

Check out my new house 24 Maple Drive Here :rabbit:
summer_wine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 10:14:55 pm »

Quote from: simcat06;618373
Well all I know is that Juliette takes something and she falls asleep or is unconscious and when Romeo is arrives he thinks she is dead so he takes poison and dies. But then Juletee wakes up and sees he is dead so she ends up killing herself. And I know they were teenagers. Only 14!!! Is that what you wanted to know?Huh?

you go it simcat! but i don't know what other ideas we can add to that, i mean, as it is, it's already a tragic love story....

what am i saying? all love stories are tragic, one way or another LOL

The Price of Redemption ~My Sim Story! Check it out!
darkener14

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:48:35 pm »

Perhaps reading the play or watching Zefferelli's production to give you inspiration. A modern piece wouldn't be half bad either like whoever's work with Claire Dane's and Di Caprio's work.

Children on the streets using guns and knives,
Taking drugs and each other’s lives,
Killing each other using knives and forks,
And calling each other names like dork.
"Think About It" -- Flight of the Conchords
darkener14

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 03:52:23 pm »

Frankly, it's hard to compete with Shakespeare and his original idea, so I would stick to the iambic pentameter and his original writing.

It's more than being teenagers and taking poison. It was more of being locked up for so long (and then having an arranged marriage to this ugly conceited man(Paris)) and then finding this guy (Romeo) at a masquerade ball and falling in love with him as he expresses his love for her under a moonlit night and then he is taken away from her and sent to barren lands only to see him again in death.

Her father didn't even want her to marry at the age of fourteen. It was his only child and overall, his life. He would rather had waited a year to send her off to make babies for this guy who would cheat on her and never come home. Her father (Capulet) was trying to save her.

On to history (I feel like I'm back in school), the life of a woman was short and dangerous. They had to have children young because by the age of 25 or so she was considered an old hag. Men in the 17th century or 16th century would run around and drink and their wives would have been happy just to see them for awhile in their lifetime. I guess that goes for most of history as well...

Romeo is a character in himself, also. He's whiny, conceited, a child, ignorant to others, and one-set minded. You can see what I mean in the first act before he met Juliet when he's fonding over his cousin or some other woman (Rosalinda, I believe). Juliet, though, acts like a young girl who is confused and looking for solice in something and trying to mature before her age.

I think I've written too much though. What is important is to understand poetry and Shakespeare himself.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:19:28 pm by darkener14 » Logged

Punk Rocker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 06:50:39 am »

Great! My Update is today!

Cheesy May all your bacon burn! Cheesy
All hail me! I am the o-mighty Punk Rocker, rocking ruler of Wonderland. Guitar Please *A hand passes Punk Rocker a guitar* YAY! *Plays the guitar*
palabravampiress

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 01:56:10 pm »

*I apologize in advance for typing too much.*

I suggest that you read the play and grasp the plot and the characters before you try to base a story on it. I LOVE this play. Every time you read it, you read something new. Did you know that the first time Romeo and Juliet meet is a sonnet, with the characters physically moving closer together with each stanza and then kissing on the final couplet?

While you've got to love the bard's fabulous writing, I love his cast of characters even more. Everyone knows Romeo and Juliet, but who knows of Mercutio and Romeo, or Rosaline and Romeo, or Tybalt and Lady Capulet? If I were you, I'd write a story from the POV of one of the supporting characters. Some interesting characters that you might want to include in your story:

The Bawdy Nurse: She is in constant competition with the mother - for Juliet's affection, loyalty, and obedience. She is basically a mother without the status of one, which adds pathos to what would otherwise be a merely amusing character. This motivates some very funny lines as well as some questionable actions and advice on the part of the bawdy nurse - and boy is she bawdy! think about how she might feel after her failure to provide real guidance ends in her charge's death. Oh - and, consequently, she'd also be out of a job.

Mercutio: Romeo's best friend, Mercutio is a jealous, outgoing character. He is very popular. Everyone loves Mercutio, and yet he is still deeply troubled by something that makes no sense to the other characters. In the original play and especially in Baz Lutherman's modern adaptation, you also find lines that might lead you to suspect that his interest in Romeo is more than friendly. Mercutio is dead by the end, but you may want to explore the original plot from his point-of-view, with Romeo as the object of desire and Juliet as a threat and vixen.

Benvolio: Benvolio is the voice of reason in an unreasonable world. Whenever a character proposes peace, suggests that a character take a moment to think before he/she acts on emotion, or warns of consequences, it is most often Benvolio (although the prince and the priest perform these functions when Benvolio is off stage). Unfortunately, he is most often ignored and also often drawn unwillingly into intense emotional situations in which he always attempts to calm the situation or put things to right. In the aftermath, Benvolio would probably inherit Romeo's birthright. It would fall to him to restore peace and order to the house of Montague.

Tybalt: Tybalt is all spleen, and therefore stands in direct contrast to Benvolio, as both are characterized as the most influential among their respective masters' men. Tybalt seems entirely devoid of reason. Whenever a fight occurs or harsh words are exchanged, Tybalt is most often the instigator. As a fun side note, you might find lines in the play that suggest that he was having an affair with Juliet's mother. :-) Again, he is dead by the end, but you might want to explore the original plot from his point-of-view.

You might also enjoy playing around with Juliet's licentious father or with the ethical dilemma faced by the priest when he decides to assist Juliet in deceit of the first order in order to prevent her threatened suicide - and then fails. Another character who is not often touched upon (because she does not appear in the action of the play) is Rosaline, Romeo's former love who broke his heart when she decided (or her parents decided, that is not clear) to become a nun. Presumably, she is at the Capulet dinner, and so she has the chance to witness her love gravitating toward another and then dying for this new love. Rosaline could take it as proof that her decision to live chastely is correct, or she could feel as though the entire situation is her own fault, and then spin out of control. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!
darkener14

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 03:13:11 pm »

I think it would be more fun to stick to the iambic pentameter that Shakespeare greatly revolutionized in his work. I don't want to be rude to any one, but it would be hard for me not to critique your work (very) harshly if I felt something was off.

There are so many ideas underneath this that most do not ever recognize. Some named are the contrast of light and day, such as the balcony scene when Romeo proposes his love to Juliet. Others could be of Juliet herself when she walks into the chapel to secretly marry her first love, Romeo. There are religious remarks depicted only for a second and so many secrets lying in Juliet's speech when she talks to her mother.

I hope you understand that this is a hard thing to do, especially when people are going to ride your coat tails until you do it right.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: