Insimenator.org
May 05, 2024, 07:31:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Resolved: What happened to the SimPE Website or software?  (Read 3240 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
vita4all

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2007, 06:14:12 pm »

This morning they were operating.  Suddenly, not only is SimPE's server not found, but their software doesn't work, from viewing Sim Description to using their Photo Studio to make your own wall hangings.

I know they have the capacity to update automatically everytime I turn on the computer... and can disable the program if they want.  Servers fail all the time, but their software not working is a first for me.  Does anyone have a clue?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 08:58:24 am by vita4all » Logged

For a few nice downloads, visit our site, http://gangstersims.com.
PiperK1980

Abnormally Typical

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 06:20:24 pm »

I tried to go there and IE can't display the page. I thought I'd come here to see if anyone else is trying or if not, I would post about it. I was wanting to see if they had updated it or any news about updated it for it to work with Seasons.

Bummer.

Click here to join The Animal Army! It's good for what ails ya!!

X-Men Fan? Join today!
SkeleBear

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 08:36:09 pm »

Apparently, the server or site is temporarily "down." Give it some time and it should be back up.

vita4all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 12:59:30 am »

The server is not only down. The SimPE software was disabled. These two problems are independent of one another.  In my two years of using SimPE, it's never been disabled because of server failure.  I wonder if the program was intentionally disabled. This could have only occured because I allowed the SimPE program in my computer to communicate with their server via an open port in the firewall.

The only way to not have a specific program in your computer communicate with it's maker is to place a firewall around all ports.  Many program applications have an open port to allow communication, such as your computer's antivirus software, Photoshop, Microsoft, Windows, Adobe, Sims 2 and SimPE, so they can update when you turn on your computer or even do so invisibily as you work, unless you select otherwise and choose manual updates.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm an expert - I'm not. I'm not terribly savvy with computers, but one remedy to avoid this is to right click on the icon that looks like a badge called Windows Security Center and click open. Click on Windows Firewall. Go to Exceptions Tab. If you don't see SimPE and Wizards of SimPE on the list, click Add Program and add them. Leave the boxes unchecked and press okay.  Now they should be completely firewalled.  And if you're fortunate enough to have a copy of your last updated application from SimPE, maybe in your backup file or recycle bin, reinstall it.

Micco

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 07:03:07 am »

Something went wrong with your software. I loaded SimPe and while it said that it couldn't connect to the internet, once I clicked out of that the file I was checking loaded.
This is just a Warning. It is supposed to keep you informed about a Problem. Most of the time this is not a Bug!

You can deactivate the Version Check in Extras->Preferences... .

.NET Version:

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
SkeleBear

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 08:58:57 am »

And, lo and behold, now the server is working again.

Lucky guess......

vita4all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:11:44 am »

Thank you. I'd tried that without success yesterday, so I think you're right that my SimPE software... For whatever reason, it died.

I dug through my recycle bin, and reinstalled SimPE last night when I found a copy of the SimPE Application Setup from when I updated to the newer version back in January. I'm keeping a copy of this with my regular backups from now on. The experience made me think that if SimPE ever closed shop, people who use it often would miss it until the next software program came along.  

By the way, their website was extremely slow to load a few minutes ago, but it finally did. I'm glad they're back online. Vive la SimPE!

SkeleBear

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:21:56 am »

Quote from: vita4all;640947
Thank you. I'd tried that without success yesterday, so I think you're right that my SimPE software... For whatever reason, it died.

I used to have the same problem with a media player program. It was set up to automatically update, and if the internet was down or the server was down, the media player wouldn't work because it couldn't get the updates it was looking for.

I would recommend leaving the auto-updates disabled, and then maybe enabling it once or twice a week for an hour or so just to let it update, if it has any updates to get.

Micco

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 10:43:25 am »

Quote from: Cocytus;640928
And, lo and behold, now the server is working again.
And now it isn't again. They must be having hardware trouble.

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
SkeleBear

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:47:42 am »

Quote from: Micco;641077
And now it isn't again. They must be having hardware trouble.

More ups and downs than a meth addict playing hopscotch!

vita4all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 12:27:18 pm »

The main issue was what happened to my SimPE software when their server went offline, not only that they were offline. Fortunately I could reinstall it with a backup I still had, and more fortunately for all SimPE users, they're back online.

The two events are probably coincidental and unrelated. I think Micco was correct in saying that my software failed... and it failed the same time SimPE's server failed! Oh well, that's life...

I'm going to close this thread now.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: