Insimenator.org
May 13, 2024, 05:42:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ailmrnt5 error: questions or answers? post here!  (Read 2010 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Nightywolf

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2007, 03:21:01 pm »

I know this is a common problem among Sims 2 players, and for me this is no different.  I get this error message amost every time I play the sims 2.  If you've got questions or answers, post them here.  While i'm at it, this is what your screen may look like if you've got this problem occuring... just look at this screenie I attached at the bottom.  I forgot to take a screenie of the error message but oh well.  Also, I've heard something about this being fixed by getting a 3d graphics card.  Is this true?  And if so, do computers have one by default or do you always have to buy one seperately?

Thanks, and lets get this issue evaluated guys.

*attached image removed*
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:28:47 pm by caffeinated.joy » Logged

"Gimme Da bannana, or Gimme Da bird!  YOU DECIDE!"
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:21:20 am »

Nightywolf - the text of the message is pretty clear - the Operating System is not regocnising your video card driver because it is not the right version.

You will need to discover the manufacturer and model/chipset of the video card and locate a version of the driver for your current Windows version.

Here is a list of the major manufacturers of video cards to get you started:

(not an exhaustive list)

Also - it appears from this that you "upgraded" Windows - make certain you get the right 64-bit version of the driver if you have a 64-bit version of Windows installed!

2nd Question:
No, not all computers come with a 3D card.  In fact most that claim to have a 3D video card, do not ship with a video card capable of playing most 3D video games.

The most important things to look for are the brand name "ATI" or "NVIDIA" and then a big number 1000 or higher for ATI and 7000 or higher for NVIDIA
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:24:08 am by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Mi-chii

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 03:12:16 pm »

Im just gonna add that most of the SiS cards aren't supported... I have the "best" SiS card, and update it regurlary, but I still have flashing red walls, because the card isn't good enough.

Tied third place in Mr. Insimenator 2007
Join the Animal Army
Call me Michelle
Nightywolf

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 04:49:50 pm »

Sorry I created some confusion (thats IF I did) here with the pic I provided there.  That's what the screen looked like after the ialmrnt5 display driver stopped responding and that's what happened when I tried debugging the problem in the display settings window.  The failure of the ialmrnt5 driver, I believe, is what generated the error and this message, which in my opinion, may be giving false information because of the failure.
  Of course, maybe it's not confusing, and I already showed my point.  Anyways, I know the model/chipset of my video card and now that you reminded me, I did check the manufacterer of the card.
  Lastly, I did buy a 3d graphics card a while back, which is an nVIDIa Geforce FX 5200.  My computer is from approximately December 2005.  I haven't installed it yet because I've been having trouble figuring out how to do it, however.  Though while i'm at it, would you happen to know if a PCI graphics card is the right type for my computer, given the manufactoring date (DEC 12 2005)?  Lastly, the manufacterer is Intel Corperation  and the model/chipset is Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family.  
  If you can tell from this that I may of gotten an incorrect graphics card, go ahead and tell me.  I'm relatively good with computers but when it comes to getting the correct drivers,hardware,devices,etc. I usually make mistakes...usually.

"Gimme Da bannana, or Gimme Da bird!  YOU DECIDE!"
Micco

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 05:25:11 pm »

An Intel 945 chipset is most likely PCI-E but there were some done for AGP (varies by manufacturer.) Some boards (especially the ones made by Intel) are not capable of using dual gpu cards so make sure that your MB is supported if you want to go for one of the 1 GB 7950GT's. You should be safe with a 256-512 MB single gpu card 7300-7900, just make sure you determine if it is PCI-E or AGP.

Woohoo U is now CLOSED.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 06:19:35 pm »

More than likely the chipset is over-heating to produce this error.  I suggest you replace the fan immediately! -- adding a new video card in this instance will not save a slagged motherboard.

The FX5200 comes in two flavours PCI (works on 100% of 2005 computers) and AGP (works on about 70% of 2005 computers). The FX5200 may actually have been put on a PCI-Epress card, but that is sheer madness since it is a very low-end chipset.

A traditional AGP & PCI arrangement

when Micco and I mention a PCI-Express, this should NOT be confused with PCI or the rare PCI-X; they are similar in name only.  Maybe 4% pf 2005 computers shipped with PCI-Express slots, most of them being servers not common desktops.

The PCI-Express systems did not become common until model year 2006 - which, like cars, tends to start a bit earlier than 2006, usually late October. Also, just like cars, they come in a variety of sizes which was not the norm prior to their introduction.  ISA, PCI, and AGP were always one size and one size only.

In the above illustration you see a variety of PCI-Express slot sizes compared against a PCI slot.

There are a variety of shaped slots in computers, each having a different name.  You will either have to visually inspect the system and recognise them - or consult the user manual and look for a motherboard layout diagram.

* 640px-PCIExpress.jpg (111.47 KB, 640x434 - viewed 249 times.)

* AGP_slot.jpg (95.54 KB, 640x383 - viewed 237 times.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 06:24:32 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: