Insimenator.org
May 06, 2024, 01:03:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inquiring minds want to know? Duplicate Projects, Lot catalogue and teleport folders  (Read 3001 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
killertomatoes

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2007, 06:17:25 am »

During these vee hrs of the day  I decided to do some cleaning and noticed that I have duplicate folders: under Projects folder another folder also named Projects likewise with Lot catalogue and Teleport folders. From the looks of them, they appear to be identical. Last year my system crashed thrice and during which I tried to backup whatever I can find and thats why I get so confused now with 4 backup copies of the game (and since date function of the PC is somewhat distorted I cannot figure out which is the latest with the original Sims2's copies being there as well) Since those days are so foggy to me now, I cannot recall whether its my mental doing or is it normal to have these duplicate folders? ( I am referring to folders under the main Sims 2 Nightlife game folder under My Documents).Also I have duplicate of  Music folder under Collections as well. Game will appreciate some space to breathe thus I'll truly welcome any suggestions in this respect. Should I delete duplicates? or...
Thanx
MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 09:49:41 am »

Normally, you should only have one copy of the teleport, projects and lot catalog.  With 2 copies, the game can be confuse and act strangely.  Any duplicate folders you have you should delete.  All should be in the sims 2 folder.

My guess is by mistake when you place a back-up, you duplicated them.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:55:37 am by MissDoh » Logged
killertomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 03:52:29 am »

Thanks a bundle  MissDoh for your suggestions.
The thing is game is not confused nor acting strangely just little slow on loading and saving. Yesterday I removed a duplicate collection file named trendy (which I created ages ago while playing the original Sims 2  in attempt to create a folder for community. Then when I started the game on the custom content window disable custom content was ticked (why?) I enabled it however none of custom content appeared in lots so quitted, scanned folders w Simpe. All seemed fine. Restored the duplicate folder that was in the bin and restarted the game and everything was back to normal. None of this make any sense to me at all. Now I don't think that folder was the reason for disabling custom content but then again what do I know really!!!So I guess the question here is that what would disable custom content? May be I'll make a bold move and remove say... duplicate lot catalogue under lot catalogue folder  and test it. Wish there was a programme that would clear duplicate useless folders or at least indicate them like clean installer does for downloads folder. But then again don't think there are many Idiots like me.
killertomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2007, 04:50:25 am »

Well this truly is perfect task to be added to a sinful earthling's daily agenda in hell. I checked contents of duplicate lot catalogue and on a closer look , realised that there are different files along with the common; so I won't touch that. Then I made the fatal mistake of checking the teleport duplicate folder (fatal in the sense of ruining my newly born day) and there are zillion files named the same yet differ only a single day in modification. Since I am persistent in displaying mental cupcake behaviour, I decided to jot down endless names of few and compare. I deleted some bulky ones and while doing so I realised that these are files pertinent to neighbourhoods. Now I already have deleted Pleasantville and Strangetown neighbourhoods so here comes the question of the day: Should I delete all teleport files that end with 0001 and 0002 that would really save space for me or no?
I am awfully sorry for taking your precious time with such oddities but  as you know by now that I am an idiot and there is no cure for the likes of me.
MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 03:42:47 pm »

BTW, since the custom content were disable when you started the game and you needed to enable it again, it was normal it did not show.  You needed to quit and restart the game for them to show. Wink  Having 2 copies of the same mods for example can make the game act really weird.

I still stongly suggest you have only one folder of each and maybe copy paste stuff from one another at worst so there is only one folder of each type.

Go back to what you add before and simply merge stuff in the same folder and clean the duplicates.

You are not an idiot at all. You just are stuck with duplicates folder you do not know what to do with. Wink

EDIT:  One last thing, once you are done with copying your stuff into one folder of each only, make sure to delete your groups.cache file located in The Sims2 folder before you start the game.  The game will create a new one when you start the game do not worry.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 01:09:23 pm by MissDoh » Logged
killertomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:44:48 am »

Thanks for your amazing support once again. I copied files and deleted duplicate subfolders in Lot Catalogue and teleport and run the game so far soooo goood. However since I was so hasty in testing, did not read your reply till now so I have already run the game without deleting groups cache, I hope its not too late. Should I delete groups.cache file every time I moderate the game system files? Should I clear it liberally? Also since I have deleted N0001 and N0002 neighbourhoods, can I delete ALL teleport files that have N0001 and N0002 sims2 tmp package extention?  I  just don't want to get carried away  and delete essential files in this spree of cleaning.
May the redundancy and boredom  never cross your way:
MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 07:07:19 pm »

Personally, everytime I add a lot of new cc in my game I delete that groups.cache file.

It can be done weekly, daily or monthly it is up to you and cannot do harm to the game.

It was not a problem you did not delete the groups.cache file right away you can still do it when you want. Smiley

I would leave the other N001 and N002 file as they are simply so when you install another ep or patch you won't encounter problems.

If I can be of any other assistance, let me know, I cannot help with everything but try too to the best of my knowledge. Smiley
killertomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 10:06:53 pm »

You're heaven sent I swear. Thanks sooooo much for your advice and suggestions. You already helped me so many times and saved my game. Long as I don't mess up, I am fine with my system folders for now. However I have one tiny issue of which I wish to consult in your wisdom. I don't know where should I seek for help and since you got such an addictive flair , I hope you wouldn't mind me for asking. You see, the problem is one of my sims can't get food out of a fridge. This happened quite recently. When I select her and tick fridge, only juggle bottles and check food supply options are available. Now I don't think this problem has anything to do with me playing around with her motives via Insim nor maxing hunger/bladder etc. via hacked painting. Because I do the same for her husband and he is OK. My guess is it has to do with the advent calender (xxxsims2) . I don't know whether you are familiar with the object. It is a calender looking like a jigsaw puzzle. Each flapped segment is numbered and named as a door. Sims get really excited opening a flap/door for they receive a surprise gift of chocolate/money/skill/etc. It boosts their fun. Now my sim already have excelled in cooking and the other day she received two extra cooking skill points bonus  via calender. She accepted gift (I never guessed that would do harm) and afterwards this problem occured. Now if someone places materials on counter she can cook but she cannot get 'em out of the fridge. I will keep on having other sims assist her or have her serve food from buffet  or simply max her hunger via Insim constantly, but if you have known anyone coming across similar problem I would appreciate if you would let me know. Thank you for lightening up my way with your priceless guidance:cheers:
MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 11:24:50 pm »

Ahhhh the extra cooking points are the problem.  Here is what you need to do; you have 2 options:

Option 1:
Use one of the aspirations reward that permit sims to steal skill point, I cannot remember the name of it but it kinds of looks like a vacuum cleaner.  Make a sim with low cooking skills use it on that extra-skill cooking sim and hope it will suck those points.

Options 2 (This is my favorite one and it should work) :
1-  Lower her cooking skill with either boolprop testing cheating at on or with one of the hack objects you have to level 8 (or lower if you wish but not higher). Save the game once this is done.  Exit the lot and reload the lot then try to make it get food again and cook it, if it does not work, go to step 2.

2- Make your sim study cooking and learn a level the usual way or with a hack object, DO NOT MAX HER SKILL, then save.  Try again to make her get  food again and cook it, that sim should be able too again.  Make sure you are using a Maxis fridge when you do that, not a cc one in case the fridge itself could be a problem too though I doubt it is.

If both fails, I have no idea but I would be really careful not using this calendar on lots that have sims with max skills since it can happen again.  When sims exceed the max skill level set by the game, they go beserk as you can see.

BTW, I also delete the groups.cache file after I delete many cc objects, I forgot to mention it. :tongue:  I think you posted about that problem in the insimenator section, I answered you there but I guess you did not follow on that post lol.

EDIT:  Just checked, it was not you that posted about that.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 06:51:41 pm by MissDoh » Logged
killertomatoes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 06:01:57 am »

I wonder how I was coping with the game before having you save me from depths of my misery MissDoh. Donno how to thank you and the creators of the wondorous tool of Insimenator. I decremented 2 skill pts by Skill Adjustor and voila! the problem is solved.:clapp::clapp:
MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 09:04:24 pm »

Yeah, happy your problem is solve.

You will know what to do if it ever happens again but let's hope it won't :tongue:

Glad to have helped you. Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: