Insimenator.org
May 17, 2024, 01:32:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Finding the crashing file!  (Read 1304 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Tomkat

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2007, 10:03:45 am »

Ive got quite an easy question...
My game kept crashing for no apparent reason, at 17:13.  Actually it happens at random times during the day to different houses, and sometimes I can play for DAYS without a crash.  The point is it keeps crashing at the same spot in time, on the same day.  

So I saved the game just before a crash (can predict it since its the same time of day) and started testing my downloads to see which one was causing it...
I weeded through my hacks etc, and finally found one folder full of objects...it took hours, but I know that something in there is causing my trouble.  Thing is, I dont know what!  There are like 100 files in there, all objects, tiles and walls.  I don't want to lose any of the cool objects in there, yet I want to get rid of the one file.

Is there a program that can scan folders like that and find an offending object?
Or at least any advise?  

By the way, the folder contains all the necessary files for a house I downloaded from MTS2 - Cyclades (http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=217045) by corvidophile2, so it was trustworthy.  Im guessing one file is probably corrupt?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:08:51 am by Tomkat » Logged
tylersada

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 10:31:00 am »

Clean Installer from MTS2 identifies Hacks but I don't know of anything that will identify a corrupted file.   It would be nice if there was one.  I've had the same problem.  If it's not a hack the only way is to take the download folder out and the put back a few files at a time.

Sims Mommy
shrinkwrapped

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 05:26:25 pm »

Two thoughts - neither original, but maybe a bit quicker:

Split the removed downloads file in half and put 50% back in the game - if it works the problem file is in the other half, or vice versa. Split the offending half again and repeat... its a bit quicker

Delphy's Download Organiser from MTS2 makes orgainising your downloads easier - still a pain but easier.

Of course if you are certain its one particular download I'd remove and redownload it.
Tomkat

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 02:03:30 am »

Thanks for the replies!
I had to go your way shrinkwrapped...even though it pained me, and took about 3 hours...every time the game had to load, then the house had to load, and it takes about 10 mins to do just that!
Anyway, I found the file...its the "half wall trellis" from the above set if anyone is interested...Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: