Insimenator.org
May 04, 2024, 05:10:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help: Game keeps crashing.  (Read 6557 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 09:12:08 pm »

CB2001 - I think something has gone wrong with your installation outside the normal range of bugs and hiccups of the game.  I can't think of anything that might cause this issue, maybe 2 or more custom CAS!.packages might, but that should crash the game outright.

It is possibly a hardware failure of some esoteric sort, but if the game operates normally without the Downloads folder, then it hardly likely to be a hardware issue.

check in Sims2Pack Clean installer for files identified as CAS! or possibly as jkgbkyuy; you may need to resort to using SimPE's scan folder opton to identify the lot file since S2PCI doesn't identify lot file types.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
CB2001

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 11:10:29 pm »

Okay, I'll have to try that.  But I don't think it's a CAS problem, seeing that none of the files I've downloaded thus far involves the CAS (my downloads are strictly Sims, genetics, lots, storyteller hacks that I know work and objects).  I have been using Q-Installer for the downloads and installs.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 12:02:37 am »

with all due repsect to any man or woman that makes any software for this game.... I won't use Q-express since it is indiscriminant in the way it installs everything to the Downloads folder, even those things that should never be in the downloads folder.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
CB2001

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 02:22:41 am »

Sorry to hear about that.  

I know all the files I've downloaded belong in the downloads folder, even the hacks I installed.  But I'll try to remove the download folder to see if the invisible Sims in CAS is the cause later on.
CB2001

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 03:47:56 pm »

New update: After moving all the files from the Download section to another drive, the CAS screen acted like it normally would (which includes actually showing the Sim and the Photograph Parlor section of the CAS).  So, it's definately another downloaded file that is causing the problem, so that means I'll have to restart my downloads... Again.  And check to see what file is conflicting with CAS.  This whole thing is driving me insane.  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:08:44 pm by CB2001 » Logged
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 07:40:16 pm »

CB2001 - check for the presence of windkeeper's custom CAS objects - you may have accidentally installed two versions of the same object and this would cause CAS crashes Sad

Windkeeper made several versions of the same things, so you should only install one of version of hers. the original files are here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=162363

Additionally, if you have previously downloaded and installed Marvine's Custom CAS, she has a different custom CAS object package, and the presence of these along side windkeeper's will cause crashes too. the original file for Marvine's CAS can be downloaded for comparison here: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=91870

Several people used the objects of both Windkeeper and Marvine in their custom CAS screens, and this complicates the matter. Sad

Sorry I can't be more specific, but at least it is a fresh idea.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:42:36 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

CB2001

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 08:22:13 pm »

I've checked the downloads from before, and the only objects I downloaded of Marvines were the spiral stairs and the ladder stairs.  And windkeeper's name didn't turn up in the pull down menu (basically, I have the AutoComplete on and it shows all the user names I typed in from downloads).

Anyways, I cleared the download folder again and used my previous backup again (made back in August of 2006) and transfered the files again.  And, no surprise, the same problem with the CAS occured (and I know all the objects on the disc worked with the game and EPs before, and perfectly with no problem).

The only latest file I've had in the download folder with all the times (and the only common factor I can see) is the latest version of the Color Enable Package (aka CEP).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:24:26 pm by CB2001 » Logged
CB2001

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 11:28:54 pm »

Could it be possible that it's the CEP that's causing the problem?
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 11:32:46 pm »

hrm... if you have a mis-matched pair of CEP files, sure, it might cause issues - but usually in the display of recolours.  but, if you have 2 or more copies of the downloads folder part, it would certainly make for some spectacular crashes.

CB2001

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 02:25:21 am »

Okay.  Maybe I should delete the CEP files, see if that does anything. Worse case scenario, I end up reinstalling CEP again.
CB2001

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2007, 09:53:08 pm »

Well, I tired the deleting the CEP files, but still the same problem occured.

I don't think I clairfied the thing with the download folders.  I don't have two or more copies of the Downloads folder in the EA Games/Sims 2 directory under My Documents.  The backup copies I made of the folders were placed in two out of the four drives I have (and neither one of them are in the same drive that holds my Sims 2 and EPs games or the EA Games/Sims 2 directory).
CB2001

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 01:06:34 pm »

I've come to realize another problem.  Not only does the Sims in the CAS not show up, but the lots that I constructed in one of the neighboorhoods also do not showup.  I mean, they look blank, like they haven't been used.  Yet, when I use the lot size selection and click on one spot where I did construct a house, it then allows me access to the lot with the Sims that I had placed there before.  Maybe I should have just copied the downloads folder and not the lots directory.  And just when I've managed to redownload everything and not have my game crash on me when it runs.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: