Insimenator.org
May 05, 2024, 07:13:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can I install JUST the nightlife portion of Sims 2 Deluxe in my exisiting game?  (Read 2113 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
scoutmom

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2007, 11:20:01 pm »

I have sims 2, ( I think it's the DVD version - 4 CD's in the case) University,OFB & Seasons already.  A local store had The SIMS 2 deluxe (includes Sims2 & Nightlife in one 2 disc pacakage) on sale cheaper than buying Nightlife alone. By the box description, I think one CD has BOTH game and EP, and the other is a DVD of tips and tricks for playing - no game.

I am currently dealing with another problem, but once I get my stuff reloaded, I'd like to install nightlife..... but I don't need the original game.  Will it work?  Or will it need to re-install over my curent game? Will it cause any glitches?

advice appreciated!

Laura
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 07:09:51 am »

You should never try to install an older EP on a newer one, chances are you'll regret it. General recommendation is that you install everyting in this order: basegame, patch(es) for basegame, first EP, patch(es) for EP and so on. I personally only use the newest patch, if any, because I don't experience all the possible glitches and one of these patches once destroyed my whole game. But that's just me.

So, if you already have EP's installed, you'll have to reinstall, if you want Nightlife. But not over your current game, you need to uninstall that first. Don't forget to backup any custom content you want to keep. Then you can just take your deluxe edition to install the Sims and Nightlife together, look if there are any patches for this version on the official site, then continue with the other EP's. Oh, I see you also have University... which should be installed before Nightlife. I dunno, but I guess you can install it after. And sue Maxis, if that doesn't work. Wink
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:53:20 am »

Wednesday is right (as usual) - the whole idea of the Sims 2 Deluxe utterly escapes me. You'd think they would include University to avoid risking the hellish bugs that befall users when the updates get out of sequence.  But that's EA, they think differently... not sure which part is doing the thinking, but evidence indicates it isn't above the neck.

I am not sure that the installer in Deluxe will allow a custom install.  It isn't in EA's nature to make things in a fashion that makes them easier to use or handy.  You could check on the DVD to see if EP2 is in a separate folder with an individual installer.  If you have a separate software key and there is a separate installer, you might try doing it directly - but not sure how, I don't have a copy of Deluxe to poke and dissect.

But it really comes down to the fact that if you install the EPs out of their release sequence, some crucial bit may not get updated, and then you get TS2: Bugs Edition.

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 01:29:39 pm »

[off topic]
Why, thank you, Mr. Answer! You just try to make me blush or pull my leg? I'm never quite sure with you (I'm well aware I'm not nearly as versed as you). I hope it's not the latter, because I utterly worship your creative soul - and worshippers generally don't like to be mocked. Wink
[/off topic]

May I add another question in this context?
I wonder if you get for example the building cheats of University with a later EP like NL (and with the deluxe edition)? Because frankly, the building cheats are the only reason for me to have Uni installed at all. And, hypothetically, if one has only the basegame and the latest EP, is there a way to tell which cheats or features come along?
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:49:08 pm »

no mockery in this, I lack the tact to be subtle when I mock :lol:

Could you expand on the cheat you mean?  Do you mean the ones for terrain? or the ones for changing the lot zoning? Maybe the 45 degree rotation?

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 04:40:53 pm »

No tact, huh? But a lot of modesty, right? Wink

Well the most important building cheats would be ConstrainFloorElevation.
The Allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation is Uni, too? Then that and SnapObjectsToGrid. Those are the ones I couldn't live without. Aside from MoveObjects, of course, but that's basegame, right?

When I'll find any motivation for my reinstall, I consider not installing Uni, but I'll need those cheats. But... will my Seasons savegames even work when I'll forego installing two EP's (Pets) I formerly had? And oh my, I'll not be able to use any downloaded lots, right? Then it might be not such a good idea after all...
I'm really not so sure about those facts, maybe you could shed some light?
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 07:34:32 pm »

You're correct, ConstrainFloorElevation and SnapObjectsToGrid are base game, so no risk of loss there.  And AFAIK Allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation is specific to University, at least it is absent for the lists of all the other EPs in all the on-line cheat guides I have seen, so I would not be the only one in error thinking this.

On the other hand, I have never heard anyone complain about the cheat not working if they have one of the later EPs but lack University.  I will have to test it the next time I go on a testing rampage.

As far as the lots you have downloaded, it gets pretty weird here.  Almost impossible to make a blanket statement.  For instance if you have OFB but not NL, your game is capable of using half-walls, but it would be unwise to install a lot that used an half-wall from NL. You might have BV, but no earlier EPs, so you game is capable of handling round roofing, but in the absence of the game core files for these build mode types, installing a lot made with a round roof would be unwise.

I suppose if one were especially smart and handy with SimPE you could find some work-around to prevent crashes, but I would think it a Herculean task.

We have to consider the devious mind of EA's managers here; they have strung the build-mode content throughout the EPs to insure we have to purchase each and every one of them.  I don't have Pets EP, and as far as I know, Pets EP doesn't add much if any new build-mode tools.  Maybe it does, I don't remember at this point and I'm unwilling to install it just to find out.

So, here we are, trapped between the twin heads of this vise: EA's deviousness and EA's greed. Even if we don't want any part of the University EP's illusory young adult life-stage and puerile college nonsense or OFB's venal greed and bourgeoisie mendacity, we are trapped by the necessity to have them for other things.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 07:46:57 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 08:21:22 am »

Quote from: beosboxboy;1020608

I suppose if one were especially smart and handy with SimPE you could find some work-around to prevent crashes, but I would think it a Herculean task.

Oh no! I'm more of a Xena than a Hercules and lack the patience for such kind of work. Wink

We have to consider the devious mind of EA's managers here; they have strung the build-mode content throughout the EPs to insure we have to purchase each and every one of them.

Yes, they are EVIL. But as if that were not enough, they are copycats, too. They imitate the building tricks dedicated builders came up with. Come on, it was so much more fun to build a dome or pagoda roof "with your own hands", stand back and admire the outcome, rather than just select a roof type. Meh.

But yes, they throw in one or two features every time that want to make you keep the EP. For example the "walk to lot" in BV was looong overdue. But is it worth to have that terrible EP? Well, I use a lot of Seasons hacks that don't seem to make any trouble, so... *shrug*.

Maybe I'll abandon the idea of a "minimal sim installation" yet. Or at least test it thoroughly with AnyGameStarter beforehand.
Sigh, sometimes I can't help the suspicion that The Sims are not a game for us, but rather a means to make us into labrats to be poked and prodded.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: