Insimenator.org
May 05, 2024, 05:19:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it better to get a new graphics card or new computer?  (Read 1612 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
vita4all

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2007, 04:57:29 pm »

My current graphics card is a Nividia 6600. I think it's dead. My computer is also driving me nuts from frequent freezing whether I'm ingame or not. When I'm ingame, it crashes and gives me the message when I restart that my computer has recovered from a serious error due to the graphics card. And yes, I've updated the drivers from the nvidia site.

I haven't figured out if the other freeze issues is also caused by the graphics card or something else. No viruses have been identitified. The cost of having a computer tech find the problem if it's not the graphics card is $160.

I have my eye on a new graphics card, the Nvidia GE Force 8800. It runs around $330 plus $40 installation. Total, not incl tax: $370.

While at the store, I saw a neat HP computer. It has 3 GB ram and 500 GB hard drive space, and comes with a Nvidia 8500 graphics card. Price: $670.

As I write this, it sounds like a no-brainer. The prudent side me, however, isn't sure. I'd hate to blow money buying a new card, only to have the same problem, because then I will have spent the cost of a new card and the diagnostics, which would be $530, plus whatever it will cost to repair the problem. In this scenario, I'd pay around the same as a new computer.

Does anyone know of an online diagnostic tool? Maybe then I won't have to spend ANY money. Suggestions much appreciated, including any experience with the nvidia 8500 or the new nvidia 8800. Thanks.

For a few nice downloads, visit our site, http://gangstersims.com.
Nita-Chan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 07:13:27 pm »

If your computer is driving you crazy, get a new computer.  Totally get that HP. e we;;  That's better than the computer I have now and it's probably cheaper than it, too. D:  Have you tried a scan for any spyware/adware?
vita4all

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:22:41 pm »

Thanks Nita. To answer your question, yes! I scanned with my own anti-viral software, then called Microsoft and spent over an hour on the phone with a senior tech. He used the remote method where he was able to manipulate my computer and do his thing. That was cool. He did find some viruses and an application that really was virus, got rid of them, along with some problems, but not all.

I also did the other usual stuff of removing my DL folder to rule out conflicting hacks.

I'm leaning hard toward a new computer, but with so many members here, hoped one might think of something I haven't. I'd much rather use that money to buy something else, ya know? *laughs* Thanks.

For a few nice downloads, visit our site, http://gangstersims.com.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 10:04:12 pm »

The Nvidia 6600 is one of the several video card models affected by driver related issues with The Sims 2. The chief problems are related to Bon Voyage.

I would suggest using the free download of Kaspersky AntiVirus Personal (fully functional for 30 days) and do a complete system scan, you can pick it up here: http://www.kaspersky.com/

something else you may want to do is harden you system against some of the more common menaces.  It doesn't matter if you use Internet Explorer or Firefox, these are some good things to install and use regularly:

Safer Networking's Spybot Search & Destroy

Javacoolsoftware Spywareblaster

Lavasoft AdAware

A hosts file of some sort, I recomend HPGuru's available here

These 4 things will "harden" your system against some of the most common internet menaces.

If you do find you need a new video card, then I would say I'd have to agree with Nita-Chan, a new computer is probably the better investment; but I'd want to know more about both the video card and the new system before I'd offer an opinion I call "confident".

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: