Insimenator.org
May 07, 2024, 06:34:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quitting as starting up - Fixed, or so I thought  (Read 3580 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2008, 09:53:26 pm »

My mom's game has very little custom content in it (just a few annoyance hacks I got for her, the InSIM plus triplets/quads) and as the game is starting up it crashes.
I've removed the downloads folder and it actually made it further with that folder in than out.

The opening video is skipped and the last time I tried I was told to insert the CD when it was already in.

Here are the hacks: Anti-redundancy, Anti-weather reactions, AutoYak, Fire mod, InSIM 2.7 SIM, LTW Variety, Phonehack and phone hack controller, Triplets and Quads, Uni LTW Sense, Want Sanity.

She designated me to figure out what's wrong but I have no idea.

EDIT: I just tried installing Seasons and the load made it about halfway then crashed.  Removing the neighborhoods folder after installation had the same results.
We're thinking of uninstalling then re-installing the game.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:10:04 am by AxelVal » Logged

My Sims don't need to know it's not 2008 anymore.
HugeLunatic

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:16:54 pm »

When the game crashes the first thing to remove is the cigen.package and groups.package.  

Next remove the plist.  User/Library/Preferences/com.aspyr.TheSims2.plist.  There are three there.  Remove any or all.  This will delete your preferences for the game.  This always works for me.

The opening video, if skipped, was that video removed from the folder?  I can't remember which folder, but it can "safely" be done.

To uninstall:

HD/The Sims 2
User/Documents/EaGames/The Sims 2
User/Library/Preferences/ all three.plist
HD/Library/Receipts/ ...any and all regarding sims and expansion packs, including any patches.

Empty trash.  I've always moved my downloads to the desktop before deleting the rest, with no issue.

AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:05:53 pm »

I will try that thank you!
I deleted the groups.cache thing that gets borked in PC versions and it did nothing, so I'll do the things you suggested now.

Neither of us have ever done anything to the video folder as far as I know.

EDIT: Deleting the .plist nor emptying the trash did nothing but I managed to get both errors copied and posted into word.
If anyone know what it means this may help.

EDIT 2: My mom gave in and had me re-install.  Game works now, but thank you for trying to help, HugeLunatic!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:20:58 pm by AxelVal » Logged

AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:12:56 am »

Eugh.
My mom just tried playing and it didn't work.
New development.

Apparently there are no folders in the Applications folder.  From opening a window in Finder and selecting Applications in the side of the window.  The "Sims 2" folder is completely empty.

RBWpg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 08:23:52 pm »

Sounds like you have somehow deleted your sim's game. You may need to re-install it. Or you may want to search your hard drive for the game files as well you may have just moved them to another folder by accident. God knows I have done that once or twice and thought I lost stuff!

I would recommend this time when loading in your mods or hacks 1 at a time and re-start the game between installing downloads. This way when you start the game and it crashes you will know it is being caused by the most recent download. It may be the file itself or it is having a conflict with another hack or mod you have already placed in downloads. Most places where you get the mod / Hacks from will usually give you a mention of known conflicts with other mods / Hacks.

When you take away your downloads folder you should ALWAYS place a new downloads folder in the game folder. The game will be looking for this folder on startup.

If you decide to search for the files on your computer the game usually includes the following titles:

Cameras, cigen.package, Collections, Config, PackagedLots, Downloads, HTTPCache, Logs, LotCatalog, Movies, Music, Neighborhoods, Projects, SavedSims, SC4Terrains, Storytelling, Teleport, Thumbnails, ContentRegistry, Groups.cache .

If you manage to find one of the more obscure titles, might be easier to find the rest if you moved them by accident. Chances are they were all selected and moved to the same place.

Just a thought did you happen to "select all" by accident and end up moving them to where ever you put your downloads folder?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:27:02 pm by RBWpg » Logged
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 08:18:16 pm »

I did delete the game, but the files were there when first installed.  Why wouldn't they show up with a re-install?
It only happens after a certain EP too.  It worked when I loaded it with only Sims installed, but by the time I've finished putting on Uni, NL and Seasons the files have disappeared.
All the files are there under Documents, and all are there under the main hard drive.  Yet the files under Applications disappear.
It has nothing to do with downloads or the other files/folders you mentioned so far as we can tell.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: