Insimenator.org
May 05, 2024, 02:53:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: blue screen of death!  (Read 1912 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
oddball011

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2008, 02:25:38 pm »

okay, so Freetime was running smoothly for me until i allowed my friend to put a file on my comp. for a school project. Now i keep getting the message that my DVD drive doesnt exist. On the very few occasions that i can get in game i make it to the neighborhood and i get this blue screen and i have to restart my computer.

what can I do to fix it, i already deleted the file?

LAX is whats up.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 02:33:17 pm »

you may have a virus on your computer from the file. try runnig a virus programme, and see if that's the case.

did the file have something to do with the sims2, by the way?

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
oddball011

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 02:35:39 pm »

nope, it was a powerpoint

LAX is whats up.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 02:46:24 pm »

hmm... then I have no idea. but you should try checking if your PC has got a virus on it. your friend might have on his/her computer, so that it followed the file.

and are you sure you didn't put in any new hacks or downloads, too?

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
oddball011

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:47:55 pm »

no, it happened right after she did that
I'm running a scan but my comp thinks i have no DVD drive so it wont scan it so i have it scanning everything else

LAX is whats up.
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:47:07 pm »

:scratch:  Strange...

(*ominous return of the "overkilled" excuse for stuff like this happening in later EPs...*)

Well... my answer may be completely inaccurate and wrong, but if my little guess is close, I think the disk recognition problem might have had something to do with the installation of your friend's transfer device when inserted into whichever slot is required for it.  (especially if it happened to be through a USB flash drive.  If it had never been used on that computer before, the system automatically installs it so that the next time it's used, it's prepared for immediate use.)  This might've triggered a certain something with the "S" word to do its thing in blocking off transfer device slots and disk drives and keeping them from working properly.  :dontknow:  Like I said, it's just a guess.  I might be way off on it, but some programs are known to be pretty/far too overprotective at times.

In the meantime, have you tried looking at your CD/DVD drive's properties in the Device Manager (under Control Panel => System => "Hardware" tab) and checking the status and troubleshooter for it?  (Found under Properties when item in the Device Manager is right-clicked)  :angel:

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: