Insimenator.org
May 13, 2024, 07:31:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Deleting skins  (Read 3648 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Gyongy

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2008, 06:57:09 pm »

I am at my wits end trying to figure out what has happened to my game. I cannot delete any skin from within the game and when I try it immediately crashes the game (although the skin is deleted when I go back in.).  I have a very large number of skins that I generally cull down one creator file at the time to clear all the files I don't want by crashing the game each time would require a coupe of years.

Can anyone tell me why the skins (from very reputable artists in the community that I always trust) cannot be delated from game. I can delate them with SimClean Pack but at times I don't know how something that looks good in flat shape will look on the Sim So I can do only a batch of 10-20 skins that I write down a description of and try to delate with Sim2 Pack Clean Installer.

Is there a program that would allow me to see the skins on a sim and delate from that?

Please help.
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 07:01:27 pm »

Try using BodyShop.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
April

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 12:47:22 am »

Yep, I suggest you use Bodyshop when deleting skins. At least you can see how a skintone looks on a Sim there :]

+| Flickr | SimPage |+
Life is better when it's upside-down.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:48:29 am »

I third that suggestion Smiley Bodyshop is the way to go.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Gyongy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 03:28:03 pm »

I appreciate your recommendation but how do I delate any skin from the Body Shop program? I can see them when I open the Create Parts section and I see I can export them, is that how you delate them? I do not see any delate bottons.  For most Simmers this may sound a very stupid question but I really need to know.

Thanks,
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 03:46:22 pm »

If I remember right, you can only delete the cc in sim building mode, not in creating parts mode, which would be the logical place... Wink
Gyongy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:09:09 pm »

Thank you, yes. the Build mode is the place with a delate icon. It worked fine. HOWEVER, now the game will not come up at all, the Body Shop will not load and the game will not load.

What can I do please....
Wednesday17

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 07:22:47 am »

Uh-Oh, I guess you got bigger problems than a few too many skins.

I'd try the radical method of moving (NOT deleting! don't blame me when your cc ist gone *g*) your complete downloads to a safe place. Or maybe start with moving your hacks and other modifications, if you have properly sorted them. Then try if the game starts and if yes, start putting cc back in in small chunks (how many downloads do you have, anyway?). The moment the game starts to act up again, you got your culprit in the last group of downloads.

If that procedure doesn't take, then maybe some config  files are screwed up...

But wait, before you do anything else! I just remembered that there's these magical files that may be the problem and have to be deleted: go in your EA Games\The Sims 2 directory, the one, where the downloads sit and delete the Accessory.cache, cigen.package and Groups.cache. The game will regenerate them the next time you play and they may well be the reason for your problem.

Good luck!
Gyongy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 01:38:52 am »

Thanks so much for your help. When I am testing/removing unwanted skins I do it gradually, with one set of skins from a particular place, never more than 20-30 at a time. I test all my downloads that way removing anything I am not absolutely in love with so that I can have a safer downloads folder. When testing, I never have any hacks and only a few files at a time. Also, I checked the game with some of the older (tested) skins that I KNOW are OK and the same thing happens.

I will try delating the files you recommended and see if it does not help. I know something has corrupted my game at some point but not the downloads I use. I have even re-loaded the Sims and all its add ons (a long job every time) hoping I would clean it up that way. For a while I could not even see the downloaded skins in the game although Sim Pack Clean Installer saw them within the download. After re-installing I could see the skins but could not delete them.

Has anyone tried to use the  EA technical support help (not the FAQ) to see if they would help? I would gladly pay for the time if they could just make my game work. I have pplayed with the Sims since 2000 and had never had to call them so I don't know.

Thank you for the help.
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 02:09:54 am »

Honestly, save your money. EA Tech support is a big waste of time. I called them long distance once and spent most of my 45 minutes on the phone with them being put on hold. When I was able to talk to someone they were rude and would never let me get more than four words out before interrupting me with a solution that had nothing to do with my problem.

Other people I know who have called have had similar experiences. Save yourself the headache.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Gyongy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 10:17:03 pm »

I have looked everywhere for the EAGames/TheSims2/ and have not found any file called Accessory.cache or the other files you mentioned. I used the search feature of Windows with no result.

First, where is the .../Accessory.cache, Cigen.package and Grpoup.cache files located when they are in the system.

Second, where do I go to get these if I do not have them.

After using the Body Shop to delate some of the skins, I am now at a point where I cannot even get the game create a sim feature to work. When I tried, the game crashed. I did not have any downloaded skins in the downloads file, only objects which worked fine. The Sims already in the game (ones that came with it installed) did act jerky and would stop for no reason.

Please, please help or direct me to anyone who might be able to.

Thanks.
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 10:23:36 pm »

Accessory.cache, Cigen.package and Grpoup.cache files located when they are in the system.

When you go to, MyDocuments/EAGames/TheSims 2

They are right there inside that folder. The Sims 2 folder.

The Sims 3.........NO!
Gyongy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 11:07:27 pm »

Thank you EKozski, I did find the Accessory.cache and the Groups.cache where you said they would be. But I did not find the Cigen.pacage. Is that in the same place as the Accessory and Groups stuff? Could not having it be the problem I am having?

I truly appreciate all this help. I know for some of you savy people thes may be fundamentals but I am not very good at computers except to play with stuff. At my age it is unlikely I will get much better. LOL
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 11:12:41 pm »

The Cigen.package file should be right there.

I'm trying to remember if it's associated with BodyShop.

But, it should be there.

The Sims 3.........NO!
Gyongy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 11:41:35 pm »

I forgot to mention that I could now (with the two files delated) get into the Build a Sim and create a new Sim but I still cannot delate any downloaded skins. At least I am back to being able to have new Sims, although I am restricted from removing anything I don't like. Thanks for the help.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: