Insimenator.org
May 04, 2024, 06:26:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Meshing and 3D programmes  (Read 2238 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2008, 06:46:23 am »

I'm quite new to meshing, and I've never tried making meshes for sims before - but I want to learn how to.  

so I'm wondering if anyone here knows the answer to a few questions:

* is it possible to import meshes from one 3D programme to another when they use different formats (like 3dsmax or *.max files into milkshape or Blender)?

* And can I use 3Dstudio max for making meshes instead of Milkshape or Blender? If not - which 3D programme is the best one to use (of the free ones - or others)? And do I need any extra plugins for SimPe with any of them?

Thanks for any help Smiley
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:50:49 am by theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:02:31 am »

I'm pretty sure you can make meshes and such for Sims 2 using that program.  Does 3D Studio Max allow you to export your files in other file types other than .max?  I know there are some plugins/scripts that allow importing and exporting of .smd files (like this one here, but I'm not sure if it's the one for whatever version you may have at the moment.)  :dontknow:  

That, and also downloading the required scripts/plugins for Blender3D and Milkshape (which I believe is already included, correct me if I'm wrong on this) in order to import .smd files to those programs, will probably enable you to import/export from one to the other.  Wink

And moved to the  Mesh Creation & Recoloring Help forum for ya.  Fits better here.  :smile bi:

BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:16:55 am »

You can use other 3d proggy's to make meshes but only Milkshape(and Blender?) will support the necesarry skeleton that comes with each clothing or accesoire mesh.(needed to animate them)

Most 3d proggy let you export your mesh as a obj file, these you can use for making objects for the sims2(tables/paintings etc)
If you want to use it for either a clothing or accesoire mesh you still need Milkshape to assigne the skelon and give the mesh its boneassignements wich is a huge ammount of work.

So, if your looking for a completly free proggy that supports clothing/accesoire meshes there only is Blender.
Personal i would recommend to buy Milkshape as it is so userfriendly and is very cheap compared to other 3d programs.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 09:22:24 am by BlooM » Logged

No longer active
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:15:43 am »

I've just started using 3D max, so I'm not exactly familiar with the filetypes (other than the .max files). I don't think I'll have much problems using a simpler 3D programme (3Dmax has got almost too many tools... I got the learning book today - 1252 pages!) - but Milkshape looks like I'm going to miss a few of the features 3D max has... I did try blender once, and didn't nderstand a thing - but that was before I had any idea at all how 3D meshing works, so maybe I'll try Blender again. Better find a programme that I feel comfortable with...

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: