Insimenator.org
March 19, 2024, 06:48:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Sims 2 Bodyshop Meshing with Blender 3D v2.49b: Tutorials #1 & 2 (9/11/12)  (Read 49377 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2008, 12:09:52 am »

ETA 9/11/12:

The updated version of this tutorial is now hosted on Sim Oasis.
#1 was originally created using Blender 2.45b, but will work just the same in 2.49b. It mainly serves as a way of showing how to import, edit, and export meshes between SimPE and Blender3D, as well as a brief intro into using Blender's interface.

Tutorial #2, after four long years of procrastination, is also finally available.
#2 covers combining two different meshes, as well as intros to editing UV maps and bone weights.

This change is mostly due to the fact that the original post here was screwed up text-wise from the move a few years ago, and I was unable to make edits to it due to character limitations. I didn't want to create yet another thread to make it any more confused looking than it already was, nor did I want to lose any of the questions asked, just in case others that viewed this thread had the same issues. That, and I want to be sure to keep up with my images in one place without stressing my bandwidth limits on Photobucket.  I'll still answer any questions related to this tutorial that are posted in this thread, so no worries on having to sign up there just to get your questions seen.   Wink

(Oh... and if you happen to be viewing this post by means of Google's search engine, you're probably not able to click the links I provided due to you seeing the Wireless Application Protocol version of this thread that it links to.  Just delete the .0;wap2 part in the address bar, then hit Enter to come to the actual forum page.)

Stay tuned for more Sims 2/Blender tutorials on the way!   cool
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:20:10 pm by Tenshii~Akari » Logged

EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 12:47:32 am »

You did a great job.

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this.

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
xTERRIx

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 01:01:21 am »

OH MY GOD.

do you know how hard it is to find a decent blender tutorial? thank you SO much tenshii, you inspired me to start meshing with blender in the first place. as soon as i saw your new meshes, i thought "hey! why not give it a try?" this helps so much, i don't have enough words to say how thankful i am! *huggles*

<signature removed due to size, please refer to forum rules>
miros1

In Miros We Trust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 04:50:04 am »

Thank you!

Rose/Miros
Webmaster of the Wooden Simolean
BlooM

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 09:15:06 am »

Excellent Tenshii :thumbup:

No longer active
MixdCrysy
Creator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:43:43 pm »

This is very informative and much needed, thanks!!!

Checkout my Creations & Please read  My Policy , thank you in advance.
jmtmom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 08:19:14 pm »

I have been looking for this for so long! Thanks loads! I really want to start meshing, but I need a free program. It will take a while, but I hope to start now.
Netra
Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:01:58 am »

What a great tut Tenshii!!! Awesome Job!! Tongue

"If you liked it then you should have put a ring on it!"
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 11:01:24 am »

Thanks everyone!  Hope this will help those who were wondering about a free alternative to Milkshape3D (despite it's low cost) and any other expensive 3D editors.  Maybe now we'll get more meshers coming out of the works.  :lol:

jmtmom

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:25:43 pm »

OK, so I installed Blender and python, downloaded the Bobcat import and export files, made a "scripts"  folder in C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender and put them in it,  but I am not getting the Sims 2 options shown in Step 30. I get the pop up message that python is installed when I start up blender.

I've read that python needs to be configured, but the explanations are excessively geeky and I really don't know what I am doing. :smt120 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I went to: C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\Application Data\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts  put the Bobcatben files in there and now the option is available, but when I try to import my tutorial mesh I get "python script error, check console"

MOAR UPDATE: After uninstalling and reinstalling blender several times, downloading and replacing Bobcatben's scripts several times. I get this error when I try to import a mesh:

I get the option to import, but I always get this error when I click the OK button.

Sigh, so close and yet so far.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:22:28 am by jmtmom » Logged
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 11:02:04 am »

:scratch:  Odd... not sure what's going on, but have you tried using a different mesh to import just in case it's something up with that particular .smd file?  I don't recall having ever run across this error before, but hopefully there's a way around it.  :angel:

Or it's also the possibility that Blender 3D has been updated since I last downloaded it... they're up to 2.47... I'm still on 2.45.  :lol:  If it's an issue due to the scripts being "outdated", hopefully Bobcatben will be able to test the scripts out and update them accordingly... due to my lack of programming skills at the moment, I know I wouldn't know what to do with the scripts other than where they're supposed to go.  :lol:

ETA
:  Added a link to the eariler release (or the version I'm still on) to the main post, just in case anyone else has this problem.  Try installing that version to see what happens.  Hopefully if it's an update issue with the scripts, they'll work just fine for you with the 2.45 edition.  :angel:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 11:31:07 am by Tenshii~Akari » Logged

jmtmom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 01:15:35 pm »

Quote from: Tenshii~Akari;1406328
:scratch:  Odd... not sure what's going on, but have you tried using a different mesh to import just in case it's something up with that particular .smd file?  I don't recall having ever run across this error before, but hopefully there's a way around it.  :angel:

Or it's also the possibility that Blender 3D has been updated since I last downloaded it... they're up to 2.47... I'm still on 2.45.  :lol:  If it's an issue due to the scripts being "outdated", hopefully Bobcatben will be able to test the scripts out and update them accordingly... due to my lack of programming skills at the moment, I know I wouldn't know what to do with the scripts other than where they're supposed to go.  :lol:

ETA
:  Added a link to the eariler release (or the version I'm still on) to the main post, just in case anyone else has this problem.  Try installing that version to see what happens.  Hopefully if it's an update issue with the scripts, they'll work just fine for you with the 2.45 edition.  :angel:

I think it's working now. I was trying to open the wrong file, duh! The original project from bodyshop. Now I'm able to open the smd file. I did install V 2.45 too, so I don't know if that helped or if it was just me getting over my attack of stupidity. :smt120
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 06:55:30 pm »

Okay.  Glad you got it solved!  :smile bi:  I'm still going to leave that link up just in case people do run across any issues with the updated version of Blender and the scripts, but thanks for letting me know.  :angel:

hiyaemma
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 11:48:02 am »

okay, so everything went great for me up until step 16. but the Smd Object Exporter by Skankboy option doesn't show up for me! i get the BumpMapNormals Exporter by Skankyboy, so i'm a little confused if they're the same thing? i tried it but it doesn't work...

do i have to download it from anywhere?
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 12:21:29 pm »

It should be automatically included with SimPE... unless something's up with the AL version.  :scratch:  Have you tried re-installing SimPE to see what happens?  That might help... :dontknow:

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: