Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 06:31:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Fat, plastic looking sims 3...? Missing something?  (Read 79870 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2009, 05:08:13 pm »

The developers at Maxis know full well they can could have come up with far better looking sims when the TS2 was released. The reason for them not doing so was the user being able to create beautiful sims on their own. But the way it's shaping out now for TS3 is that all of the halfway decent CC, especially within the 1st year of the game being out will come straight from EA, and thus you'll have to pay to get it. It'd be nice is SOMEONE from EA could maybe offer some better info on the subject, but the fact that even now, less then a month until the game's release they're still being tight lipped about it means don't hold your breath. Plastic sims will be the order of the day for a looooooooooooooong time to come in the world of The Sims 3. Hell, it wouldn't even surprise me to see EA wait a few months and release a Sims 3 Bodyshop...by way of The Exchange that has to be paid for. Oh what a firestorm that would cause, especially seeing that since there's been no mention of a Sims 3 Bodyshop, chances are one won't be shipped with the new game. Of course only time will actually tell...they might have just not said anything about it. But from know how game releases go, if it's not mentioned in the press release, it's not on the game.

SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2009, 11:05:27 pm »

I think it is iggnorant on EA's part not to include a secondary application for its consumers to create sims with, but I watched a lot of the videos on the official site and it seems to me that everything is availabe for us to create that 'perfect' sim right in CAS so maybe there really is no need for another program since most of us go straight into the game and create a random sim or family anyway, and besides BS was only needed with TS2 because CAS couldn't do everything BS could do with adjusting sims features and whatnot, but I think the biggest need for a secondary application would defiantly be for creating purposes, so that makes me kind of think that EA doesn't plan on creating CC for the game until they feel the need for another program such as BS. Undecided
kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2009, 03:20:23 am »

While that's true as far as molding your sims from scratch, what my point of concern is skintones. I think we all can agree that the default Sims 3 Skins are butt fugly. I've seen Nintendo 64 Games that had better shading and textures. You'd figure since the game is supposed to be a step up graphically from TS2 that the skin textures would at least be realistic, but apparently someone at Maxis must think that's not very important. But as far as TS2, that's what we have BS for. If we didn't like the Maxis skins (And I'm sure a majority of people don't, I know I replaced the Maxis skins years ago) we could just as easily fire up BS and make our own. However if no such application comes bundled with TS3, that in a nutshell means we're stuck with the crap-tastic Maxis default.

Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2009, 04:56:55 am »

While that's true as far as molding your sims from scratch, what my point of concern is skintones. I think we all can agree that the default Sims 3 Skins are butt fugly.

Oh, yes! Most definitely fugly! The absence of user-created skins and genetics is my main concern too. 
I've seen Nintendo 64 Games that had better shading and textures. You'd figure since the game is supposed to be a step up graphically from TS2 that the skin textures would at least be realistic, but apparently someone at Maxis must think that's not very important.

I think Maxis is not part of the deal anymore. Please correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding from the little I have read EA and only EA is responsible for the development of TS3.

But as far as TS2, that's what we have BS for. If we didn't like the Maxis skins (And I'm sure a majority of people don't, I know I replaced the Maxis skins years ago) we could just as easily fire up BS and make our own. However if no such application comes bundled with TS3, that in a nutshell means we're stuck with the crap-tastic Maxis default.

I refuse to be stuck with EA defaults. Unless things change, there is no bloody way I'll buy TS3. As I have said already, I do like the new trait system, but I have no use of it if it is about a Sim with EA skins.

And to come back to your earlier post, it annoys the hell out of me the fact they chose TS3 to be closed source software.  I do respect copyrights and all --the bulk of movies, music CDs and games I have been buying over the years is proof enough-- but I have no respect for EA screwing us like that. Which in turn means I wouldn't care in the least if someone was to break their software so as to enable us to create our skins and CC.

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- William Shakespeare, "Hamlet" (Act 2, scene 2)
"Yes, Sharing is caring, especially caring for the person you're sharing."  -- AxelVal
I said I Love Yuu not you --Nalia
My LiveJournal
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2009, 05:49:08 am »

I think Maxis is not part of the deal anymore. Please correct me if I am wrong, but to my understanding from the little I have read EA and only EA is responsible for the development of TS3.
"Maxis" as an independent entity has not existed since well before TS1. There is no Maxis, there is only Zuul.

I refuse to be stuck with EA defaults. Unless things change, there is no bloody way I'll buy TS3. As I have said already, I do like the new trait system, but I have no use of it if it is about a Sim with EA skins.
If SKINS are your only concern, they are not a realistic one, since even games that lack any ability to load custom textures at all can have the texture overridden in graphic memory by texture replacement programs.
Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2009, 07:58:47 am »

To be honest, skins is not my one and only concern, just the top of them. Game modifications that improve gameplay are of equal importance to me. I use lot of your mods/hacks as well as ACR, stuff that make for a far more interesting --and reasonable-- game; so what if one is in the end unable to modify the game at all?

"Yes, Sharing is caring, especially caring for the person you're sharing."  -- AxelVal
My LiveJournal
Magicflute

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2009, 01:47:50 pm »

If SKINS are your only concern, they are not a realistic one, since even games that lack any ability to load custom textures at all can have the texture overridden in graphic memory by texture replacement programs.

Sweet. That really is my main concern. At least there is some hope ...

kaoz666
J.M. Pescado Supporter

IN-FRAKKIN'-CREDIBLE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2009, 02:26:40 pm »

There's always hope. The problem is the measures it's going to take to get to that point on TS3. Like Pescado said, the texturing of skins can be bypassed. The problem is the code needs to be accessed to do so. There in lies the dilemma of the code being closed sourced. If you by pass it for your own use, no harm no foul. But if you even think of distributing it anywhere, even on The Exchange since closed source coding and software are copyrighted 99% of the time, EA will drop the legal hammer on you harder then Aaron Brooks dropped the Lakers this weekend. The code can and potentially will get cracked eventually. EA made damn sure that even if someone does, if they try to distribute it in any form they'll pay a hefty legal price for it, thus deterring hackers in a small way. As I said before, from a business standpoint it's GENIUS. But from a consumer standpoint it's a little one sided, and then there are the legitimate modders who don't pirate the game, just mod code to improve things EA might have missed or was just to damn lazy to improve. They're the ones who really get the shaft in the deal. If you're willing to take TS3 as it is for face value, I'm sure you'll enjoy the game. But if you're looking for any real commanding depth as far as creation and detail to sims, You're best sticking with TS2 until some form of resolution is met with TS3...if one ever is.

abaris

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2009, 06:53:13 am »

Well, sounds sweet. As with many other games that were great once, the developers probably have their pants full when thinking about certain pressure groups. If there's no custom content possible and securom is still part of the deal, I'll stick with TS2.
SimmyGirl

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2009, 07:18:58 am »

I have to agree with all here about too much change to Sims 3.  I don't like the fact that they couldn't put more detail into infants. From what I read, they are only going to be in wrapped up blankets, to me, that's lame. I like the infants, they could have added in a whole lot for them. Like, taking them for a walk in a buggie, playing with them to earn life points, feeding them with a spoon in the high chair, rocking them to sleep in a rocking chair when they get fussy. That's just some I thought of, there's alot more. Makes me also not want the game.  Sad
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2009, 08:55:06 am »

From what I read, they are only going to be in wrapped up blankets...

Personally, I have a good reason to be hot over that fact.   angry  I mean, the idea wasn't that original considering that they probably wouldn't have decided this if similar infant overrides weren't made for Sims 2.  And the fact that there aren't any sort of mentioned clothing options for babies after all this time... royally stinks. 

Eh... let me stop while I'm ahead with that last one though.   tongue  It's not worth me ranting over the same thing from 5 years ago anymore, but it still bothers me that they conveniently decided to have swaddled babies in Sims 3 like that, especially mentioning it about several months after I busted my brain trying to mesh that blanketed baby for Sims 2 per request.  It's not the best ever, believe me, but I feel a bit cheated that they're still seemingly yoinking from the community and profiting off of a few users' ideas again without warning... things never change, huh?   rolleyes

As for the two-slider thing that was mentioned... considering that they had more slider options in Sims 2 for console and prior to that in The Urbz, I see no reason as to why they couldn't implement those same sliders into the Sims 3 base game.  Even the Urbz had sliders where you could adjust the chest area on both male and female sims (not so much as breast, but they did increase in size slightly when the chest was enlarged), and not only that, for the arms, legs, and if I can recall correctly, even the waist.  I honestly was expecting that system's return in Sims 3, along with the other additions they had for it.  Problem is, I was expecting way too much for the game in general, so of course it's hard to look at what's being presented now and accept it as is.   Cheesy

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2009, 09:06:21 pm »

One thing is certain, and that is that interest in the sims 2 is dropping dramatically amongst the broader community. I use the exchange as an indicator and only 2 or 3 new posts per day is to me indicative of the interest a lot of people have in the game now.
It looks to me that EA. have done their sums right, and the few of us that still bitch about the new game may well be a very small minority, hardly enough to concern EA.
You watch, by the end of the year the vast majority of these sites will disappear.
All the bitching about the new game was to little and to late, the only thing that was achieved was the removal of securom.
So, those that move on are going to have to accept the new game with all its limitations and constraints and vainly hope that someone can crack the thing in a couple of years to make it playable.
CC. was the driving force that kept these sites thriving, and it was CC. that was largely ignored by the community in favour of securom. Securom was dealt its death blow by the broader gaming community. In my opinion we should all have been more focused ,vocal and united about the locking down of the new game.
Some of us, myself included were accused of rumormongering, presenting hearsay as fact and so on. Well there it is, EA have got their way, and perhaps TSR. as well. So now all we can do is carry on about the limitations of the body slider and what we can and cannot do with the CC.when perhaps with a bit more interest and unity we may have been able to alter that.
SimGirl20
Serial Downloader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2009, 10:34:31 pm »

Well, I for one am very physced about the new game I can hardly wait till next month to grab my copy. I was telling my boyfriend today that I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get to Wal-Mart in time to get my hands on one the day it releases, because I think in a small town such as mine that the games are going to fly off the shelves so I think I might need to get up at around 6 in the morning and hurry to claim mine..yeah I'm obssesed tongue
Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2009, 02:40:12 pm »

One thing is certain, and that is that interest in the sims 2 is dropping dramatically amongst the broader community. I use the exchange as an indicator and only 2 or 3 new posts per day is to me indicative of the interest a lot of people have in the game now.

For me, the Exchange and BBS boards have always been indicators of how flocks of sheeps react. Just reading, "MaxoidDrea I love you!" is enough proof.

It looks to me that EA. have done their sums right, and the few of us that still bitch about the new game may well be a very small minority, hardly enough to concern EA.

It might be true, but then again it depends on what ages we are talking about. The ones who keep bitching about the game are apparently adults, and adults tend to be more demanding than kids and teens.

All the bitching about the new game was to little and to late, the only thing that was achieved was the removal of securom.

It was too little and too late because EAxis kept their cards close for as long as they could. SuckaRom on the other hand was something we had already experienced and there were issues they couldn't turn a blind eye to.

So, those that move on are going to have to accept the new game with all its limitations and constraints and vainly hope that someone can crack the thing in a couple of years to make it playable.
CC. was the driving force that kept these sites thriving, and it was CC. that was largely ignored by the community in favour of securom. Securom was dealt its death blow by the broader gaming community. In my opinion we should all have been more focused ,vocal and united about the locking down of the new game.

In all honesty, I am not sure things went exactly this way. As I said above, EAxis kept their cards close for as long as they could --at least that's my impression, and there is always the possibility I'm being wrong. Nevertheless, when you don't know what exactly is being included in a new product or how it is designed to work, how the heck you are supposed to react?

Some of us, myself included were accused of rumormongering, presenting hearsay as fact and so on. Well there it is, EA have got their way, and perhaps TSR. as well. So now all we can do is carry on about the limitations of the body slider and what we can and cannot do with the CC.when perhaps with a bit more interest and unity we may have been able to alter that.

No, I'm afraid you are wrong on the "all we can do" part. We are left with the option to buy or not buy, to play or not play the game. Thing is that if, for example, I, despite knowing already the game's limitations, buy it and then start bitching about it, I deserve to be flamed to death for that.  I hope you can see my point.

My LiveJournal
PixieStyx26

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2009, 04:23:30 pm »

Yeah I to have watched one too many videos on Youtube and am disappointed in the cartoony look of the sims 3 it's almost a step back. Unless they allow CC I will not be buying this game. The EA clothes are too ugly, the skins  don't look realistic, the furniture has no imagination, the eyes are lifeless, and the personality trait system, no matter how neat it sounds at first- is bound to be heavily flawed to the point of needing hacks to make it bearable. Not to mention all the bugs that will be in it for the first few months and let us not forget SecureRom. I'll wait to see if it skins or swims before investing any money in it.

:love1::spanish:<br /><br />Caution Tattooed Freak on a Leash may Bite<br /><br />When there\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s no future how can there be sin?-Sex Pistols
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: