Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 07:53:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Has there ever been a contest like this? Houses  (Read 11114 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
the evil writer

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:26:05 pm »

I don't participate in the various contests here, but I've looked at the threads more than a few times. It seems like people really enjoy them. However, I can't recall there ever being a contest like this:

Suppose instead of a contest about sims, it was a contest about homes. The point would be to design beautiful rooms, kind of like a sims version of all those home design shows.

Let's say that someone designs a house from house plans*, and puts it here for all would-be contestants to download as the basis of the contest. This would be the house that every contestant uses. The house would have a basic layout, but no furniture, no wallpaper, no floors and no plants or decor outside of any kind. All you would get besides a completely undecorated house is photos of the rooms labeled as what they're intended to be - bedroom, kitchen etc.

The first contest would be for everyone who enters to design a specific room (you'd know which room from the labeled photos above), probably a master bedroom. Everyone could submit photos of their designs, and have them be voted upon, like the people-based contests.

The next contest would be another room, maybe a child's room or a nursery - these would be two different assignments - and so on, until the last contest was to design the yard. Each contestant would be requested to work on only one house, so their master bedroom entry would be in the same house as their nursery entry etc. And at the very end, it would be nice if people uploaded their decorated lots.

What do you think? Would something like this work as a series of contests? If you like the idea, feel free to start such a contest because I'm more interested in how it would turn out than coordinating contests.

* house plans sites - if you click on a plan, you can get photos of what the area of the rooms in each house should be. I, and a lot of other folks, use these plans to create homes.

http://www.houseplans.com/index.asp
http://compsimgames.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.natalieplans.com%2F

Download some   Toddler Fashions (other stuff too, but toddler stuff sticks to the exchange best)
AxelVal
Simmysim sim sim

Been away so long

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:09:25 pm »

I think I've seen this before.  I used to roam the contest threads rarely and I just barely remember a design competition.

But that doesn't mean you couldn't do it yourself.  People have 'Cycle Two' all the time and re-use ideas to let new people get in or old competitors try again.

My Sims don't need to know it's not 2008 anymore.
Ali
Short, fat n Cuddly!
Admin

I got a luverly bunch of c.... oops, wrong site!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 02:39:35 am »

hey there evil writer

A lot of people prefer decorating contests so if you want to go ahead and have a go, please feel free.

We don't have a bustling contest section like there used to be, that's over at the Sim Oasis now, but there's no reason why people shouldn't try hand at one Smiley

"They're a rum lot, the Yorkshire folk. You can't fool them, you certainly can't get away with much and they call a spade a spade. Or rather, they call a spade 'a bloody shovel'" Mark Addy
JacobM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 08:13:35 pm »

so, basically we all download the same house plan, completely empty, and for each round design one room at a time? do we judge the winners on who's house looks the best overall, or on the appearance of the overall rooms? i think it sounds like fun, it took me a minute to understand though.
Sierra

Don't mind me... I'm just lurking

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:08:35 am »

I would love this kind of challenge. It reminds me of the 60 minute Makeover. I would definitely participate. Smiley

lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:43:52 am »

I would enjoy doing this. I love to build and decorate.  Wink

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
simkitty181

I know I'm crazy, I'm know I'm crazy...I know I am

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 12:38:20 am »

OOOO if this ends up being a contest I'll join for sure : D
Can you PM me when you do end up creating the contest, please lol
vickylougrl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:14:48 am »

I would be interested in doing a decorating contest for house.  To make it fair for slow machines maybe a small lot?

Coptic Text
Now, when you come under their power, one of them who is the overseer will say to you: "Who are you, and where are you from?"

You are then to say to him, "I am a child of humanity and I am from the Source."
moonlight dreamer
Moonlight Sims

I am not Lazy and Stupid As some people may think

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 08:21:26 pm »

Oh yeah I've done a contest like this before with the sims 1. We used a basic maxis house and every week we would do a different room. kitchen,bathroom etc. It was fun and everyone got a prize just for entering the contest and getting through it. I would Love to see what you could come up with for a sims 2 contest.

saowens
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 09:58:46 pm »

Sounds like a great idea to me. Do we get to use any custom content we want?
moonlight dreamer
Moonlight Sims

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 06:47:03 pm »

yes i would assume so. At least it would make the rooms more interesting. anybody have any ideas on which maxis house to use. Maybe the kat family house would be a good one.

Millian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 03:12:36 pm »

I would be interested in hosting this contest, but I would build a (Basegame compatible) house that was just really crummy, and dirty. Each week there would be a new room to refurbish and clean (Because I'm slow and won't have the time nor the energy to do more than one a week and want to give everyone enough time).
I would build a house that was 6 rooms, (Dining, Living, Kitchen, Office, Bathroom, Bedroom)
They probably would have awkward dimensions to make it more interesting.
I wouldn't know whether to start with 7 players and go one down each week, or have them all participate in every round and have mini-prizes ready for each round. I think the mini-prizes would be more interesting and there could be more than 7 participants. Anyways, I would be able to get the house up next week if people wanted, so people can check if it worked with their game, and give until the friday after that to finish the first room, (of my choice). I already know what one of my prizes will be if I host this.

Anyways, I'd like to host this and would really appreciate it if people commented on my idea for a design challenge (Of course, you would be free to donate prizes Tongue)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:26:48 pm by Millian » Logged
moonlight dreamer
Moonlight Sims

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 10:49:51 am »

Millian i would be interested in doing it and what would be really cool is if we just used maxis objects to reburbish the house (just an idea) when i played before i can't remember if there were any eliminations or not i do know that somebody won the round for the week and at the end of the contest points were added up and the ones with the most points won. anyway just throwing things out there. count me in though.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: