Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 03:46:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm I the only one who would rather just keep playing sims 2.  (Read 62309 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
LVishere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 01:29:42 am »

^^I don't have a high end computer. My computer, Hp Pavilion, came out in May 2007...I got it in 2008. So it is a year old for me. My point is, it runs just fine on my computer costing me less than $1000. The computers you are talking about must be 5 or 4 years old. I have intel graphics as well, and my graphics are above satisfactory. And it's funny because, I failed in CPU speed on canirunit.com...but the game runs fine....so far!
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 04:27:30 am »

I don't think even the modding community could fix the bad gameplay.

Actually, Pescado is making inroads on some of the most awful parts of the gameplay-he's done a fix for the most obvious problems (they're still being ironed out).

The first release of the fix is available at MATY if anyone cares to download it to their computer.

It will be interesting to see how the modding goes now that this is being attacked head on. At the rate things are developing, the game might have more promise for those of us who have held off from getting it.

At least it will inspire EA to do more on their part to improve their product. They should have done this before it was released.

Just another example of their inherent laziness and dependence on the modding community to fix their problems.

abaris

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 05:20:34 am »

At least it will inspire EA to do more on their part to improve their product. They should have done this before it was released.

Actually its not wise to buy any game at release. Its not only EA doing this. Its every game developer. They throw their product on the market and the money earned provides for the patches. I would be hard pressed to find any game that was solid right from the start.

The first buyers are usually the real beta testers and that's why I never lay my hands, apart from all the other issues in this case, on something just released.
J. M. Pescado
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
El Presidente

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 05:49:57 am »

My suggestion is that you wait. There is little that this game offers over TS2 at this point, if you already have a fully-functioning TS2 game. TS3 may be what I am pulling apart right now, but TS2 is still the game to actually PLAY.
saowens
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 06:31:26 am »

I don't think even the modding community could fix the bad gameplay.
Actually, Pescado is making inroads on some of the most awful parts of the gameplay-he's done a fix for the most obvious problems (they're still being ironed out).

Do you happen to have a link to it? I'll give it a work out this weekend and put some feed back on MATY and here of what I find.
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 03:56:36 pm »

Here's the link to the download and the accompanying thread.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/index.php/topic,15185.0.html

Have fun.

Note to Pescado-I will indeed keep playing my game-I've got absolutely no patience whatsoever to muck around with a game that needs so many overwhelming fixes. I am in absolute awe of your work with this piece of half-baked code.

Hopefully these will be corrected in due time. By then, maybe I'll have the RAM, the money and the guts to dare buy it.

LVishere

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 06:06:09 pm »

To me those fixes are indefinite. They aren't necessary either. I want someone to fix ultra speed.
saowens
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2009, 06:58:30 pm »

Here's the link to the download and the accompanying thread.

Thanks. I think Pescado has a cloaking device on some of those threads and doesn't reveal them until he knows you have wasted enough of your time looking for them.  tongue

I swear I looked for this today at MATY and since you gave me the link I have no problem seeing it now on the forum.
tjstreak

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2009, 09:15:08 pm »

Sims 3 strikes me as the game Sims 2 should have been.

I just started playing Sims 2 at the beginning of this year.  I never played Sims 1.

When I first started playing, I was absolutely shocked to see that I was forced to play a single lot, and that I could not access the rest of the community.  I wondered, where is the rest of the neighborhood.  After a while, it did not bug me as much.  Now we have a whole world to play in.

The load times were ridiculous.  Typically, I go off and do something else, like watch a DVD while waiting for Sims 2 to load.

And the Sims 2 was pretty buggy.  Just look at all of the mods it takes to fix the thing.  Of course, once it is modded up, it is a pretty good game.  But the game as originally released is pretty lame.

A lot of the aspects of Sims 2 were not all that realistic or interesting.  Pleasantview hardly seems like a town at all -- more like a subdivision that a developer threw together.  Sims 3 actually has a town square, a townhall, a central business district.  In fact, it reminds me a lot of a Southern California town (surprise, surprise)  It also has things which were missing from Sims 2, like a school, a hospital, a cemetery, a theater.  Now I would like to see more businesses, like one would find in a real town.
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2009, 11:57:18 pm »

I think, now don't quote me, but I think that the 'hoods in Sims 2 were supposed to be subdivisions of Sim City or something like that. It would explain a few things if this were so.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2009, 05:47:46 am »

It also has things which were missing from Sims 2, like a school, a hospital, a cemetery, a theater.  Now I would like to see more businesses, like one would find in a real town.

The big difference between the two games is that in Sims 3, you cannot go into or create any of the lots mentioned.

In Sims 2, you can create your own business lots, cemetery, and hospital. True, you can't do much beyond visit, but at least you have a say in how they work.

To me, the inability to create your own lots is a big problem. The "rabbit hole" is supposed to reduce lag and other problems, but it does frustrate people who are used to creating lots other than a house.

scarletlady
Engaged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 06:57:27 am »

I feel a tad ripped off, it's not as good as I thought it would be.

I feel so bad about it though, because my fiance spent £53 on it for me and I can't get into playing it [believe me, i'm trying], and we don't have much money as it is. He really pushed the boat out in buying it for me because I was spazzing about it, and now I feel really, really guilty Sad
roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 08:33:17 am »

Don't feel so bad. These people are masters at marketing these things. Take GTA 4 as an example, they had them lining up for blocks on release date and now that the awfull truth has come out, they're battling to sell the thing at a discount.
The beauty about the sims is that it will improve, thanks to our many artists out there.
PixieStyx26

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 10:05:02 am »

I'm currently playing the Sims 3 and I have to say I am not that impressed, but the game was a gift so at least I didn't waste fifty bucks. Still now that MTS and More awesome than you are hacking the crap out of it, the game just might become bearable after all. I'm really not sure why EA/Maxis would try to limit modding so much when that's half the reason we buy the game in the first place. I mean did they really think people would want the stuff they make over at the sims store? It's laughable, they have and always will make the crappiest stuff for the sims that nobody in their right mind would pay for. Sorry that's just the way I feel. Every time I see a new sim for the sims 2 it is just a reminder of what I'm missing, but I had to unistall the sims 2 a long time ago due to space issues. The sims 3 runs fine on my computer but it's just missing something. EA games really screwed the pooch this time.

:love1::spanish:<br /><br />Caution Tattooed Freak on a Leash may Bite<br /><br />When there\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s no future how can there be sin?-Sex Pistols
gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:45 am »

Count me in as another person who is doing a "wait and see" approach. I plan to wait at least a year ... maybe more ... before even considering buying this game as a PC game. And that's "considering". It just isn't flooring me, and what is even worse, I'm not sure I can even play this on my computer.

MAYBE I'll consider buying a console version instead next year or so, if one comes out. It almost seems to me that yes, as others here have written, this is a fancy console game for the PC at this point. But the free-site modders continue to amaze me with the revisions they've already made, despite the limitations EA has placed on them. We may be seeing even more amazing things to come. I'm not holding my breath that EA will be doing any improvements worth mentioning. At least, no FREE improvements.

But even if the game comes out on console, I'm very wary. I purchased the Sims 2 for the DS, and hated it so much that I sold it used a couple of days later. (Shudders at that folly.) I'm determined not to make the same mistake again.

Hmmm ... maybe if I find a USED console version, I'll get it. Or an ultra-cheap functional used PC version. I'm not holding my breath waiting for either.

P.S. Yowza! I just looked at the most recent Amazon reviews!  shocked
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 10:34:57 am by gazania » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: