Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 07:35:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm I the only one who would rather just keep playing sims 2.  (Read 62213 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2009, 07:10:15 am »

Coming into the sims2 world later than most, I was happy with just my TS2 double deluxe for months awaiting the arrival of Sims3.  Even then I expected it to be as advertised--all the glory of TS2 plus the freedom to roam about.

So ok I installed it, tested it and though very disappointed, thought that it added a lot to TS2 but just wasn't done very well i.e., so much more could have been accomplished.  That was back in June.

Not satisfied with the loss of CC and hacks I opted to uninstall it and add one EP to see more of TS2.  Seasons was the one I chose and I'm sure like everyone elses' first encounter it blew my mind.  But it also did something else.  It opened my eyes further to EA's incredible lack of effort on TS3.  Many things I said should have been in ts3 was already right there in Seasons EP: Fertilize many, nature interactions, plus weather & more.  All the good things like the larger money tree interesting fruits, vampirefish etc. now looked like shortcuts to quick money instead of improvements on what could have been an awesome game.

Then I went for it--added all Ep's and Sp's. Geez, what an eyeopener.

I haven't even come close to experiencing everything yet, but all I can think is wow EA really owes a debt of gratitude to the modders out there and sites like this one.  All of you--those who have been simmers for years knew what TS2 offered in it's "complete" form (all ep's).   Still everyone made their critiques and though many were harsh, creators and players alike still decided to take it apart and try to figure out how to make it better.  

Again I have to give you credit.  Because after seeing all the Ep's I truly see how much (like gardening) was already available, not innovative at all...just pretty much TS2 watered way down and cloaked with a few surprises to keep you curious for a bit.

I had no clue that so very much of the stuff I thought was cool in TS3 was already old TS2 stuff dumbed down and put in a new wrapper.

So congrats to being faithful even in the face of EA's lack of concern for what its' solidly faithful base wanted. That's not sarcasm.  I really do believe EA owes all of you a debt of gratitude after finally fully understanding how they targeted new unfamiliar players instead of satisfying it's loyal community.

Sims 3 is a nice commercial.  Now when are they coming out with a true sequel to TS2?

Sims by Dasi:

roerzman

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2009, 06:14:29 pm »

Debt of gratitude from that lot? recently they shut down a site for being silly enough to allow one of their members to provide a link to one of their scabby store items.
The only interest those fleas at EA. have is dollars, and there appears to be no limit to the depth they are prepared to stoop in order to ensure they squeeze every last cent out of us.
That incident was the last straw for me. I will not purchase anything anymore with their logo on it.
And yes I will continue to play sims2.
gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2009, 09:05:20 am »

In my mind, there seems to be two phases of the Sims franchise: Before Sims 2 Seasons and After Sims 2 Seasons.

I played Sims 1 on Game Cube, and it blew me away. I was so green that I didn't even realize you could toggle the characters, and as a result, my Bob Newbie acted like some of those people on the TV Show "1000 Ways to Die". I had to keep exiting out of the game! My kids still laugh at that Sims phase in my life. But I really liked playing the game, despite Bob.

Then I learned to toggle. (Hmmm .... maybe I should have kept playing Bob untoggled.) The game amazed me even more, and I bought The Urbz because I couldn't get enough. (And by the way, I actually liked The Urbz.)

I kept reading that playing The Sims on the PC was much better than playing it on console, so I watched EBay carefully (when I buy Sims games, I never pay the original price ... I wait for a good sale at a local store or Amazon, or get it off EBay, either new or used) and picked up Sims 2. "They" were right. I'd wait eagerly for expansions, read all I could about them, make sure that either EA or a free-site modder fixed the problems, wait for that sale/used copy, and pick up that expansion ... usually about six months after it came out. I couldn't wait to play it, and my family would have to peel me off the computer because they had to use it for less-enjoyable tasks.

Seasons was the apex for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the weather, the neighborhood, the content, the penguin. It was, for me, the epitome of the Sims games. It still is.

Then came Bon Voyage and Securom, and the party was over for me. I kept reading of more and more bugs in the post-Seasons games ... bugs that did much more than turn my grass blue. And what was worse, the gameplay just didn't make me wait on EBay with bated breath anymore. I almost capitulated with Free Time, but didn't want to mess with no-CD cracks or arring.

I read about Sims 3, and thought that if EA got wise and got rid of the Securom, I might give it a go. Then I saw the previews and was rather unimpressed. I was hoping for a game that would make Seasons pale by comparison. But EA seems to be ... well, I've already expressed my view on Sims 3 here a few times. No need to repeat again.

EA can turn this around. They can re-release the post-Seasons Sims 2 games without Securom. Give the re-releases a fancy title, such as "Sims Redux". Even add a couple of extra goodies to them, like a new song download or two by some hot band, or add some new free content. (Those who already bought the expansions can claim them if they've registered on the official site by entering a special code.) I would probably buy Free Time then. Maybe I'd buy even more expansions. Oh, and do something about the Securom for those who unfortunately wound up with it because they bought BV and beyond. (Heck, maybe EA could even release a new Securom-free expansion occasionally!)

EA can also add loads of free content to Sims 3, perhaps as a "thank you for buying _______ copies" sort of promotion. Fix ALL of the bugs we know of at this time. Provide their own downloadable Body Shop where people can customize their Sims a whole lot better. Maybe, if possible, actually provide a way to get into some of the "rabbit holes".

I want some of the "magic" back again. I miss it. But of course, I know that EA will do no such thing ... not unless they have to.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:18:45 pm by gazania » Logged
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2009, 10:23:48 am »

Ditto Ganazia.   I should mention that a huge benefit of being one of the last people in the universe to try Sims 2 (I've never seen Sims 1) Wink is the noCD cracks and the instructions from MATY on how to avoid SeCurom when installing your games. 

I'd never have considered expanding with any EP's if the option to do it safely (i.e., securom-free) wasn't there.

Sims by Dasi:

Nalia
イノセンスはつどう

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2009, 10:25:09 am »

After having my DVD player destroyed by SuckaRom I learned, thanks to Mary, her Reclaim Your Game site as well as Pescado's MATY and their instructions that you can still buy all TS2 EPs and play the game with a No-DVD/CD version.

About the "rabbit holes" of TS3, people shouldn't concern themselves over it too much. I am quite sure future EPs will make these places available for Sims to visit, and if I recall correctly the same was true for TS2.  As for the bugs, I wouldn't rely on EAxis for that, but on all those wonderful people of the Sim community around. History has tought us they are the ones who fix bugs and problems, not EAxis.

*going back to my TS2 play*

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-- William Shakespeare, "Hamlet" (Act 2, scene 2)
"Yes, Sharing is caring, especially caring for the person you're sharing."  -- AxelVal
I said I Love Yuu not you --Nalia
My LiveJournal
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2009, 12:31:33 pm »

I remember when we got those two going, PRISM and RYG, it was all uphill and at the time, it was worth it. The way things are going now, I dunno. All I know is that retirement from those two sites has been good for me. IF EA were to do what Ganazia suggests, they might gain me back as a customer, but that's about as possible as hearing a bat fart in a hurricane. I don't download the games illegally and I sure in the heck do not buy them. Burn out happens to all of us sooner or later and it happened to me. *sigh* Some days, I just feel so bloody old.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
DaSpecial1
Spamcake in Disguise

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2009, 05:52:19 pm »

"...that's about as possible as hearing a bat fart in a hurricane. "

Laugh2 I just pictured that. 

Sims by Dasi:

fglrxandyou

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2009, 03:16:05 am »

I've played the Sims series since the Sims came out.  ... I remember my first house... I joined the military career because it paid the most.

In any case...

I find Sims 3 to be a better game than Sims 2.  Although my gf's instance is bugged (I think because of a Mod she installed), I've had far, far more stability out of this game than any of the others, even after the others were fully patched.  I've never had a Crash in Sims 3.  I used to have crashes in sims 2 every couple of days (which tended to make me stop playing for awhile..)

From a developer perspective, either their team has grown dramatically in size, or their code base has shrunk and become much more maintainable (hence why they are able to come out with an expansion so quickly...) The increase in stability (from my perspective, anyways), in addition to the ridiculously faster load times, indicate that the application is just... better designed.

I find that my sims don't stare blankly at the wall anymore, but behave rationally given their sets of traits.  I found the Horoscope system and collection of binary spectrums to be very limiting and sorta trite.  The use of traits is just really a much more natural reflection of reality, and that those traits are used to guide the sims when they act autonomously just greatly enhances my game play.

There are things missing.  I miss dates, College... The other things (pets, vacations) I tended to find to be interesting but nothing that would make/break the game for me.  I look forward to the eventual return of magic, as well.

This is the first installment in a series that will, just like the Sims 2, last for several years.  The Sims 3 is a great base to grow off of.  I'm obsessed with it, though I'd sorta rather not be, since it takes my time away from other pursuits, but, so it goes.  I enjoy the graphics far more, as the sims 3 graphics were dated.  I like the customization, and that I don't need to rely on Modders to have new textures or colors for furniture.  I have little to no artistic talent, but i can generally style things okay, atleast pleasing to me... So Modding on my own was never an option, but this egalitarian approach to customization is something that has been great for me.  Truly enhanced gameplay.  I look forward to a multitude of new Meshes from modders, who now no longer have to spend time creating skins, but can focus on truly beautiful models...

Yes, it is NOT the Sims 2.  And YES it is a Sims game.  As such, there will be many things missing, and many things to be found in common.

Anyways Uh.. Play what you enjoy.  If you don't like Sims 3, don't play it you know?  You'll always have Sims 2.

And if you enjoy Sims 3... then don't let the opinions of others try to sway you from enjoying it.

Oh and.. I hate the EA store thing.  I'm not partaking of it.  It's stupid, and flies in the face of what has made the Sims series so popular-- the modding community.

gazania
Site Santa!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2009, 04:35:23 pm »

Fair 'nuff, fglrxandyou. Fair 'nuff . Smiley

Hey, I still haven't completely ruled out buying Sims 3. But in addition to the gameplay glitches and quirks, I still don't know if I'm going to risk wasting $30 - 33 US (EBay prices) for a game that might not even play on my system. So many computers, both old and new, have had trouble with this game. Too bad there wasn't a real Sims 3 demo that one could try to see if it would be OK on his/her computer.  Thanks to a certain computer component manufacturer's incompetence, I just shelled out a pile of cash to fix my computer. I'm in no mood to shell out more.

Anyway, I still think that if EA is smart, they will actually continue with both Sims 2 and Sims 3. Hey, why not even toss in a PC version of The Urbz or Bustin' Loose just for fun? A PC version of The Urbz may be interesting, though I hope the game loads a bit faster between districts than on the console.

EA could primarily push Sims 3, but toss in an occasional expansion or special for the two older series .... don't discard them entirely. Then everyone can be happy, I hope, and all of us can continue to enjoy newer versions of our favorite Sims series, whichever one that is.

No, I haven't been drinking, or smoking anything illegal. Just daydreaming! And I know again that EA will most likely never do this. I think I have more of a chance of seeing your proverbial porcine mammals airborne. EA is relying too much on Sims 3.

Ah, well. Back to Seasons, I suppose!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 02:43:16 am by gazania » Logged
Ifrito

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2009, 05:53:46 am »

Well, I bought the game. Originally to tear it apart and it inturn swayed my opinion.

I have to agree with fglrxandyou for the most part about the Sims 3, though, I dont get the errors with the Sims 2. Nor do I particularly mind the load times. Considering how much stuff I run, it runs pretty fast.

But, for me, while Sims 3 is very good. Its also quite limited. I like what it has to offer, which has ALOT of potentiol. But, I miss the controllability that I had with the Sims 2. And I still hate how hard EA has made it to mod the game, whatever their reasons, be it money driven, which it likely is 100%, or to curve complaints over adult oriented material, that was just a plain idiotic move.

I am simply growing ever frustrated with being unable to play the game how I wish. That even though I have an Anti-Jealousy mod which enables my Sims to make out and this and that, they still get that blasted betrayal moodlet if they are anywhere on the lot if one Sim they love invites another to even cuddle in a bed. Let alone woohoo.

And I cannot breed Sims how I wish, or without using the Awesomemod, have more then 8 Sims on a lot. And the relationship interactions now, frankly, annoy me. I have never heard of someone being so turned on that they suddenly fall out of the mood. Which thats what happens.

Dont get me wrong, the game is quite good. But it can be better. And for me, it will be better once the thing has been completely busted open.

Or EA gets their heads on straight and reverse's this whole closed source Anti-Mod bussiness.

I got the Repo man back, it was a sly move. Acting like I was his friend, and then...BAM!, into the burning kitchen with him he went!. They never found his remains....*Evil Laughter*
ecks

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2009, 04:22:53 am »

Cry

I hate it when they removed the "memories" That is my favorite feature of Sims 2. I don't freaking want to type a Bio for the sim. I want memories. Its fulfilling for me. I also don't like the fact that The sims in sims 3 looks flabby. The skin was too cartoony. Despite of downloading custom skins, they still look damn cartoony.

I hate the double Chin.

-------------
I will buy reinstall sims 3 on my computer once they have an expansion where I can see whats inside the buildings like resturants.
LarissaMenezes

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 09, 2009, 07:58:50 pm »

I was not excited for the sims 3, either. Specially because I was afraid not being able to play it in my computer, since my videocard is an onboad intel 31.
Well, but I became curious. And I bought it, it was an impulse. I thought "well, i will buy a new video card soon anyway, so..."
I installed it still asking myself if I was not wasting my money. And of course I left my sims 2 game installed.
Then the game worked fine. I started to play and everything was great. I was able to put the graphics at maximum, and I'm sure the graphics can be much better then what I could see, but anyway, it was beautiful, lots of details, reflections and everything.
A few hours later I was so in love with the game that I unistalled my sims 2, thinking "there is no coming back, now". And I started the downloads. And I played till I had no more strenght, I just couldn't stop.
I think some people are disappointed because when we changed to the sims 2, there was a huge difference, we could see their faces so close for the first time, change their hair, their makeup, buit their faces, and all. Now it's not such a big difference regarding that.
And now we are used to all that great CC, wich makes the game so beautiful, and gives us any option we want in the game (it's unbelieveable how much we have), so, when we play a game with almost no CC, it's weird, we miss it. But surely it's only a matter of time. I can't wait to see how amazing this game will look in the future, the near future, i'm sure.
Before I played it, I didn't like the new look of the characters, now, I think they are much more beautiful than in sims 2. It's a little more complicated to deal wit the CAS, but it's worthy. The first sim i created was a little weird, but the second one was already a total babe.
But the best is their personalities. You have to play it guys.
So I tought I would rather just keep playing sims 2, but... I was wrong. Sims 3 is awsome. Give it a chance.
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2009, 08:28:44 pm »

I'm glad you like it, but no, I don't have to play it.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Cathy

Call me Annie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2009, 07:15:25 pm »

I miss the weather and the pets from TS2. Oh! and the pose boxes, but I'm sure they will be made for TS3 as well. Not the rest, though

I used to be Nyxie
weirdogirlie

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2010, 06:57:03 pm »

When I first got I felt like they ripped my heart out and then put it baq in!!!! It was my 1st sims  game tooo!!!!!!!! So I have started buying the Sims 2 games and they are AMAZING!!!!!!!! I HATE SIMS 3!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: