Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 03:37:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: D**N IT i have writers block.  (Read 5579 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
SummerTheSimKiller

My name is Summer and i'm getting ideas. I <3 sims

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2012, 10:53:34 pm »

help i need ideas for On The Road To Death! Sad

Adm: bleeped out the swear word
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:25:04 am by Theraven » Logged

Smiley you will never beat the Awesomeness that is Summer!
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:17:34 am »

Have you written anything at all? It's not easy to help you if you don't know much yourself.

Perhaps try to do some personality sum-ups on your characters. The better you know them, the easier it will be to write about them. Also, try to figure out what you want to tell with the story.

I've got a couple of tips & tricks posts, here and here. Maybe those will be of some help.

My number one tip - don't start posting a story unless you have something written already. You're only making it harder on yourself.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:27:02 am by Theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 04:08:05 pm »

Writer's block can be gotten over when you go out and do something that you find to be enjoyable and just relax. Let go of the problem when it comes to doing something creative and it will usually solve itself. And while I don't write stories for the game, I've written my fair share of creative pieces and it's always worked for me. Your mileage may vary, of course, but you have to find a method that works for you.

If you truly want the story to be purely your own, getting ideas from others isn't the best way to go about doing that. Theraven has a valid point about making character sketches, though. Select the kind of person(s) you wish to write about and flesh them out with likes/dislikes/quirks/experiences that make them who and what they are. Take it from there and most of all, enjoy creating a world of happenings for your story people.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:24:33 pm »

I agree with Paden that writing is something you've got to enjoy to make it good.

Some websites that might help.

http://www.brucehale.com/howto.htm
http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Short-Story
http://www.creative-writing-now.com/how-to-write-a-story.html
http://www.creative-writing-now.com/what-is-plot.html
http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php
http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/creative1/showing/

And I do advice you to not add "the end" if you're planning on adding more chapters/parts. "The end" is kind of reserved for the actual end of a story. It gets confusnig for the reader otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:47:20 pm by Theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 06:34:15 pm »

Just write. Start and don't worry too much if the idea makes much sense or if the story has any flow. It will help get the ball rolling and you can always go back later to smooth the rough patches out. Take some time to write every day.

Set a timer for ten minutes, pick a topic, and write without stopping. There are ten minute writing prompts all over the internet. All you have to do is use google to find them.

I'd like to agree with Theraven's statement about your habit of sticking "The End" on things. It's the reason why your first thread got removed. You started by telling people if you got 20 replies you'd continue and when we both gave you suggestions, you added another short post and "The End".

Before you post any story here, take time to figure out your story and flesh it out. Build your world, your characters and your plot. Have something to contribute, including pictures (because this is the Sims 2 Story section). If you don't have anything, don't post.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 07:29:52 am »

Also, have you read through any other sims stories throughout the community, or even other fan fiction-esque genres? (Not just slap-stick or vague storytelling types, but those that go out of the way to describe what's going on so people can actually visualize while reading...) If not, you might want to try doing that as soon as you can. Try looking for some you may like in this section, and you might surprise yourself with the amount of inspiration you may get once you do. Sometimes it's good to look through and see what kind of formats people use when writing Sims stories, from the use of their pictures to how characters, settings, and other important elements are presented. Try to observe how well each writer shares their stories and what makes each story strong or weak. 

Note that this doesn't mean you take specific subjects or themes from someone else's story and "borrow" them in order to draw more readers in. As it's been said before, you want to think about what it is you want to write about most of all, who your characters are along with their personalities/histories and how they interact with one another, and how to create a path to what direction you want your story to lead to concerning the subject matter at hand.  This may surely help you out some in order to get a better grasp on what everyone else has said before me. Wink

(Phew... yeah, curse you 5th grade writing SOL prep period for being stuck in my head all these years...)   DOH

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: