Insimenator.org
April 18, 2024, 12:38:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Clean Installer Error Messages, desperately seeking help!!!!!!  (Read 19896 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
PeachFuzz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 10:38:39 pm »

Er. There isn't anything wrong with the lots i currently have installed, I always look at what comes packaged In the file before I install them. Most of these lots came from ModTheSims, actually. I've rarely had an issue with lots from there anyways. Whatever possible cc that is making it crash, it isn't showing up anywhere. Like I've said before, I've already tried splitting my files into multiple sections and have looked through them to find out what is making my game act this way, which took days. I really would like to play my game again, but I'm becoming very pessimistic at this point. How can I find and resolve this issue by now. ? Is there anything else I can try ?
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 11:36:31 pm »

Pull your Downloads folder out and run your game without cc. If it works fine with no crashes, then you know for sure it's something in your cc. The best way to figure it out is to use the 50/50 method.

Also, regarding the amount of cc, what is the file size? (Not how many pieces of cc you have, but how much room the entire file takes up on your hard drive) I ask because the file size could still be the issue if you have a 34 bit system. As Theraven stated already, the maximum file size your game will be able to handle is 3GB. If you have more than that, then you'll have to do some pruning.

Everybody should believe something.
I believe I'll have more coffee.
PeachFuzz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 12:02:12 am »

@caffinatedjoy. I already tried the 50/50 method a couple times and I already had stated that I pulled my downloads folder out, everything works fine. I've gone through the wiki sims 'Game Help' thing already also.

I have a 64 bit system (Windows 7) btw. How do i find the file size.? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:09:11 am by PeachFuzz » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 12:28:38 am »

Right click on the file and select "Properties". You'll see the file size displayed there.

Also, I hate to pick nits, but you didn't actually specifically state you had run your game without any cc installed. You stated you entered lots without cc and had no problems, then entered lots with cc and the game crashed.

As to how lots can suddenly cause errors, it's possible for files to become corrupted over time for one reason or another. A piece of cc you've used for no problem for months or years can suddenly decide it wants to pitch and fit and break. Or it can be silently broken for a while with no sign until something prompts it to go visibly bad.

PeachFuzz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 12:53:13 am »

It says I have 26.4 Gb ( 28,378,460,783)

And ive generally ran my game without any cc, no crash.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 01:14:37 am »

Even though you have a 64-bit box, the game is still a 32-bit app.  26GB shouldn't be a problem for your game.

When you have half your CC out of the game, does Clean Installer run?  What about when 25% is out?  If the game and CI work with 50% and then 75% of your CC, I have to wonder if you are hitting the filehandle limit for 32-bit.  What that means is an app can only hold reference to so many files.  If that is the case, purging CC may be the only option, unless you are running multiple themed neighborhoods.
Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

Currently distracted by Something Shiny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 03:08:53 am »

26 gb not much? I think you meant 26 MB is not much. Most computers can't handle a lot of CC, and 26 GB can be in the upper limit for a lot of computers.

My new computer (which is made especially to handle heavy 3D and rendering) struggles with 30 gb and above. It only has 4 gb RAM, but still... I've done several things for it to be able to run that much CC (Widening the memory limit of the game, among other things). Usually spends 1-2 hours loading. It runs 20-ish gb fine, spending 20-30 minutes loading. Before I did the adjusting, it crashed on more than 20 gb.  

In most cases if it's CC-crashes, the computer crashes at the same act every time (going through things like hairs or furniture or other in the catalog, or visiting lots with the same piece of CC). If your game crashes randomly, but it can be narrowed down to "anything that needs a lot of memory" (loading in general, opening the makeover screen, loading CAS, using weather, loading heavy lots with lots of CC, and similar), then I'd say you're experiencing memory crashes.

And yes, heavy-duty computers can have memory crashes. The game has a limit on how much memory it can use (it's a 10 year old game - 4 or more GB of RAM was not very common back then), so it doesn't matter if your computer has 10 GB or 100 GB RAM, because the game won't be able to use it.

If your game spends a lot of time loading, then that's another telltale sign you've got too much CC. And if your game runs fine without any CC, then that might even back yo this theory.

Solution:
Get rid of custom content you don't need.
or
widen the limit of how much memory your game can use (there was a thread about it somewhere - I'll link it if I can find it).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:30:59 am by Theraven » Logged

My site:

Little Fire Burning - Chapter 85 out

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
PeachFuzz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 03:37:49 am »

@ancienthighway

Okay, so I found that the game runs fine with 85% of the CC. I've enterted a handful of lots (with and without cc) and it didn't crash while loading or while navigating on that lot. Afterwards I opened the Clean Installer and I didn't receive the previous main error messages, whether it was scanning the Lotcatalog or the Downloads folder.

Ah, well i do have multiple hoods with themes. How can I go about 'purging'?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:39:03 am by PeachFuzz » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 08:27:50 am »

That's really up to you. You have pick what cc you don't want and remove it.

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 08:34:26 am »

Or make separate downloads folders, one for each game that you can swap around when you want to play them.

My site:

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain~
PeachFuzz

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 08:53:57 am »

Hm, so basically it's a memory issue. That's what it all boils down to.?

Is there any way at all I can increase the memory of the game. ?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:37:38 am by PeachFuzz » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2013, 09:57:43 am »

No. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know what would be involved in doing such a thing, but, this aside, messing with the game's core files is not a good idea. Since you've narrowed down your problem to an issue of too much cc, the best (and really, only) resolution is to either prune your custom content as I suggested, or do as Theraven suggested and split your cc into different folders depending on what you may need for each family/neighbourhood and swap them out depending on which you play.

PeachFuzz

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 06:37:20 am »

I'm still having the problem and still seeing the two error messages.

A few days ago I just started over. Then I only installed some lots, right now I only have around 7,000 cc in my downloads folder. I don't think it ever was a "quantity" issue.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 09:48:52 am by PeachFuzz » Logged
caffeinated.joy
Queen of Caffeine
Admin

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2013, 10:21:13 am »

Just a note, when referring to the amount of cc in your game, it's always best to do so in terms of size rather than number of items, as individual pieces can vary in size. Seven thousand pieces of cc in your game will be a different size than 7000 in my game.

It's still something in your custom content, as we have been suggesting all along. Either quantity, a broken mesh, a corrupted file...something. You mentioned before your game was running fine with 85% of your cc, so I'm thinking it was something in the remaining 15% breaking your game. In looking at the pictures in your original post, the object reference error lists a Peggy bed item as the cause, so I would start with pulling out the bed. If this error pops up for more than one item, then I would suggest you pull them out. It's a nitpicky progress and I know you're frustrated. A few years ago I went through a similar thing trying to find a clothing mesh messing with everything my sims wore. I spent weeks examining my downloads folder with a fine toothed comb, wanting to play, but unable to, unless I was willing to ignore how bizarrely messed up my sims looked if they wore...well...clothing. I think people on the other side of Canada heard my victory shout when I finally found it. 

Theraven
The Bird Queen
Admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 12:29:32 pm »

Same here. I couldn't use the small electronics tab for ages, as my game always crashed when I tried to open it. Turned out to be a faulty fire alarm (From TSR...). And boy, that was fine-combing! I was down to the last folder before I found the file (50-50 method). It was a nice-looking object, so I converted it into a deco object so I could use it. Haven't had troubles later (at least, not CC troubles I couldn't easily solve).

My site:

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: