Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 06:31:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Giving Townies and NPC's Bodyshape.  (Read 39841 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
meremale

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2006, 07:44:15 am »

I thought I would start this thread to share ideas and knowledge.  Now that our simmies have various bodyshapes, thanks to Warlokk, it doesn't seem fair not to share them with NPC (non-playable sims) and original residents (those who came with the game).

I remember seeing a comment on the easiest way to "transform" townies, replace them.  The general idea was to move out, say, the Goth family and move your own "Goth" family in.  However when you move out a family all the furniture goes with them so go to

http://www.nectere.net/smf/index.php

or better known as The Laden Swallow and click your way to Simlogical Stuff/Sims 2/Miscellaneous Hacks and look for Stay Things Shrub. Plant that at the Goths house, set it to leave things behind, and move them out.  Off to create a family and create to your hearts content. Move them in via a cheap house and a money cheat, and forget about them.

NPC's are a little harder. NPC's are people like the maid, bar staff, postie, university staff etc etc.  A simple way to do this is available at

http://www.simwardrobe.com/

and click your way to Sims 2 NPC Replacer. This program works well, but is limited to clothing changes. It puts a .pkg file in your saved sims folder, which should be able to be moved to any game that has the identical clothing item and mesh installed.  An enterprising individual may produce a package that will replace all of the staff uniforms at well known community lots, using their own designed clothing uniforms linked to Warlokk's bodyshape meshes to give them bodyshape.  This program only changes the clothing, so under the censor blur will be the same old default maxis sim.

There is a tutorial at

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=74939

for Ugly NPC/Townies Makeover. I have not used this method yet, so any feedback from those who have is welcomed.  My understanding is that the tutorial will teach you how to change NPC's/Townies from the bodymesh up.

If you change the work uniforms of NPC's using this or the next method you will need to get from

http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=89766&page=1&pp=25

a .pkg file to stop them from changing back into uniforms for work.

The final method I am aware of seems to me to be easiest and best that I have tried. Go to

http://hideki.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=284411

and download the Sim Boutique Clothing Rack.  Put the rack into a sims house and you can summons any neighbor, townie or NPC and do a near complete makeover on them using a cas like environment.  Not only that, your sim gets to spend a pleasant evening with them. The downside is it will not change the bodyshape mesh, however choosing clothing linked to Warlokk's bodyshape meshes will alter their outward appearance.

Please keep this thread to general viewing content.

Your imput is very welcomed as the aim of this thread is to share ideas and experiences.

If you use and like Warlokk's work please consider putting a couple of simoleons in the tip jar. Who knows, it might make Warlokk work harder and get those full body meshes out sooner.

Thank you
meremale
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:43:40 am by J00wish » Logged
Warlokk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:25:15 am »

Wow Mere, this is great... I've been so involved in making my meshes, I haven't been watching what other folks have been doing lately, so I hadn't seen any of these.  Good to see Paladin is back at it with his NPC Replacer, I used to use his Sims 1 version.

Is there a way with any of these to change the skintone assigned to an NPC?  That would make the transformation complete, if you could assign the proper bodyshape skintone as well.

Be sure to stop by Warlokk's Tower Workshop to see what's new!
Need help with the Bodyshape Sets? Bodyshape How-To Tutorial
meremale

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 08:48:12 am »

Quote from: Warlokk
Wow Mere, this is great... I've been so involved in making my meshes, I haven't been watching what other folks have been doing lately, so I hadn't seen any of these.  Good to see Paladin is back at it with his NPC Replacer, I used to use his Sims 1 version.

Is there a way with any of these to change the skintone assigned to an NPC?  That would make the transformation complete, if you could assign the proper bodyshape skintone as well.

The Ugly NPC Makeover tutorial allows you to make a sim in bodyshop and replace the NPC with the one you made.  However it is quite involved and I have not had time to try it.
wademilner

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 10:28:25 am »

Why won't the Sim Boutique Clothing Rack work? You said it would not change the bodyshape mesh. If it's a Warlokk outfit won't it automatically change to the mesh associated with it?
Warlokk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 10:39:31 am »

That would change the clothing mesh, which is what you see most of the time anyway.  In order for them to keep the shape when naked though, you'd have to assign a Bodyshape Skintone as well, otherwise they'll go back to the default.  In most cases this is fine, since many NPCs you don't usually see naked, but for townies it would be useful.

The Cheat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 11:05:53 am »

I actually came up with a somewhat-simple, but really drawn-out process for replacing skintones in my neighborhood. I could write it out and post some screenshots (since I have to use SimPE), but I won't do it unless a few people want it. Doing it this way, I manage to change townie and NPC skintones at the rate of around 2-3 Sims per minute. It's pretty easy, really, but those who are clueless with SimPE might have trouble... :animal:

Question: Is the skintone code generated for a specific custom skintone random in someone's game or will it be the same for each person who uses that skintone?

Yeah man. I'll gnaw your face off.
- Teh C.

Oh yeah, uh...The Cheat is a green stripe-ed rabbit, with two butts!
meremale

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 11:33:58 am »

I followed the tutorial but came to the conclusion that making the replacement maid in cas was better. If you want to use Warlokk's bodyshape no point putting the default clothes back on her. Convert some maidy looking clothes to use the matching Warlokk's mesh (use Warlokk's tutorial). Make your maid (or NPC) call her "replacement Maid" etc and put her in a cheap house.

The version of simPE is different but it is not hard to find the right menu buttons to use. Follow the tutorial and whallah a rather attractive maid (one I made) tuned up for work. One point tho, I selected "change skintone only" first and it came up with an error, so I just did normal surgery.

Plan ahead and have all your clothes ready and a temporary house to put her in.  The whole process took a little time but you could do them in batches of 3 or 4 and house them all in the same place.  Using cas instead of slow slow bodyshop also helped as I was able to choose turn on's etc.

Don't forget to use the mod that I mentioned to stop them changing into work clothes.

I will play with the program a little more to make sure Warlokk's bodyshape has been used
meremale

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 11:44:31 am »

Quote from: The Cheat
I actually came up with a somewhat-simple, but really drawn-out process for replacing skintones in my neighborhood. I could write it out and post some screenshots (since I have to use SimPE), but I won't do it unless a few people want it. Doing it this way, I manage to change townie and NPC skintones at the rate of around 2-3 Sims per minute. It's pretty easy, really, but those who are clueless with SimPE might have trouble... :animal:

Question: Is the skintone code generated for a specific custom skintone random in someone's game or will it be the same for each person who uses that skintone?

Warlokk will need to respond to your question. But I have a question. Does your method allow neighborhood sims to use different skintones?  One advantage I found using the Ugly NPC Tute was being able to "gussy" up the sim in question at the same time. In fact if you were to download a Marilyn Monroe sim, set her up with correct attributes from Warlokk, she could be your maid/gardener/nanny/waiter etc

If you can give more detail, your method may be useful to some simmers.

Thanks for your response.
Warlokk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 12:43:50 pm »

On The Cheat's question, I'm not really sure... I would think the reference in the skintone would stay the same, since you are installing the package directly into the game, rather than using a Sim2Pack thing, which generates random IDs and such.  So, as far as I know, it should be the same for everyone.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:50:29 pm by Warlokk » Logged

The Cheat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 01:03:19 pm »

Quote from: meremale
Warlokk will need to respond to your question. But I have a question. Does your method allow neighborhood sims to use different skintones?  One advantage I found using the Ugly NPC Tute was being able to "gussy" up the sim in question at the same time. In fact if you were to download a Marilyn Monroe sim, set her up with correct attributes from Warlokk, she could be your maid/gardener/nanny/waiter etc

If you can give more detail, your method may be useful to some simmers.

Thanks for your response.

Actually, as part of my "method," I took the time to convert all of Warlokk's meshes to each of the default skintones (in my case, they're all Paradise defaults) in each of the 4 colors. So, I basically have 4 skintones for each mesh size (although, I only did 34 hips on most of them except 34DD and 36DDD, which are 36 and 38, respectively). Then I went online to find some random percentages to use for my distribution of bust sizes. I counted the number of Sims in my neighborhood for each skintone, and I've divided the different sizes for each skintone (light, tan, medium, dark) according to the percentages I found. Since then, I've basically been cycling through the sizes as I go through my neighborhood replacing townie and NPC skintones (both in DNA and their actual standalone packages). It's a laboring process, especially since my 'hood has more than 400 Sims, but it ensures the distribution of bust size DNA that I want.

I don't think I'll be finishing my own 'hood anytime soon though...still got about 330 or so to go. :sad5: Trust me, I'm sure someone could find a way to automate my "method," considering how much of a pain it is.

Yeah man. I'll gnaw your face off.
- Teh C.

Oh yeah, uh...The Cheat is a green stripe-ed rabbit, with two butts!
meremale

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 08:00:21 pm »

Quote from: we4redheads
I use a neat little program called TS2 Enhancer.  Use it routinely to check out the different skintones I'm working with in the game.  It's not shareware; but, it's fairly cheap if it's something you're going to be doing more than once in a while.

What does it do? and where is it available from?
Black Sabbath

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 03:42:33 pm »

I'd rather stick with meremale for now and meremale when you said The downside is it will not change the bodyshape mesh, however choosing clothing linked to Warlokk's bodyshape meshes will alter their outward appearance. Do you mean It will use warlokk's meshes on the clothing he used on his meshes

What is the price of a bullet? Another hole in the head. a flag drapped over a coffin. Another soldier is dead.
How many victims have fallen? How many more have to die? People dying in masses. angel of death standing by
howardlpeters

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 05:24:54 pm »

For what it's worth, here's what I do.  Every neighborhood has three maids, two paperdelivery persons, two gardeners, maildelivery, etc.  So...

I make replacement sims in CAS for the whole lot.  I name them maid 1 npc, etc.  Then, I import them into the game but not into a house.  They seems quite happy to just sit there in a group.

Next step.  When you call for maid service (for example) write down the name of the maid responding to your call.  Now go to SimPE Neighborhood, SimSurgery.  Select the maid you just hired and select her/him for surgery.  Locate the Maid 1 sim you have already created and stick that one in the second "use" section and perform the surgery.  Clothing, skin tone, body type, etc.  will be written onto the NPC maid.

Now for some real fun.  At the bottom of the screen, you are able to change skills, wants, sex, etc.  Make that lazy maid happy to do more than throw away an old newspaper.

This process is not complicated.  Just go slowly and write down what you've done so you don't get lost.  I don't think there is an accurate tutorial for the newer version of SimPE, but you don't really need it.  I managed the first time through.  Good Luck!

"Those late for dinner will not be served a fruit cup."

I'm Baaaaack!
meremale

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 09:26:47 pm »

Quote from: Black Sabbath
I'd rather stick with meremale for now and meremale when you said The downside is it will not change the bodyshape mesh, however choosing clothing linked to Warlokk's bodyshape meshes will alter their outward appearance. Do you mean It will use warlokk's meshes on the clothing he used on his meshes

I assume you are refering to the clothing rack or NPC replacer. Choosing say a 34DD 36 outfit and putting it on any sim will make that sim appear to be that bodyshape. However if that sim takes a shower and you have the no censor blur the sim will revert back to the maxis default shape.  When they get dressed again they will put the 34DD 36 clothing back on. For most NPC/Townies thats ok. Just remember to change all categories of clothing that NPC's etc., use. Warlokk's and other bodyshape clothing are linked to the bodyshape mesh. If you are changing NPC's (workclothes) use the patch that I refered to.
meremale

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 09:34:25 pm »

Quote from: howardlpeters
For what it's worth, here's what I do.  Every neighborhood has three maids, two paperdelivery persons, two gardeners, maildelivery, etc.  So...

I make replacement sims in CAS for the whole lot.  I name them maid 1 npc, etc.  Then, I import them into the game but not into a house.  They seems quite happy to just sit there in a group.

Next step.  When you call for maid service (for example) write down the name of the maid responding to your call.  Now go to SimPE Neighborhood, SimSurgery.  Select the maid you just hired and select her/him for surgery.  Locate the Maid 1 sim you have already created and stick that one in the second "use" section and perform the surgery.  Clothing, skin tone, body type, etc.  will be written onto the NPC maid.

Now for some real fun.  At the bottom of the screen, you are able to change skills, wants, sex, etc.  Make that lazy maid happy to do more than throw away an old newspaper.

This process is not complicated.  Just go slowly and write down what you've done so you don't get lost.  I don't think there is an accurate tutorial for the newer version of SimPE, but you don't really need it.  I managed the first time through.  Good Luck!

That is the ugly NPC/Townie makeover tute in a nutshell. Being able to just put them in the sim bin is handy. Have you deleted them from the sim bin and if so do they remain in the game with their new attributes?

Thanks for the info.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: