Insimenator.org
March 29, 2024, 02:31:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Ladder with custom animations  (Read 40594 times)
0 Members and 2 Chinese Bots are viewing this topic.
marvine
Silent

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2007, 01:47:39 pm »

So, when testing Wes_h's Animesh exporter for Milkshape I asked myself what I wanted most in game (and that didn't seem freakishly difficult in terms of BHAVs and other real modding stuff!!)... Well, it seems that I'm happy with not much :lol:

Anyway, here's what I hope is a realistic enough alternative for the usual space saving stairs: stealth stairs, teleporters, and Targa's ladder stairs that were my favourite despite the lack of animations.

The base object was cloned from Targa's ladder stairs; the mesh was replaced but I kept his original footprint. So this ladder takes only 2 tiles, 1 for the ladder itself and 1 for the landing.

The custom animations are for all ages, except toddlers that can't use stairs anyway; all the locomotion types (sexy, depressed, angry...) will use the same "normal" animation, except the "run" locomotion for which the speed was doubled - pets and ghosts will just jump, at least for ghosts that makes sense

You'll find two different objects below:

- the "Marvine-ladder-animated" with 7 recolours : light wood, dark trashed wood, white, grey, black, blue, and a raw wood texture by Beosboxboy. The base object uses a warm medium wood texture, don't delete that one in game!

- the "Marvine-ladder-animated-metalClone", mesh and texture by my dear Beosboxboy, for an industrial look.

The packages were tested with Seasons and with base game only, I don't think the minor last minute changes will affect that.

Known issues:

- despite all the pains I took, the hands sometimes sink a little in the sides of the ladder, and this is more noticeable on the metal version which uses a slightly thicker mesh. Well it's not too bad with the fading...
- some animation overlays will look weird, like climbing upstairs when holding a baby, or when the sim turns to look at another sim; I didn't figure out how the priorities work so there's nothing I can do about that for now. It shouldn't happen very often anyway, unless you have the nursery upstairs Smiley
- when climbing down, the sim turns a little briskly to face the ladder and to walk away; this is the only workaround I found for a skeleton settings issue.
If you notice anything else, please let me know!

Policy: you're welcome to recolour, clone, modify with appropriate credit; please don't upload on pay sites or the Exchange.

Biggest thanks: to Wes_H of course, being his guinea pig was a priviliege :lol:, to Echo for answering my dumb questions, and to both Echo and John Brehaut for their great tutorials that got me started - and to Beosboxboy for putting up with my baby mad scientist moods and whining Smiley

And, of course, to all the people that made this possible with their tools, research and advice!

* Marvine-ladder-animated.rar (605.13 KB - downloaded 2370 times.)
* Marvine-ladder-animated-metalClone.rar (138.66 KB - downloaded 1869 times.)

* 8ladders.jpg (96.6 KB, 529x489 - viewed 2552 times.)

* ladder.jpg (201.68 KB, 820x689 - viewed 3141 times.)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:42:16 am by BeosBoxBoy » Logged
engelchen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 02:06:25 pm »

Thank you so much dear marvine for this great ladder!
I've been waiting soooo long for a ladder with animation.
Another masterpiece from you.
Thanks also to beosboxboy for the metal version.

*big hugs for you both*
Now I must see this in game! Yay!

~walking with a friend in the dark
 is better than walking alone in the light~
kim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:48:30 pm »

Nice Job

hardwaretoad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 05:18:32 pm »

So, when testing Wes_h's Animesh exporter for Milkshape I asked myself what I wanted most in game (and that didn't seem freakishly difficult in terms of BHAVs and other real modding stuff!!)... Well, it seems that I'm happy with not much

Jeez, marvine, I was happy with your "bounce test" over at MTS2! So nice to see that with the collaboration in the community that there's finally starting to be some fruit to be picked off of the illusive animation tree. Congradulations for being one of the first to offer us one ~ thanks.

Thanks to all that helped in this as well... :notworth:

\"Jeux sans Frontieres\"...
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 05:18:47 pm »

Like I said over @ MTS2, you've done a purely awesome job!  I just tried them out in my game, and I must say I'm certainly enjoying them!  :angel:

tallsimsfan77

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 05:19:29 pm »

Thanks, Marvine. Cheesy

Sigs are for smokers.
SynapticSim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 05:38:45 pm »

Simply amazing!  I never thought a modder would be able to do this, and I didn't think EA would do it either.  Guess that teaches me to doubt the amazing talent available in this community!

Great Job Ju!

~ Syn

Join SynapticSim's Lair Today!
Downloads!  Discussions!  Stories!  Art!  Check it out!
Dizzymental

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 05:47:15 pm »

Inspired. Thanks so much. Smiley
timberario

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 05:55:03 pm »

very cool. i always loved that other ladder but it was weird watching them just appear.  thanks so much!
Rogue777

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 05:58:20 pm »

This is simply fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time to learn how to do this stuff, Marvine. *SMOOCHIES!*
megativity13

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 05:59:01 pm »

wow!  just wow!  thank you for sharing.

feed the hungry while testing your vocabulary
chinaphat_cu

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 06:10:46 pm »

Great job! Thank you.
Corinne

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 07:04:33 pm »

Very very nice, Ju and Yakov; I'm loving these! They look fab, and they're perfect for garages and such.  Thank you so very much!

Menaceman44

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 07:21:12 pm »

Brilliant! I saw this ladder and thought wow. Then I asked myself if I would actually use it in game. My answer was that I would use it for tree houses and the like.
Nice work once again!

I have more creations and fixes available in my profile at MTS.
jmtmom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 07:28:24 pm »

Thanks Marvine and Beosboxboy! This will be very useful to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: