Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 03:00:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: CC or no CC  (Read 11104 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:31:03 am »

Their comes a time when every gamer asks what can be done to make the game his or hers.  Personalize it.  Maybe even do something to make it unique from others.

Custom content is great for that.  You want medieval, you've got medieval.  You want Sci-Fi, you've got Sci-Fi.  You want a Utopia Orgy Fest, you've got a Utopia Orgy Fest.  You want a rugrat infested slum neighborhood, you've got it.
You want a 12-step program from Downloaders Anonymous?  Sorry doesn't exist.

The question of whether to use CC or not to use CC is one every gamer has to make.  Some do, some don't.  The thing that bothers me about CC is how some users come across snobbish when tooting their horn about all the CC they have and refuse to use anything that's "just Maxis".  

(Visions of the "In Crowd" of sim teenage girls pop into mind gossiping every time they see a townie walk by wearing plaid shorts and a cowboy shirt.  OMG, did you see the size of that guy's lips.  What a monkey face!  Then later that night, alone in their rooms sleeping, that monkey faced townie that doesn't know about CC feels their dreams with fields of flowers and send the hormones racing.)

One person has CC.  Lots of it.  Then the game takes forever to load.  Bodyshop has to be planned for use a day in advanced.  New downloads crash the game every 30 minutes, but "that new outfit HAS to stay, what can I do?"

Another person has CC.  Just the bare minimum to corrects some of the more blunderous choices a California geek made for makeup and hairstyles.  Maybe even some recolors of the original clothing.  The game loads in 5 minutes or less.  No crashes because of a new mesh.  No mobs of the Fashion Police harassing those poor townies that don't even have a mirror.

Hey, it's your game.  Play it the way you want.  Download all you want.  Or don't want.  Or don't download.  Just lose the "better than" attitude you have because someone doesn't play the same as you.

Tip for Contest Entering Gamers and Storytellers:  Download all the CC you can.  No CC means 1st round elimination.  No CC means no one likes your story or someone steals your plot and because of CC readers like it more.
ant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 10:44:36 am »

I Think I get what you mean.
Yesterday I deleted All my custom content and only download the bare minimum i.e. a set of default replacement faces.
Why?, because I love to download all this lovely free CC but my PC is not that fast and I get the most annoying lagging when ever a sim comes on to the lot wearing the custom clothing I downloaded a few weeks back.
So I thought to delete it and give my pc a little rest and make my game get ready for EP6 and maybe after a few weeks when I get bored, I may download a bit to spice up the game.
Any way thanks for raising this thread.
AlbinoBambi

A.k.a. Ilse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 10:59:22 am »

I mostly agree.
But I won a contest without using cc. I have some posing hacks, bunk beds and reflective floors and walls, OMSP's, and that's it. And still, I won, winning from people who's games were filled with cc.
But I do agree that usually, the chances of winning are larger when you do use cc. Buut, it is possible without it. ^^

Why can't life be like The Sims, where you can control someone with just one click?

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 11:44:07 am »

Ok,it is possible to win without CC, but for the generic beauty contests, it's a lot more difficult. Smiley

My point really is about the attitude that comes across from those that would never stoop so low as to use Maxis clothing/hair/furniture/whatever.  Someone that likes and uses exclusively or mostly or even a lot of CC shouldn't act like those that don't use any or limit their use of it are social misfits.

It's nice to know that everything you can get in Stuff Packs could be found as CC from one of the many talented creators out there.  I'm willing to pay a little bit of money to EA for the convenience of a Stuff Pack that may have fewer selections than I could find on the web and maybe a little twisted in their un-Fashion Policed sense.  I'm not so willing to spend hours upon hours looking for that "perfect" outfit to fit the personality I want for my just turned teenager sim.
ant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 12:01:14 pm »

Quote from: ancienthighway;916259
My point really is about the attitude that comes across from those that would never stoop so low as to use Maxis clothing/hair/furniture/whatever.  Someone that likes and uses exclusively or mostly or even a lot of CC shouldn't act like those that don't use any or limit their use of it are social misfits.

I in some way feel the sims 2 is not the sims 2 with custom clothing in fact, I love the objects and stuff that comes in the game and I feel the same way about people tending to brag about how much they have in there download folder...
Ok here's mine for instance 15.9 MB of 122 files and 4 folders. Tiny isn't it Smiley I have no crashes, things getting lost, replacement objects, no recolours, just a few files to make the game manageable.
The Size, amount of files, It's not something to brag about and not something to be recognised as a "social misfit".
The best thing to remember is:
Its YOUR game you do what you want!
Plus it's good to see you think the same way as me about download hunting Smiley  I would never do that...

EDIT: I think people see a large, many filed download folder as a status quote...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:04:09 pm by ant » Logged
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 12:06:25 pm »

I'd say it's a gender issue, but when I was entering contests and thinking of storytelling, I had 30+GB of downloads that I'd rotate in and out of game depending on what I needed....
MissDoh

Back for more!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 12:20:02 pm »

Tip for Contest Entering Gamers and Storytellers: Download all the CC you can. No CC means 1st round elimination. No CC means no one likes your story or someone steals your plot and because of CC readers like it more.

For some contest indeed cc is required as well as photoshop skills,  but for others (like the one I am running for example) they are not a necessity at all.  I am a contest judge and depending of which type of contest I am judging, I do not look at how much cc the people used in their pics but if there is enough light, if it is related to the story or not.

Therefore, I do not agree with your statement and I am sure many other judges won't either.  Just choose wisely the one you enter and do not accuse judges of favoritism.  I am fair and square with everyone.

You are entitle to your own opion about that.  I am entitle to have mine too. Wink
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 12:22:55 pm by MissDoh » Logged
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 12:25:16 pm »

Therefore, I do not agree with your statement and I am sure many other judges won't either. Just choose wisely the one you enter and do not accuse judges of favoritism. I am fair and square with everyone.

Favoritism is a whole other issue I won't even go into. Smiley
trl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 12:47:46 pm »

I have won a few contests between here and the adult site and have heard the implied comment that I won because of all the CC I have, not often but a few times. I was somewhat hurt by this and it has slowed my interest in entering contests. So I do agree somewhat what you are saying, Ancient. I don't have tons, just quality items. If they had paid attention they would notice most of the same stuff is used each contest. What about my lighting, use of color, texture, composition and in-game poses?  I don't Frankensim my poses. I am in the process of purging my folder of all things I don't use. I am tired of the headache all the "stuff" is causing me with load time, especially in bodyshop. But I could never get rid of it all. I also have very few hacks/mods.

Lately I have began judging mostly at the adult site and some at DLMulsows site. I will say that I could care less if the applicant uses CC or not. I actually stated in one of my judge comments that "This is a perfect example of an amazing entry without CC". I judge on creativity with posing (not just photoshopped poses but in game ones, that to me is where the challenge lies) and as Miss D'oh has stated, lighting, use of color etc. I also will not necessarily judge by the g/card the applicant has either. If it is the most creative entry the G/card will not sway me. I don't know if I am in the majority with this but that is how I judge.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 06:42:06 am by trl » Logged

Jagerjaques
Hollow

Grimmjow

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 01:21:50 pm »

I feel your post is bias and one-sided.  If you wanted to hear what people thought of CC or No CC, that's fine, but the fact that you wanted to directly attack contests is harsh to say the least.  This is one of the best contests forum I've ever been to.  I am proud to say that the members in my forum are some of the greatest on the 'net.  Let's face it: Maxis skins and hair (something ALL judges look at even if they say they don't) are generally boring and underdone.  Some people have tons of CC and some little or none, and we all do what we can to make the game playable and more important, FUN to us.  I was using CC WAAAY before I even heard of contests!  AND I do and will contine to use Maxis objects and YES even HAIR (not skin or eyes, thank god) when it is well-done and appeals to my personal style.  Most of us use different CC every shot because we CAN.  And I want to echo trl, here, and state that many of us win, not because we have the 'newest clothes' or 'prittiest hair', but because we use interesting picture taking technique.  The right pose will get my vote over better CC anyday.
tragedymcneil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 01:42:34 pm »

I only download new clothes, hair and makeup. and I try to keep it to just hair nowadays because I have enough makeup and the clothes...well I find maxis made clothes is generally better. it dosen't glitch, have random blue holes where it shouldn't and it dosen't freak out one day and flash blue. so now I only download hair and it must be darn good hair, hair I know won't be horrible once into the game. I don't have anything against custom content I would just prefer less of it.
ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 02:21:53 pm »

Brenda, perhaps you missed my second post.

This was never meant to be an attack on the contests here or any other site.  Sorry that you got that impression.  I've not done a contest in such a long time that I couldn't even begin to guess how they are now.  A lot of new hosts.  A lot of new judges.  A lot of new contestants.  It's completely different now from what I may remember.

In truth, this was more of a rebuttal to Yakov's post about how he feels that Stuff Packs, in particular the Teen Stuff Pack, are worthless and a total waste of money.
kaitco

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 02:35:39 pm »

Tragedymcneil, I am the same way. I recently went through my downloads folder and tossed over a gig of items I never used in the game. Most of those were clothes and recolours of objects that I never ended up using anyway, but had to have when I first saw them. I am very particular about the custom content I download now, because my computer is aging and I do not see a reason to keep a load of it just in the off chance that I might use for an aged sim later in my game. Some hacks are nice to have because it just makes game play more fun for me, but I often try to purge those if I think I have not been making much use for them.

I do not use custom skins that seem like almost a necessity on a lot of sites because I like mixing up the sim babies and seeing what I can get out of their genetics and I find that most fabulous-looking custom hair, looks kind of bad when played in the game. It is this lack of custom items that has kept me from entering contests and had kept me from even attempting stories for the longest time. The contests seem a bit overwhelming to me with the amount of cc and I end up feeling like, "Well, I don't use custom skins, so I'd probably get laughed out of the contest if I tried." I try to make up for "lackluster" imagery in stories by just writing well and hoping that the story does what it should do.

On the subject of the stuff packs however, I have not purchased one nor do I see myself doing so in the future. Reason being, there is enough "stuff" in the game as it is and I do not really see the benefit of paying a lot extra for items that are not going to give me another level of game play. At least with the expansions, there are new interactions and new things to discover with the game. That said, I can see why someone who justs wants a few other options for chairs, beds, etc. might dive into the stuff packs if he or she did not want the added nuisance of custom content.

DorienneSmith.com ~ where life finds meaning...or at least, that is what I claim

Spongity

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 08:03:43 pm »

Maxis content just isn't my style, so I rarely use it. I think it's stupid to be snobby about it (I can't exactly think of many people who are snobby about it...), but I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring custom content. For example, I find Maxis makeup, eyebrows, and eyes very unappealing, but it's fine by me if somebody else uses them. I've seen plenty of people make great sims with all Maxis content.

And, on the topic of the contest forum since it's being brought up: Nobody over there gives a damn about how much CC you have. As much as people might like to think, good CC does not automatically make a good picture. If it's not a good picture, pretty hair isn't going to fix that. No one is going to laugh at someone who enters a sim with a Maxis skin.

Maybe I've just missed it, but I'm not picking up the 'Snobby-CC-User' vibe from anyone. Sure, I've seen people who act like snobs and brag about all the paysite content they have, but that's not really on the subject. I don't think people really care what others do with their game CC-wise, as it's their choice and everyone has their own style. Whether or not Maxis content fits your style is up to you.

My Flickr-Updated 5/26
My Picture Thread-Updated 6/26
"Michael always says K.I.S.S, Keep It Simple Stupid. Great advice, hurts my feelings every time."-Dwight Schrute
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 08:40:36 pm »

Like many other people, I've always loved variety and uniqueness, and custom meshes and recolors have always provided that.  Sure, I've gotten to the point where I'm bogged down with a ridiculous amount of downloads, and it take almost 45 minutes for my game to completely load, (including the 10 min wait for CAS screen... :punch: ) but I also find it quite difficult to narrow down what I do and don't need any longer because I use everything in my Downloads folder... mainly for miscellaneous backdrop details, and different hair/clothing styles, etc.   I may just end up saving all of my valued custom-made content to my jump drive and trashing everything else.  My hard drive could use a fresh start from the 8.33 GB of junk I have in my Downloads... yeah, I deserve another :punch: for being an absolute hoarder these past two years.  :oops:

I don't understand how people could be adamant about the game's original content if others choose to use it themselves.  It's okay for a while, IMHO, but eventually a lot of people yearn for that change from the usual.  For those who prefer to stick with Maxis genetics and original EA objects on their own accord, I greatly admire you for it.  :smile bi:  It gives me comfort to know that people still enjoy Sims 2 just for the sheer spirit of the game itself, not for the little "spice-ups" that many people, including me, feel the need for.  :thumbup:  Not to mention that I've seen many contest pictures with EA/Maxis content set up so well that they just don't need the extra content.  Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: