Insimenator.org
April 26, 2024, 08:17:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Not exactly the sims, but my computer...  (Read 5916 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Charley

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2007, 05:25:38 am »

I have just bought what i thought was 2GB of ram... but when put in my computer it reads it as 512mb... could my computer be wrong when it says that in dxdiag or have i been made a fool of and sold something that is only 512mb?

Char
xxx
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 05:43:47 am by Charley » Logged

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 08:46:31 am »

Memory has to be installed in pairs unless it's a solitary memory card.  If your computer has 2 memory card slots, both must be identical as are as RAM.  With four slots, the first 2 have to be the same, and the second two have to be the same, but they don't have to be the same as the first two.

Example:  On my current computer I had 2x512MB and 2x1GB until I updated to 4x1GB.

Try taking out your 512 card and see what you have then.  Also make sure the speed of the 2GB is the correct speed for your memory bus.  Consult the specifications that came with the computer and it should tell you exactly what you need.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 10:33:07 am »

I have taken out the memory that i had and inserted the new 2GB stick, and its coming up like this, if there is only one stick should it read like this?

How do i check thet speed of the memory bus? I have no documentation because this computer is about 7 or 8 years old and i dunno where all the stuff is.

Also i cannot put my other RAM in with this stick, it comes up with errors that windows isn't installed properly and things like that but is okay when the 2GB stick is in on its own.

Hope i haven't misread you! lol

EDIT: i have downloaded a program from the net to tell me the characteristics of my motherboard.

Char
xxx
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 11:05:55 am by Charley » Logged

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 11:18:32 am »

With the computer being 7 or 8 years old, the memory bus may not support anything more than 512 MB.  In which case, assuming you have two slots for memory, you could put 2x512 MB cards in and get 1GB RAM.

Other than looking up the specifications, I don't know of a way to check the speed.  Maybe a search on the web can get you those.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 11:22:42 am »

Does that piccy help at all, or is that just telling me whats in there now? If thats tellin me what speed i can have and how much i can have then shouldn't i be able to have 2048mb of memory?

Char
xxx

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 11:34:03 am »

Quote from: Charlotte;957037
Does that piccy help at all, or is that just telling me whats in there now? If thats tellin me what speed i can have and how much i can have then shouldn't i be able to have 2048mb of memory?

Char
xxx

Actually that information is telling you what you have installed with the new memory card.  Take another look the output of that program and see if there's some other information on the slot/bus itself rather than the installed memory.

Be careful...you may find yourself turning into a geek Cheesy
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 12:03:15 pm »

Memory Controller Properties:  
   Error Detection Method   None  
   Error Correction   None  
   Supported Memory Interleave   1-Way  
   Current Memory Interleave   4-Way  
   Supported Memory Speeds   70ns, 60ns  
   Supported Memory Types   SPM, EDO  
   Supported Memory Voltages   5V  
   Maximum Memory Module Size   32 MB  
   Memory Slots   3  

This any good? Made it do a report of my computer, where it says maximum memory module size, i have had a 512mb and a 256mb in there and that worked.

Char
xxx

ancienthighway

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 12:22:59 pm »

Looking at your last post, I don't think your computer will support the 2GB card.  You might take that information along with the 2GB card back to the store, get one of the techies there to confirm, then see about getting the proper memory.

Put the 512MB memory back in and get the card information like you have in post #3.  With 3 memory slots, you should be able to get 2 more similar and get you up to 1.5GB.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 12:23:37 pm »

Goin my sisters now, so won't be online for a bit, but will prob be online later.

Char
xxx

Charley

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 03:31:17 pm »

I bought it off Ebay, so will email the fella for a return, if not then i will just sell it any buy some ram that will actually work! I've had a look at my mobo and i can't find more than 2 slots for memory! and also it says i have PCI slots which i can't find either! Thanks for the help!

Char
xxx

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 03:46:03 pm »

Charlotte, depending on your computer, it may only allow a maximum amount of RAM, often 2 GB is the maximum in "newer" cheap computers from Compaq, Dell, HP, and ACER built in 2004-2006.

Ancienthighway is right, but most modern RAM is "self pairing", so RAM no longer needs to always be installed in matched pairs as was formerly often the case.  Many motherboards only have 2 RAM slots and ship from the maker with a single stick of RAM when they are built into mass-manufactured pre-made systems.

It would be helpful of you could inform me of the make and model of your computer, this may help determine if you have a RAM maximum limit.

PCI slots can be "virtual" - meaning they don't exst in a practical since, but the guts are there but being used by "built-on" parts of the motherboard.  If we are talking about a PCI-Express slot, god only knows what size or shape it might be.

A PCI slot is a pretty obvious bit of a motherboard, so if it is there, you would not miss it.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 03:48:31 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 03:59:57 pm »

I have done this in a progamme that idownloaded to tell me my computer specs. Is this any help to you?

Char
xxx

* Report.txt (34.12 KB - downloaded 174 times.)
* Report2.txt (196.43 KB - downloaded 762 times.)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 04:04:34 pm by Charley » Logged

BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 04:10:43 pm »

Charlotte, from the description below , if you have a 2GB stick, then it must be the ONLY stick of RAM installed, otherwise the System will not read all the RAM available.  In the print outs, your system informs us that both RAM slots are occupied, this may be the problem.

Albatron PM266A PRO (2001)
Description:

Feature
Intel Pentium® 4 Processor (Celeron/Willamette/Northwood)
Socket 478 with FSB 400/533MHz
2 DDR266/200 Memory Sockets
6 channel AC 97 Audio
VIA 10/100 Ethernet LAN
2 ATA133 Channels, up to 4 ATA 133 IDE Devices
6 USB 2.0/1.1 Ports (4 ports by optional cable)
Integrated ProSavage8 2D/3D Graphics
Support Hyper-Threading Technology

Processor
Socket 478 Intel Pentium® 4 Processor (Celeron/Willamette/Northwood)

FSB
400/533MHz

Chipset
North Bridge : VIA VT8751A (P4M266A Ver:CE)
South Bridge : VIA VT8235
Audio Codec : VIA VT1616
LAN Chip : VIA VT6103
I/O Chip : Winbond W83697HF

Memory
2 * DDR Sockets
DDR266/DDR200 NON-ECC DDR SDRAM up to 2GB <-- Important
Note1: (If you do install DDR 333/400 memory, it will perform at DDR 266 speeds)

Expansion Slots
1 x AGP(2.0) 4X slot (1.5V only)
3 x PCI slots (PCI 2.2 compliant)

IDE Connectors
2 ATA133 channels, up to 4 ATA 133 IDE devices

Onboard I/O Connectors
1 x Floppy Connector
2 x USB 2.0/1.1 header (4 ports USB cable optional)
1 x CD_IN header
1 x COM (serial) port header (Optional COM cable)
1 x S/PDIF out header (S/PDIF out cable optional)
1 x CPU fan header with fan rotation detection function
1 x System fan headers with fan rotation detection function
2 x 5 pin system panel header (Intel spec)
1 x 3 pin Power LED header
1 x Front audio header (Intel spec)
1 x IrDA header
1 x Case Open detection header

I/O via Back Panel
PS/2 keyboard/mouse, 2 x USB(2.0/1.1), 1 x VGA , 1 x Com(serial), 1 x Parallel, 1x Game/Line-in/Lin-out/MIC

Power
20-pin ATX power connector, 4-pin ATX 12V power connector

BIOS Feature
2Mb Flash EEPROM
Award BIOS with ACPI, DMI2.0, PnP, WfM2.0, Green
Suspend to RAM (S3), Suspend to Disk (S4)
Wake on keyboard/mouse, Wake on LAN/RTC Timer

Hardware Monitoring
2 FAN sensors, CPU/System voltages and temperature monitoring

Special Feature
Watch Dog Timer (auto-reset system when it can not handle overclock configurations)

Form Factor
Micro ATX (244mm x 225mm)

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
Charley

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 04:20:28 pm »

okay let me just have a quick look and i will be back on in a min!

Char
xxx

Charley

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 04:24:24 pm »

Nope there isn't more than one stick of Ram in there! i have an AGP graphics card, could that be a memory space?

Char
xxx

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: