Insimenator.org
April 25, 2024, 02:17:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: ATTENTION! New Body Shop Bug!!!!111!1eleven  (Read 33615 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:08:04 pm »

I have been experiencing all manner of problems with my game in the past few weeks, and I finally discovered what the problem is.

Body Shop is including a whole copy of the Sims06.package from the base game with Sims packaged with some version of Body Shop.

I checked random Sims on the Exchange, TSR, MTS2, and InSIM. It appears to be a wide-spread post Bon Voyage bug. *oh joy! more evidence they did not one god damned test of this software before they shipped it to market*

You will need to use Sims2Pack Clean Installer to locate the "no category" files with junk-code name (e.g., b18484e15a91c5a039d61f635d15d7c3.package), the file size will be about 6.8 MB, double check the file in SimPE, and you will easily see that this is indeed the Sims06.package.

Delphy's Download Organiser -- an otherwise relable and useful tool -- was of no benefit in identifying these files, however it did give false positives on a wide number of "duplicates" that weren't duplicates, no doubt because of the freak occurance of 41 copies of the Sims06.package file being in the mix.

I just deleted 41 copies of this file! The presence of 41 un-needed copies of the Sims06.package did NOT help my game play better! *way to go you dullards at EA/Maxis*

I also ended up deleting over 300 redundant copies of meshes *a joy of the post-Pets Body Shop - EA/Maxis retards at work again* (which was made more problematic by the junk-code renaming and JFade's compression thing changing the checksum number) - this is insane and wasteful! The presence of 328 un-needed copies of custom meshes I already had installed did NOT help my game play better! *way to go you dullards at EA/Maxis*

SO after 28 cumulative hours of crawling through 1000s of files, my game is sane again.

Someone needs to slap the development team at EA toothless. Death to EA/Maxis! Hanging's too good for 'em!  Burning's to good for 'em!  We need to just kill them to death a lot even! :rant:

Edit - Marvine points out that 1) i need more sleep and 2) the file I keep calling Sims05.package is actually Sims06.package -- I cannot fault here data on either.... talk about error propagation.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:11:09 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
SkeleBear

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 05:45:09 pm »

You have suddenly made me VERY HAPPY that I do not yet have 'Bon Voyage.'

Thanks for the warning.

Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 05:59:02 pm »

:jaw:

I second what Cocytus said.  My game has bad enough issues with all the content I have.  :oogle:

CynaraBlade

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 06:50:02 pm »

Wow, what a blow to the head this is, on top of the SecuROM fiasco at that! Now, while I do have BV installed and am yet to experience any issues, this is certainly making me consider uninstalling...And here I was, thinking that EA games had cleaned up their act after the Pets EP BodyShop backwards-compatability disaster...

:blob6:
fftamfan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:25:40 pm »

Wow what a pain in the ass. I too noticed the Sims05.package file/files while sorting and organizing my files but thought nothing of it, thought it was something added when installing the pre-order items?. EAxis really screwed up big time, with this and the respawning and lousy anti-piracy software securom. Thanks for pointing them out, now i know its safe to delete them.
jaccirocker
Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 09:09:42 pm »

well thanks for this, my game has started BSOD again so this may help. I BV but I'm really tired of the bugs that come with each new EP
bre

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 09:18:51 pm »

Oh my goodness. I had noticed some odd extra files in my s2ps, but I'd deleted them with clean installer, not knowing what they were. I'll remember this when I'm itching to get the new EP next time. *rolls eyes*

Me on MTS2

(2nd) -  Olka Koval Wedding Makeover (tied), Newlyweds with Erica and David-Jacob, A Family Christmas with The Feldmans
(3rd) - Betty Goldstein Makeover
lewisb40
Sims 3? Yeah, I like it.

Hard Poop!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 09:37:28 pm »

Thanks for this notice. I did a search in my sims 2 folder and found one. It was 6.6 MB.  I don't download too many sims in my game, but it is good to know about the file, cause I considered uploading sims from my game and will be watching out for that file when I package my sims. Wow!

Michael J. Jackson - Best Entertainer in the World! 1958-2009  Sleep in Peace, Dear Prince.
AjaAja

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 09:51:56 pm »

Does this only happen to people who have come in contact with BV? I don't have BV and I only have a few pre-BV downloads and that's it...

If my avatar is a girl, it's most likely me
CBC (Come Back Campaign)! One post can make a difference. Join here!
Best contest ever, Beauty of the Decades. Join here!
Have my self-sim for yourself Wink. Get me  here!
bear5000

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 10:03:01 pm »

I found the file thank you sooo much for the info, I have to agree kill them all anything else is just too good for the little roaches!!!
BeosBoxBoy
Silent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 11:10:46 pm »

AjaAja - at the moment, the bug seems to be limted to Sims packaged with the version of Body Shop that is installed by Bon Voyage EP; the file it includes (id est, Sims05.package) is one of the base game's root file for Maxis meshes that everyone already has installed (otherwise the game won't work).  But as you will read below, it may spread like a virus to non-BV versions of the game fairly quickly.

The problem is one that Sim-makers need to be aware of, and a problem downloaders of Sims need to guard against.  For instance, when I went to the Exchange, all of the sims I downloaded were labelled as requiring only the basic game or those EPs which I have installed (I do not have Bon Voyage or Pets EPs installed and did not re-install any of the stuff packs on this latest re-install) - but upon close inspection of the files the Sims2Packs that contained the duplicate Sims05.package were all made with Bon Voyage EP's Body Shop and carry the Bon Voyage EP version stamp.

The chief hazard is that this file is almost always renamed in the Sims2Pack to some bizarre name of letters and numbers, and is not easily differentiated from a mesh that has already passed through Body Shop's renaming process.  The bizarre number-and-letters name is not a way to identify the file.  I had three files named b18484e15a91c5a039d61f635d15d7c3:

b18484e15a91c5a039d61f635d15d7c3.package <-- Sims06.package renamed
b18484e15a91c5a039d61f635d15d7c3_0001.package <-- a recolour of Kavar's Edge hair
b18484e15a91c5a039d61f635d15d7c3_0002.package <-- a custom object recolour

The file was renamed 41 unique names in my Downloads folder and was of different sizes and MD5 checksum numbers -- I can only assume that the various game patches and JFade's The Compressorizer! account for the different sizes and checksums.

I located 1000s of Sims in Sims2Pack files on the Exchange, MTS2, TSR, InSIM, and other sites that all have this file inside the Sims2Pack.  In one instance, I found a Sims2Pack with a file size over 18 MB with 3 copies of the file in it.  The bug operates like a virus, a trojan in fact, spreading the infection to subsequent installations of the game and raising the risk that any Sims2Pack'ed sim you create subsequently may include the redundant file.

I think this risk may be limited to persons with Pets EP, Seasons, EP, and Bon Voyage EP, because these versions of the game install a Body Shop that includes meshes, and the Sims05.package file constitutes a portion of Maxis meshes.  I checked Sims2Packs I created with my Seasons EP Body Shop and the file had propagated into the Sims2Pack from my downloads folder.

So if this bug isn't fixed with great urgency, then very soon this issue will proliferate like a virus accross the entire on-line sims community resulting in potential problems for all Simmers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:09:44 pm by ~Marvine~ » Logged

"There is a certain elegance in wasting time. Any fool can waste money, but when you waste time you waste what is priceless."
-- Maugham, W. Somerset. Ashenden: Or the British Agent.
homerette

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 01:15:23 am »

WTF is wrong with the freaks at EA?!
dreamcatchermwh

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 01:41:05 am »

O.K. so what should i look for and delete.UM...in laymans terms .Thank you if you could help me.

Appreciation is a wonderful thing . It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.:grin:
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 03:45:09 am »

Quote from: beosboxboy;996772
I think this risk may be limited to persons with Pets EP, Seasons, EP, and Bon Voyage EP, because these versions of the game install a Body Shop that includes meshes, and the Sims05.package file constitutes a portion of Maxis meshes.  I checked Sims2Packs I created with my Seasons EP Body Shop and the file had propagated into the Sims2Pack from my downloads folder.

:pale:  Aw, man... not Seasons, too!  I'd better check my stuff just to be on the safe side... :?

verenaheu

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2007, 04:26:58 am »

I´ve found it also in my DL Folder,a pretty while ago already, but at a moment when I had nearly nothing inside yet, since I´ve restarted with BV. I´ve deleted it at once, wondering wth it was. Thanks to you, now I know! I´m glad I only have identifiable files in my DL, so I can throw out all the filthy dirt at once! Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: