Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 02:55:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your take on Securom?  (Read 21694 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
SnowWolff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

Hi all~well after reading all the blogs i thought i'd throw my 2 cents in lol~ i have all the EP's except apartment life & i dont have ikea but i have 3 SP's~the only probs ive had is after i dwnload my 1st game(deluxe) i have to manually install all my other games. Ive had no issues with my Sims2(knock on wood) but that also could be due to the killer security proggy i use~if there's anything nasty on my puter it alerts me and gets rid of it asap.Im keepin my fingers crossed  that after i buy apartment life i continus error free.
Happy Simming & Insimenator Rocks for all the cool stuff for our games.
tallsimsfan77

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 09:48:22 pm »

After I read the horror stories about suckurom, I literally quit buying the games after buying Pets, which I no longer have installed on my computer since CAS crashes.  Let me give you a hint to the order of which I obtained my EPs:  Nightlife, Uni, Pets,
Glamour Life/Happy Holiday, Seasons, BV.

And to date, I have no problems with the game.

Sigs are for smokers.
RanaAurora

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2008, 02:07:12 pm »

While I've had absolutely no issues with SecuROM, I'm still very concerned.  
The company "Stardock' has a 'Gamer Bill of Rights' which I would totally support.  It includes things like the right to know when software is being installed on your system, the right to know what that software does, etc.
The privacy issues that SecuROM breeches make me angry with EA.  No program - that I was NOT informed was installing - should be able to affect other programs on MY personal computer.

That said, the idea of boycotting EA is a little more than I can take.  I have every single thing released for TS2 except for IKEA stuff.
Paden
Admin

Great cat of NO mercy.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 08:31:25 pm »

Guys, the versions of SecuROM vary from EP to EP. They have gone to a harsher version with AL and I invite you to check out what people are saying over at the PRISM and Reclaim Your Game. This site hosts a button for RYG on the front page. It's not all in the imaginations of the people affected, trust me. I was one of them and I went through hell.

I'm not a button, so DO NOT PUSH ME.
roger9

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 03:39:47 pm »

Update from me on SecuROM (aptly sub-titled suckurom by someone):  My game crashes regularly & if I didn't value BV so much, I'd give it away with its Prima Guide & reload the game to Seasons as the last update that is worthy.  I find these 2 files each time before I start up (Accessory.cache & Groups.cache) & delete them. The game will regenerate these files without the screwups in them-- there may be other screwups but this lightens the load.  It takes longer to start the program but I get fewer lockups & crashes.  I have no intention of buying anymore Sims2 add-ons & I certainly would not buy Sims3 & let those wild buccaneers from EA into my computer further.  Soon there will be other 3D games that don't involve recharging electronic killer blasters or driving at amazing speeds.  I don't trust the guys at EA not to write programs directly into my computer from their computers.  EA computer, writing directly to Roger's computer in Ring0: EA puter--"You will do exactly what I say." Roger's puter-- "Yes master."  Unhappy simming, Roger9.
HenryJoe

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 11:53:28 pm »

I have all 8 EPs from Uni to Apartment Life, but no 'Stuff' packs. I installed them all in order, applying the patch to each (except Apt life of course), after each install. I also have ZERO Custom Content at the moment (waiting on InSim though:))

My game works fine for me. No problems, except the Sims 2 launcher sometimes doesn't want to start the game. It will either freeze up (where then I have to 'End Task' to unfreeze and try again), or I restart my computer and launch again and it will be fine.

Other than that one thing, everything else has been working fine so far (crosses fingers)...

**I am currently running Window XP Professional, Service Pack 3. I also have a Intel Quad Q6600 CPU, 4GB of 2x2GB OCZ Platinum XTC ram, 1000 watt SilverStone Power Supply, and 2 Galaxy GeForce 8800GT running in SLI. My motherboard is an Asus P5N32-E.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 11:58:46 pm by HenryJoe » Logged

"In The Darkness Casts My Light Shadow"

-HenryJoe
andy_matthews

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2008, 11:27:29 pm »

Just out of curiousity, am I safe to buy Uni, NL, Pets, and any of the SPs up to Seasons?

EA is seriously paranoid over pirates...

But this charade, is never going to last
So pick the poison, and pour yourself a glass
I still feel the same
No-one's to blame
EKozski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2008, 11:31:08 pm »

I have up to OFB and no SecuROM

The Sims 3.........NO!
 Resident Creator at ColorSims
andy_matthews

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2008, 11:44:24 pm »

Known EA Games according to the Wikipedia- Pet Stories, Deluxe, H&M Fashion, and Bon Voyage

But this charade, is never going to last
So pick the poison, and pour yourself a glass
I still feel the same
No-one's to blame
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2008, 08:04:03 am »

That was before.  If you're buying a newer disk of the older EPs at any retail dealer now (Seasons and below)  they have a greater chance of containing SecuRom on them, since a lot of those disks were re-produced and shipped again.  Sad

MoronStyle7

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2008, 11:33:34 pm »

Muwahahaha! I just dont use the original .exe, I dont like SecuROM crappyness.
Michele

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2008, 01:26:10 am »

Securom needs to be outlawed.
We buy a product, not a service.
Oxymoron there as most of these have atrocious help.
Some of this stuff I expect to still be using when EA is long dead and gone. Not unlike what they did to Origin Games. I still play Ultima Games on occasion. THe Securom and other malware on Spore, Sims 3, and beyond will steal this option from you.

I bought each CD/DVD and will use No-CD/No Secorom cracks as the game actually has run better and without the most egregious bugs since I began using them after the release of BV.

Watch your firewall the launcher likes to write home.
Launch your game the old maxis way, with the EP exe, preferrably cracked.
Sunwolf94

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2008, 04:42:10 pm »

I'm a little confused. what is everyone talking about? what is securom?

I am an idiot so I can't make you custom content............. but......... i can make you sims 2 movies!!!!!!!!!!! yay! http://sunnyssims.webs.com/
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2008, 05:21:39 pm »

Quote from: Sunwolf94;1381828
I'm a little confused. what is everyone talking about? what is securom?

:smile bi:  Sites linked once again in MaryH's signature:

http://www.reclaimyourgame.com/
http://www.the-prism.com/

Go there to learn more about what it can do, and why so many people despise it.  Wink

tallsimsfan77

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2008, 09:28:59 pm »

My final opinion on secuROM: Companies should realise that people are going to both buy and pirate the games that they put out, no matter how big of a booby trap you set up; however, considering that it's in The Sims franchise, the absolute majority are going to buy the game, even through the countless rants about how the games are buggy and lagging quality.  After all- once the games were released with SecuROM instead of Safedisk, the games became lower in caliber.  Also, the company clearly underestimated the ability of Scandinavian college students.  Otherwise I wouldn't have Bon Voyage today. Tongue

Sigs are for smokers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: