Insimenator.org
March 28, 2024, 11:06:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Paysite Discussion Thread  (Read 75029 times)
0 Members and 1 Chinese Bot are viewing this topic.
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2007, 05:56:30 pm »

Thank you.  That's much better and much more believable.  Wink

Wonder what EA plans on doing next.  I still say they if they're going to allow paysites to continue what they're doing, they should have a type of permit/license available for them to purchase and certain rules to follow.  Don't know exactly how it works, but it would make me feel more comfortable if they did something like that... (:roll: Laughable, yes.  What I just typed is extremely wishful thinking.  Especially with what the third paragraph in the EULA says.  :lol:)

Dr_Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2007, 06:00:59 pm »

Yes, EA is pretty much trying to keep themselves OUT of this, they certainly don't want to become responsible for paysites (or any Sims2 fansites for that matter)
sakrayami

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 19, 2007, 11:17:58 am »

Where has EA made paysites legal? If they do that, i can go to EA and complain about broken peggyhair, or be it other paysitestuff. If they make paysites legal, they also will have responsible for WHAT they are making legal.

It's not that difficult to create CC, i have done this myself for own use, but i can't see why i should claim money if i uploaded it? Because EA allows me to do that, is it what some of you are saying? And where has EA outlawed Filesharing?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 12:13:20 pm by sakrayami » Logged

:love3:

~Sakrayami~
Tenshii~Akari
(~TA12~)
Super Mod

(~* Go Pink: Find the Cure *~)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: August 19, 2007, 01:37:47 pm »

Well, not saying that they have made paysites legal, but to me their inactivity and unwillingness to make a decision in the matter just speaks louder than anything else they've done, unfortunately.  (...of course, they also haven't said anything on filesharing custom content either, so it's still going to continue without a doubt.  :smile bi:)  I'm just saying if they do allow paysites to legally continue being the way they are, they might as well have more say about it.  It's their product, so they should at least be clearer on what's really legal and what's not, especially in the case of selling CC...

The changes to the EULA still don't give a clear stance on the paysite issue, IMHO.  Just because "non-commercial" was removed, we can't really know for sure what EA is planning on doing... :dontknow:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 06:27:55 pm by Tenshii~Akari » Logged

sakrayami

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 19, 2007, 02:27:00 pm »

Yes i agree they could have been clearer.  But imo., the EULA i agreed when installing my latest EP is the valid one. Not a "new" statement who have taking away a paragrah of non-commercial use on a custom content browser (pardon my english). I haven't agreed on this socalled new EULa. Isn't this EULA for the software content manager? I understand that paysites, like TSR is making their own versions who fits them of course, it's money involved here, i can only speak for myself, i am not interested in this business,, money is not the problem, but it's a moral question.

Anyway, this will not change anything, paysites can't go out and tell people that they are legal, unless they have signed a contract with EA, and we all know that this is not true or possible, the EA would look stupid compared to other game-communities, i haven't seen this debate before in my entire life.

But if - i say IF EA should legalize paysites, i will uninstall my game and play other games, not from EA, Sims 2 is not my life, i have work and family, this is just a hobby for now.

:love3:

~Sakrayami~
Phycosymo

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 19, 2007, 06:15:56 pm »

Quote from: Dr_Pixel;888271
Yes, EA is pretty much trying to keep themselves OUT of this, they certainly don't want to become responsible for paysites (or any Sims2 fansites for that matter)

I think thats becuase they have allready had legal problems with the sims 2, evil tyrant jack thompson allready attacked TS2 beacuase of adult custom content, now EA has to face almost a whole freaking community, compared to a weak lawyer. (he blames video games at any very imfamous event, like the virginia tech shooting) EA doesnt want to
deal with it...

Yes, You! Stand Still Laddie!
Dr_Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 20, 2007, 06:11:09 pm »

Please look at the link I gave a few posts above - it is an announcement on the EA site that the EULA of the Content Manager is now the official EULA for the game itself and all expansions.

And it does, in fact, have all the "non commercial" references removed.
It also makes no reference to sharing files - but it didn't before, either.

Are paysites now legal?  That is misleading, since they never were illegal - a EULA is a two-party contract, not a law.  Before this, you could validly make the claim that paysites were in violation of the EULA, or guilty of Breach of Contract.  Now you can not.

Do you (I am using "you" in the collective sense) have to agree to the new EULA?  Not now, not until they actually put it into an expansion pack that you install - and they have said that it is too late to include this new EULA in the next expansion.

However, what you do in regards to the EULA has no bearing on what other people do - once again, a EULA is a two party contract, not a public law.  What I mean is that I am not bound in any way by a EULA that someone else accepts, only by a EULA that I accept myself.

The idea that Maxis/EA has any responsibility for user-made content is also false - they allow people to make and distribute it, but they clearly say that they do not endorse it, and you are supposed to include that statement on your website.

They even take it further, by putting up that warning notice when you start the game saying that the custom content you have installed could damage your game, and you must purposely click on the button to allow custom content to stay in your game at that point.  Basically this amounts to another contract, relieving them of any responsibility for custom content of any kind, pay or free.
Inge Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: August 21, 2007, 03:40:42 am »

And what benefit hassling EA to take responsibility for user-made content can bring I do not know.  If we succeeded in that, they'd simply ban user-made content!

Someone will now make the point that they would be silly to do that because the sales of the game will decrease.  Well we now know the sales would probably decrease by no more than 5% at the most, as EA have published some research showing that only 5% of their users ever download any of the patches.   They seem to think that this may mean only that many users actually use the internet to help them enjoy the game.  I think it may mean that too.

SimLogical
Please do not PM me with questions about modding.  Please post in an appropriate forum and send me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Meganne

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 21, 2007, 03:59:43 am »

Quote from: Dr_Pixel;891452
Please look at the link I gave a few posts above - it is an announcement on the EA site that the EULA of the Content Manager is now the official EULA for the game itself and all expansions.

Actually that's a link to a post by Maxoid that is not part of the legal office of EA. Seems that the legal office of EA states that the Content Manager EULA sends you to the EULA you received with your game, the one with non-commercial references.  
That would make sense since we didn't accept any other agreement.

I would suggest to everybody really interested on this matter to call 650-628-1500 press 0 and ask to speak to the legal department.

"Cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one"

Join The Animal Army!
Phycosymo

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 21, 2007, 06:16:46 pm »

Quote from: Dr_Pixel;891452

And it does, in fact, have all the "non commercial" references removed.
It also makes no reference to sharing files - but it didn't before, either.

Are paysites now legal? That is misleading, since they never were illegal - a EULA is a two-party contract, not a law. Before this, you could validly make the claim that paysites were in violation of the EULA, or guilty of Breach of Contract. Now you can not.

Do you (I am using "you" in the collective sense) have to agree to the new EULA? Not now, not until they actually put it into an expansion pack that you install - and they have said that it is too late to include this new EULA in the next expansion.

However, what you do in regards to the EULA has no bearing on what other people do - once again, a EULA is a two party contract, not a public law. What I mean is that I am not bound in any way by a EULA that someone else accepts, only by a EULA that I accept myself.

The idea that Maxis/EA has any responsibility for user-made content is also false - they allow people to make and distribute it, but they clearly say that they do not endorse it, and you are supposed to include that statement on your website.

They even take it further, by putting up that warning notice when you start the game saying that the custom content you have installed could damage your game, and you must purposely click on the button to allow custom content to stay in your game at that point. Basically this amounts to another contract, relieving them of any responsibility for custom content of any kind, pay or free.

That clears things up...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 06:21:57 pm by Phycosymo » Logged

Yes, You! Stand Still Laddie!
MaryH

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 26, 2007, 06:28:20 am »

The argument about EULA is mind-boggling, to say the least. Maxis is trying, I think, to absent themselves from being responsible for any CC being installed, having players complain about it to them, and then not being responsible for the content of the paysites themselves.
Which makes sense-why should Maxis be compelled to take charge over hundreds of paysites which are the property of other people? that would be a headache and a half!
My personal complaint about paysites is their sheer ability to charge people to download things that may or may not work, and then claim they're doing it for little or no fees, to complain of poverty. I don't know what bandwidth costs now, (and never did, actually) but some of the claims saying that some paysites will go out of business if you don't donate yesterday to their cause is misleading. True, some do go out of business, but for the majority, if they do go down, it's only because of lack of interest on the part of the owner and the people who download from it. Lousy content will do a paysite in faster than no money.
I am tending to avoid paysites when they partition off their creations to select people who are willing to fork over whatever they have to to get something that is sometimes very mediocre, and then buy into other sites (usually also pay) supporting that same mediocre content-it's a very locked circle and it's not very user friendly for those of us who don't want to give out their money to everyone in the universe that is Sims 2.
I'm just not willing to send my hard-earned money out to support another person's hobby.

baileybop
Squinge Is My Mastah

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2007, 08:30:46 pm »

I fell into the trap of "paysites", big time. What a terrible mistake that was. After my downloads folder was just rudiculously large I began to purge it. And to my surprise, most of the things I purged were from pay-sites. I was furious at myself for the wasted money.
Seems to me the best route would be to upload your creations to a site like this one, donate on a regular basis, and you just aviod all the hassle. To pay a set price for something just doesn't sit well with me. Of course it is only my opinion that the prices are too high for the quality. I've seen many pay-sites vanish over the years, and I must say, I don't miss them.
I do however have no objection to having something extrordinarily well done being offered on a free site for pay, as an incentive to donate to help defray the costs of bandwidth on a site this size.
So many people come here, grab what they want and leave with nary a thought to the time the creator put into the item, or the time Kathy and Eric devote to this site.

I stalk...... oh no, I mean I worship the Hack_Mastah, Squinge :worship:
Meganne

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 04, 2007, 12:22:17 am »

Quote from: Babe2Me;893088
I don't understand why people think they can just pick up a phone and make a call to such a large company any time they want to...
The nerve of some...
What does this accomplish?? NOTHING...
Well young/old and still playing those phone games I suppose.
EA doesn't give a rats behind how many phone calls they get.
They have people that are situated in little cubby cubes just for this
kind of call....And you thought you were getting the executive office?? HA

I work for a big corporation and yes we've customer relation reps in the legal department. By the way I find interesting that in one year you found the time to post only twice: the post I just quoted plus another one pointing directly to a paysite. Makes me wonder... Plus... how come that people that can find money to give to paysites cannot support Insimenator?

"Cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one"

Join The Animal Army!
Nymphy
Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: October 09, 2008, 05:45:30 am »

This thread has now been inactive for a while, but I think this is the most suitable place for this..

A recent debate is going on at ReflexForum here that some of you may be very interested in. Its a debate about whether paysites should be able to share personal information to prevent file sharers or not.

The debate is happening after it was revealed (and is still being revealed) that TSR site owner/admins are sharing paypal and personal information with their team - staff and FAs - in a very vindictive manner. This includes usernames, email address, and real names. If you follow links on the threads then you can see them for yourselves

Points of interest in this are that it is against Paypals agreement to do so, its against members trust to do so, and the manner of it being done is quite nasty. So, do you think they are right to do so? And furthermore, do they have the right?

Am posting this as I think this is important for members here at Insim, as they may be subscribers at TSR or just simply interested in it. So if mods wonder why I woke up an old thread with this, those are my reasons. Have linked to Reflex and Coconut's LJ instead of booty links..so I pesume that is ok. If not, then please let me know ^^

Inge Jones

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: October 09, 2008, 05:46:58 am »

TSR have a statement up refuting that they use the information in this way.  Is there a way of proving it one way or the other?

SimLogical
Please do not PM me with questions about modding.  Please post in an appropriate forum and send me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19
  Print  

Jump to: